Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

M821 Rizoma bar / Ohlins damper

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Buhgaboo 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently looking into swapping out the bar on my '16 M821 for something with a bit more of an aggressive stance...I also want to be able to run the Ducabike/Ohlins damper combo.

Does anybody have any experience with these two together?

The most common set-up I've seen involves the Rizoma bar with the Rizoma riser, but you can't run a damper with that set-up (at least I haven't seen it).

Thanks!
Jon

#3 ·
It's on my to-do list to have the rear shock set (I usually just use my Monster for street riding, but I may do a track day or two on it this year since I got rid of my SV650 track bike); however, I'd like to swap out the bar and have the option for the damper if it's still needed.

#5 ·
Without gear, I walk around 145-150 (not a big guy by any means).

Point taken that investing in cartridges for the front will probably yield better results (and are similar in price); however, I'm looking into just swapping the stock bar for a Rizoma one.

How are you liking the Woodcraft clip-on's though? What's your front-end set up? If you have a few more pictures, mind posting them? Thanks!

#6 ·
Without gear, I walk around 145-150 (not a big guy by any means).

Point taken that investing in cartridges for the front will probably yield better results (and are similar in price); however, I'm looking into just swapping the stock bar for a Rizoma one.

How are you liking the Woodcraft clip-on's though? What's your front-end set up? If you have a few more pictures, mind posting them? Thanks!
The rizoma after the riser is about the same as the woodcraft in terms of cost... ergonomically I would lean towards the woodcraft... practicality, woodcraft....style is subjective....they're both aggressive...the woodcraft can be setup in reverse for touring by just flipping the baseplate...you need to redrill holes to make any corrections on the rizoma or grind down the indexing pins on the switch gear...I really like the clipons and it's a necessity once you start ramping up the pace...

With your weight you have options before going into suspension upgrades...put a zip tie on the front fork tube and go for a spirited ride...your looking to measure the amount of suspension your using...your bike is theoretically already upgraded to the next spec of aggressiveness based on your weight so bonus without doing anything... however; your ability or comfort may want to downgrade it....

If the zip tie is barely moving...1. use more front brake....2.switch to a 5wt fork oil...maybe a 0

If your rolling on the throttle and the rear just spins up and your riding the TC around the corner you can try the comfort setting instead of sport and take out a little preload to open it's range

The thing to be mindful of when you start messing with the rear ride height from preload is the bike can become inbalanced ...and that's when you might encounter headshake....but this isn't when you buy a damper....the damper won't fix it...raising the forks in the triple clamps or getting a softer rear spring will get rid of the headshake...take your time...leaning far forward will also pull weight off the rear so play around with posture to get a feel for it's effect first...

Headshake is a sign of instability in the geometry...this is separate from bad landings banging out wheelies...I had violent headshake at 100mph until I corrected the rear preload and have never encountered it since...be patient and don't be afraid to make any adjustments...the demands you ask of the bike should be an indication of the amount of money your willing to pay to get them ...

On another note...the front end of mine is from a 1200s...hit a pothole destroyed the front end...don't ride with a warped brake rotor...ever...since then I've upgraded to ohlins in both the front and rear and sure it's an improvement but the rear shock in terms of valving internally is identical to the stock... off throttle rebound speed is just as slow...right out of the box it needs an upgrade so don't get too hung up on the upgrade...the stock setup is really really well balanced but it's not perfect...I could go on forever...back on point the bars are a good start but it's only 1/3 of the ergonomic equation...rearsets are your next bit...then seat...and next thing you know...your broke and need the valves adjusted...

https://youtu.be/Yxa0M_iZMhM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.