M821 Rizoma bar / Ohlins damper - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

M821 Rizoma bar / Ohlins damper

Hello all,

I'm currently looking into swapping out the bar on my '16 M821 for something with a bit more of an aggressive stance...I also want to be able to run the Ducabike/Ohlins damper combo.

Does anybody have any experience with these two together?

The most common set-up I've seen involves the Rizoma bar with the Rizoma riser, but you can't run a damper with that set-up (at least I haven't seen it).

Thanks!
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Garage
Ditch the damper....get your suspension adjusted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Ditch the damper....get your suspension adjusted
It's on my to-do list to have the rear shock set (I usually just use my Monster for street riding, but I may do a track day or two on it this year since I got rid of my SV650 track bike); however, I'd like to swap out the bar and have the option for the damper if it's still needed.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
Before I go into a damper tirade...what's your height weight?...the bike is tuned for a 170lb rider...any more or less than that and proper springs will have worlds of improvement over the band-aid you want to strap on...apologies but I have zero love for the damper

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 01-10-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Without gear, I walk around 145-150 (not a big guy by any means).

Point taken that investing in cartridges for the front will probably yield better results (and are similar in price); however, I'm looking into just swapping the stock bar for a Rizoma one.

How are you liking the Woodcraft clip-on's though? What's your front-end set up? If you have a few more pictures, mind posting them? Thanks!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKovatch View Post
Without gear, I walk around 145-150 (not a big guy by any means).

Point taken that investing in cartridges for the front will probably yield better results (and are similar in price); however, I'm looking into just swapping the stock bar for a Rizoma one.

How are you liking the Woodcraft clip-on's though? What's your front-end set up? If you have a few more pictures, mind posting them? Thanks!
The rizoma after the riser is about the same as the woodcraft in terms of cost... ergonomically I would lean towards the woodcraft... practicality, woodcraft....style is subjective....they're both aggressive...the woodcraft can be setup in reverse for touring by just flipping the baseplate...you need to redrill holes to make any corrections on the rizoma or grind down the indexing pins on the switch gear...I really like the clipons and it's a necessity once you start ramping up the pace...

With your weight you have options before going into suspension upgrades...put a zip tie on the front fork tube and go for a spirited ride...your looking to measure the amount of suspension your using...your bike is theoretically already upgraded to the next spec of aggressiveness based on your weight so bonus without doing anything... however; your ability or comfort may want to downgrade it....

If the zip tie is barely moving...1. use more front brake....2.switch to a 5wt fork oil...maybe a 0

If your rolling on the throttle and the rear just spins up and your riding the TC around the corner you can try the comfort setting instead of sport and take out a little preload to open it's range

The thing to be mindful of when you start messing with the rear ride height from preload is the bike can become inbalanced ...and that's when you might encounter headshake....but this isn't when you buy a damper....the damper won't fix it...raising the forks in the triple clamps or getting a softer rear spring will get rid of the headshake...take your time...leaning far forward will also pull weight off the rear so play around with posture to get a feel for it's effect first...

Headshake is a sign of instability in the geometry...this is separate from bad landings banging out wheelies...I had violent headshake at 100mph until I corrected the rear preload and have never encountered it since...be patient and don't be afraid to make any adjustments...the demands you ask of the bike should be an indication of the amount of money your willing to pay to get them ...

On another note...the front end of mine is from a 1200s...hit a pothole destroyed the front end...don't ride with a warped brake rotor...ever...since then I've upgraded to ohlins in both the front and rear and sure it's an improvement but the rear shock in terms of valving internally is identical to the stock... off throttle rebound speed is just as slow...right out of the box it needs an upgrade so don't get too hung up on the upgrade...the stock setup is really really well balanced but it's not perfect...I could go on forever...back on point the bars are a good start but it's only 1/3 of the ergonomic equation...rearsets are your next bit...then seat...and next thing you know...your broke and need the valves adjusted...

https://youtu.be/Yxa0M_iZMhM
Yerlifeguard likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
and next thing you know...your broke and need the valves adjusted...
That's what a garage and shop manuals, and LT's manual if he has a current version, are for. Now to find a garage...

As for the geometry, the only issue I've ever seen without a steering damper is at lean, on the gas with the stupid bumpy, sectioned freeway onramps. There used to be a bad one, maybe still is, in San Rafael, CA getting onto 101-S from downtown, 4th or 6th or whatever the one at the end is. Even on my 749s, dialed in from the track, with an Ohlins damper, I would always get it hard on the throttle there.

Like everyone else said: start doing some reading about suspension setups, make decisions about your riding style, buy a vice with some delrin clamps, and start getting to know your bike. I haven't had a damper on my S4R (shitty options anyway) since I got it in 2012, and have had one issue with headshake. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be on the street, but living near Mulholland and Ojai, there were plenty of canyon rides, both solo and 2-up, and I didn't have an issue.

2007 S4R 'Danielle "Dani"'
2003 749s Biposto 'Bjanca' (RIP)
2005 M620ie 'Lola' (Better Home)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Buhgaboo, do you happen to have anymore pictures of your bike with the Woodcraft set-up? I'm curious what the ergonomics look like.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKovatch View Post
Buhgaboo, do you happen to have anymore pictures of your bike with the Woodcraft set-up? I'm curious what the ergonomics look like.
https://xtremesportsphotography.phot...7&po=77&pc=255
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Barber, very nice!

I've yet to make it out that way...I've done COTA though!

The Woodcraft setup is definitely growing on me, fairly easy install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in