Severe bogging at WOT/popping sound - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randall Askew

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Severe bogging at WOT/popping sound

Hi all. I searched far and wide but cannot find a solution to my issue. So I will start with accurate bike history... I just bought a used 620ie monster. Before I bout it, it was sitting for about 6 months. Also the bike had bad gas while sitting.. So soon after buying bike, I drained the old gas, and added seafoam, along with new gas (regular unleaded..maybe mistake??).. Bike would just turn over but no start, I checked over all things electrical by this point. So...I put the bike into a mechanics shop. A week later, bike finally starts! He said a line connected to my fuel pump was clogged, thus preventing my fuel pump to activate. So I ride this bike home, and it runs great!! Only thing I noticed was that throttle was touch and reved high when barely moved?? So next day, I get up to go ride again and now it runs horrible! Stuttering, dying at low idle, it bogs really bad if I give it throttle and almost dies at WOT. Also, I hear a popping noise in the gas tank when I'm at WOT. But as of now, I'm stumped. So what I've done so far.

Changed fuel filter
Added 1/4 seafoam to gas tank
Ran more seafoam thru throttle body at idle
Check all air hoses
Cleaned and air blowed fuel injectors with conpressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Also, I've changed both spark plugs with new OEM ones
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Going to replace my fuel pump this weekend as I think it may be my issue. I have all the symptoms of a failing fuel pump. Will keep updated.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Ordered new fuel pump and new fuel level sensor set up. As I pulled out my old pump, I reconnected and turn on my ignition and noticed that the pump only "whirred" for barely 1 second. And the fuel level sensor positive and negative wires going to the fuel pp were openly exposed. I could have soldered them back and heat shrunk but just decided to throw it all away.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

BTW, Ducati OEM fuel pumps for an 03' monster and level sensors are expensive!! You may could get away with a aftermarket fuel pump but I've noticed that the furl level sensors for this model are hard to find unless you order from a Ducati dealer. I paid $265 for the sensor alone and it has to be shipped from Italy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

So I guess no one knew the solution to this issue. 😕. Well my new fuel level sensor arrived today, I installed it along with the new pp...andddd problem solved! I feel very lucky to have dodged a hefty mechanic repair bill. Ducati dealer was gonna charge me about $510 for their parts, not including labor. Total I spent replacing this myself was $315. Took my 620 monster for a test ride earlier. The power is back! 😈😁
breaddrink likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

*fuel pump
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 PM

Glad to hear you got it solved! I might have to take some notes off your experience and apply on my 796! Thanks and great job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode