What's your other bike? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 43Likes

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Orionengnr, just curious where are you located. I have a friend here in lovely Dayton, OH that rides almost everyday. He has a blog Moto Adventure. I'm sure he would like to here from you. He is always interested in riders like yourself who do not use four wheels. The blog web site. https://motoadventurer.com

Ride as often as you can.
Bud
Main bike 2013 20th Anniversary EVO (192). Other bike 2001 Triumph Bonnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Thanks for asking.
I am in the outskirts of DFW, TX. We get cold, but probably not Dayton cold. I think the coldest weather I have actually ridden any distance in was 17*. That was 25 miles or so each way with a warm-up in the middle, and it was more than enough enough

Best of all, we get cold, stay cold a few days then warm up a little (40* today). We get snow every couple of years, but more than an inch or two only every 5-6 years. Ice some winters, which is worse. We essentially don't have snow removal equipment--there are some trucks that can spread chemicals in advance to keep ice from forming, but snowplows are few and far between and only hit the freeways.

If there is ice on the roads, I take a day off. Half the time it occurs on a weekend, so I have a day or two to let it melt. Staying frozen for 3 days plus has only happened once since I have been here (14 years).

I will check that website, but first I need to pull the front wheel off the GL and get a slow leak fixed. Take care, Rich
BudDaytonMon likes this.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudDaytonMon View Post
Orionengnr, just curious where are you located. I have a friend here in lovely Dayton, OH that rides almost everyday. He has a blog Moto Adventure. I'm sure he would like to here from you. He is always interested in riders like yourself who do not use four wheels. The blog web site. https://motoadventurer.com
Yes, ice is the key risk factor. I am about to break my streak, after 30 years without owning a car, because I'm spending this winter working in Minneapolis, MN. (Next week, I'm flying back to NH, and buying my ex-wife's 2002 Mini-Cooper S, as my winter/bad weather car.)

Most of that 30 years, I lived in San Diego, so winter was not an issue. But 7 years ago I moved to NH. I rode every day for 8-9 months a year in NH, and occasionally even in the real winter if the roads were dry, on my trusty 1993 M900. The first winter I was in NH, I rode right through the winter, since it only snowed twice that winter (2011/2012). (Other winters, I shared my [now ex-]wife's car when it was actually icy out.) I just got heated gloves, and rode on. Lots of riding at about 20F (-7C), which, with the heated gloves and decent layering otherwise, I could do for about an hour at a time without undue discomfort.

I'm now traveling for work, so I've ridden through the winter in a number of places. Mostly from St. Louis on down. I did spend the winter in Cleveland once, and I had to put the bike away for a couple of months and rent a car. The coldest I've ridden in was about 25 minutes at 5F (-15C), and that did indeed feel cold.

I know people who have ridden through the winter in NH multiple years. Usually, the drill for them is something like: Suzuki V-Strom, knobby dirt tire on the front, darkside car snow tire on the rear, and heated gear all over. It can be done, although that is just slightly outside my comfort zone.

PhilB
BudDaytonMon likes this.

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
Yes, ice is the key risk factor. I am about to break my streak, after 30 years without owning a car, because I'm spending this winter working in Minneapolis, MN. (Next week, I'm flying back to NH, and buying my ex-wife's 2002 Mini-Cooper S, as my winter/bad weather car.)

Most of that 30 years, I lived in San Diego, so winter was not an issue. But 7 years ago I moved to NH. I rode every day for 8-9 months a year in NH, and occasionally even in the real winter if the roads were dry, on my trusty 1993 M900. The first winter I was in NH, I rode right through the winter, since it only snowed twice that winter (2011/2012). (Other winters, I shared my [now ex-]wife's car when it was actually icy out.) I just got heated gloves, and rode on. Lots of riding at about 20F (-7C), which, with the heated gloves and decent layering otherwise, I could do for about an hour at a time without undue discomfort.

I'm now traveling for work, so I've ridden through the winter in a number of places. Mostly from St. Louis on down. I did spend the winter in Cleveland once, and I had to put the bike away for a couple of months and rent a car. The coldest I've ridden in was about 25 minutes at 5F (-15C), and that did indeed feel cold.

I know people who have ridden through the winter in NH multiple years. Usually, the drill for them is something like: Suzuki V-Strom, knobby dirt tire on the front, darkside car snow tire on the rear, and heated gear all over. It can be done, although that is just slightly outside my comfort zone.

PhilB
Youre a freaking trooper, Phil! I live in Southern Vermont, and as you know our New England winters are no joke. I bought my 06 S2R1000 new off the floor in Northampton, Ma. After convincing my wife not to divorce me, I persuaded her to give me a ride to the dealership so I could ride it home. It was March 2006, raining and 35 degrees. The maiden voyage was a long and uncomfortable ride back to Vermont, and the smile never left my face. Fast forward to 2018. Im now 54 years old, and say HELL, no! If the temp is below 50. At least on my Monster! But hey, listen...Im thinking of a Ural with studded knobbies for the winters. I could wear my ski gear. Just saying... Bikes are awesome. Never stop riding.

06 S2R1K
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:50 PM

Garage
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300

2017 Ducati Monster 797
2016 Yamaha FJR1300
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeosbor1 View Post
My other bike!
Haha! That made me giggle. One of my other bikes is a Felt road bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Felt.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	219204  
DarR, jeosbor1 and ebourqueIII like this.

Last edited by MotoGirl; 12-18-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Upload didn't upload
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:52 PM

Garage
Picked this up today!

2005 RC51 with 11k miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc51.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	219246  

2016 Monster 1200 R
2005 Honda RC51
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeosbor1 View Post
Picked this up today!

2005 RC51 with 11k miles.
Nice looking ride. Well done.
jeosbor1 likes this.

Ride as often as you can.
Bud
Main bike 2013 20th Anniversary EVO (192). Other bike 2001 Triumph Bonnie.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Current:
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

Past:
'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold
'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold
'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

-----------------------------------------
MotoGirl likes this.

'04 Monster 1000S - Sold
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track Bike
'14 MV Agusta Rivale 800 EAS ABS
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF
'19 SWM SM 500 R Supermoto
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@jeosbor1
@MotoGirl
An observation that stood-out among many Ducati forums is that many Ducati riders are also avid cyclists. We have a couple of reasonably priced recreational bicycles but I've seen some extremely high end all carbon fiber racing rigs that are worth more than some motorcycles.
MotoGirl likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode