Anybody go from an 1100evo to an 821 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Charger22

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Anybody go from an 1100evo to an 821

I have a streetfighter 848 and a monster 1100evo. The SF848 is a little too much of a bike for me. I like the Monster but wish it had a slightly smoother motor and low rpm fueling. Thinking of consolidating both into a new 821. Anyone have experience going from a Monster 1100evo to an 821? Feedback appreciated as I am not sure. Also, don't have much excess cash so would need to go from two Ducatis to one.

2013 Streetfighter 848; 2012 Monster 1100 evo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 PM

Why not just get the 1100 tuned?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:59 PM

Garage
@dankatz
IMHO based on what you wrote, I'd trade both for a 1200 Monster or maybe even a 1200 Multi S.
I'm throwing-in the Multi idea only because you have not described the type of riding you do.
The SF and the Monster are somewhat very similar.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Garage
I have the 821 and the power is going to be fairly close to the 848 without the lean angle... the 821 is reasonably smooth at low RPM and really wakes up above 6k RPM... its like another monster all together... having been on track; the displacement is no replacement in terms of acceleration... If your one to launch off the line to best your friends and then be shy in a corner your going to be let down... if your looking for a track weapon your going to need skill to work around it... bottom line, in a drag race the 1100 is going to win... beyond that the rider is more important... if you have ABS then I would keep the 1100 if you don't have TC than l would say you have to be in go to prison speeds to really need it... You have a great combo now.... don't split up the band

https://youtu.be/rnL0CPxGRf4

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 12-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

The 1100evo is already tuned with the termi/Ecu package. The streetfighter I did take to the track to see if I can get more comfortable on it. I am sure the SF848 is more capable on the track than the monster but in my novice hands I felt more comfortable pushing the Monster in the corners.

The MTS1200 is a terrific bike - my good friend has an mts1200s. I already have a vfr setup for touring which I will not part with.

I love the looks of the sf848 and the motor. Maybe I should just keep it as a Sunday ride.
The 1100evo is due for its major service in 800 miles so maybe that will help some. Just too many bikes with too little time...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Garage
The monster is by far a more street friendly bike...in terms of posture ... what the 1100 lacks in corner performance is more than made up for in acceleration ...this is my first motorcycle ever..and as I've grown in comfort...so has my speed...ohlins front and rear...clipons...racemap...rearsets on the way...crank lightening on the horizon...carbon wheels ...I'm basically turning it into a Street fighter...however, if this is your path i'd stick with the Street fighter for the lean angle alone...the exhaust routing is the Achilles heel in terms of corner performance...I can pin it in a corner and ride the slide full grin...but can't sail into the corner full speed without dragging something....I do still prefer the monster in terms of looks but I'm trying to get to the performance of a proper sports bike

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 12-15-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
I like the Monster but wish it had a slightly smoother motor and low rpm fueling.
First I would try to fix this issue on the Monster before selling it.

Things you can do to improve low rpm fuelling:
- The Termi ECU does not deactivate the O2 sensors. Get some O2 sensor eliminators and it should help below 4000rpm.
- Have you changed your gearing? 14/39 is popular or 15/42.
- Valve adjustment. Runs rough when out of specs.

Another option also is to install a throttle tamer to give you better control of the bike at low throttle opening.

The Monster 821 is a downgrade from the M1100 in regards to brakes, suspension and weight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

The fuelling is not bad, but not as smooth as the SF848 which had a rexxer tune. I was under the impression that the race ecu does eliminate the O2 sensor signal - am I wrong? It will be due for a valve adjustment and that should help. I agree with your comments about weight, suspension and likely brakes. Sound like I should just keep it :-)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
The fuelling is not bad, but not as smooth as the SF848 which had a rexxer tune. I was under the impression that the race ecu does eliminate the O2 sensor signal - am I wrong? It will be due for a valve adjustment and that should help. I agree with your comments about weight, suspension and likely brakes. Sound like I should just keep it :-)
I would even venture to say looks. Weight, suspension, brakes and LOOKS. No the the 821 is ugly but the 1100 are better looking

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
chris, dankatz and LeFraussie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode