2014 Monster 1200S questions... - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Garage
Bughaboo, I understand this completely, but what you're saying is applicable to every brake system in existence. My statement is that there is an inherent design flaw with the rear brake line routing which accelerates the entry of air into the hydraulic circuit.

Your regiment could possibly take all the air out of the line perfectly and for good. However, we don't know this for a fact because your need to have a working back brake (as do I) so you don't give it a chance to fail and preemptively remove any possible air. So in essence like me you don't have faith in the way Ducati made the back brake hydraulic circuit and compensate by bleeding the line every 2 months, which I believe you shouldn't have to do.

I've had plenty of bikes with brake fluid that went black but never once lost line pressure because air never got into the line in sufficient quantities (yes I was young and dumb). I've read of people paying for some super high priced brake fluid (Castrol SRF racing brake fluid at $95 for a bottle 1L bottle

) with a higher boiling point to try and mitigate the situation with these bikes. Yes it does work to a degree, but why should we have to go this route or do a by monthly gymnastics routine to make a rear brake work.. we shouldn't. That's all I was saying.

Cheers.
Buhgaboo likes this.

----------------

Eastcoast Ducati Hoodlum.
Ride: 2014 M1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakman View Post
Bughaboo, I understand this completely, but what you're saying is applicable to every brake system in existence. My statement is that there is an inherent design flaw with the rear brake line routing which accelerates the entry of air into the hydraulic circuit.

Your regiment could possibly take all the air out of the line perfectly and for good. However, we don't know this for a fact because your need to have a working back brake (as do I) so you don't give it a chance to fail and preemptively remove any possible air. So in essence like me you don't have faith in the way Ducati made the back brake hydraulic circuit and compensate by bleeding the line every 2 months, which I believe you shouldn't have to do.

I've had plenty of bikes with brake fluid that went black but never once lost line pressure because air never got into the line in sufficient quantities (yes I was young and dumb). I've read of people paying for some super high priced brake fluid (Castrol SRF racing brake fluid at $95 for a bottle 1L bottle https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all) with a higher boiling point to try and mitigate the situation with these bikes. Yes it does work to a degree, but why should we have to go this route or do a by monthly gymnastics routine to make a rear brake work.. we shouldn't. That's all I was saying.

Cheers.
Admittedly it's a design conundrum...there's a separate chamber with a motor used for re-establishing the pressure in the brake line that is isolated and prohibitively difficult to bleed... but once air is freed from the chamber; normal bleeding procedures work...you won't get it right on the first attempt... probably not the second either...none of which help dispell any methodology to bleed it correctly which is why somewhere on the fifth attempt where people start taking note of what they are doing and perpetuate wild theories to the solution...it really is a palm to the face moment once the problems are addressed....if you objectively seek out the air re-entering you will see the essence of my statement/argument....that said...you absolutely have to remove the caliper to remove the last bit of air...once it's gone and steps are maintained to keep it out it's really a simple procedure

As to my 2 mo. Service interval ...I live in a horribly humid area and I love to wrench on my brakes into a corner...factor in great pressure differentials from altitude it's impossible to keep moisture out and you will notice your braking markers moving further and further from the corner...I just switched to motul 600f in an attempt to extend the interval....time will tell

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode