CA Cycleworks S*R tank group buy!!! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CA Cycleworks old Monster tank group buy! $699!!!

I have spoken with the owner of CA Cycleworks about creating an OEM replacement fuel tank for us who suffer from ethanol swelling, and there's good news ahead. For those of you who dont know, we currently have four options:

ETI-FuelCel "Composite" unit at $1,500
Legendary Motorcycles Aluminum at $2,500
Beater Japan Aluminum at $2,800
these prices are all plus paint
then there is the OEM Ducati/Acerbis tank with the same problems for roughly $1,400, but at least thats painted

Now the obvious choice we would all like to make would be the Beater unit due to its solid reputation and no known QC/craftsmanship issues. That being said, i personally dont want to spend $3,000 on a tank for a $6,000 bike. While I have no intention of ever selling my S4RS, if i absolutely HAD to, my return on investment would be nearly zero. I knew CAC had successfully made rotary molded tanks for other models and has been a staple in the Ducati Community for many years, so last night under the influence of several Gin & Tonics, i reached out to Chris. To my surprise, I got a positive response.

So here's the meat & potatoes version:

NO MORE SWELLING/WARPING ISSUES
we need a minimum of 30, but preferably 50+ people
these tanks will have the OEM pre-2008 Monster shape, but with whatever bottom your application calls for(from Carb'd to S4RS, covering literally every first generation Monster application)
he is also considering an expanded bottom option for those without an airbox, effectively increasing volume and therefore range(im currently researching pod filters and will dyno the results, as i personally would LOVE more than 100mi on a tank)
initial pricing is at $699. if this works out, I can provide them pre-painted with OEM PPG paints for an additional $300-ish. note: this is for striped or solid colors. Tricolore need not apply unless someone is willing to send me a stock tank to use for reference

now, my involvement is simply that of approaching them about actually doing it, offering up some tanks(S2R and S4RS) for molding purposes, and being responsible for this group buy.

so there you have it. i dont really see any downsides. a used tank on ebay is $400-500, and unless you're pretty lucky, you still have to paint it. then, like me, you will be swapping it out every year and freaking out hoping you dont strip the oh-so-fragile fuel pump screws, and it will STILL swell. in this case you could buy an ethanol-safe plastic replacement for your bike and if you decide to sell, include the OEM which will probably be dried out by then.

there are literally thousands of people with these affected bikes, and they all suffer from the same stupid issue with fuel. if you're reading this, you probably either own one or know someone who does. lets spread the word and make it a reality...

[UPDATE 9-15]- i forgot to mention that the tanks that CAC currently produces are not paintable, but Chris is exploring options on coatings to allow them to be painted. this was a major oversight on my part, and for that i apologize. obviously these wouldn't be nearly as attractive if they weren't paint-matched, so this is a huge factor.

also, i have corrected my original post to be more specific on which "style" of tank would be produced, and thats the later 2000-2008 style that the plastic tanks were produced in.
gdembs likes this.

Last edited by cmross13; 09-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
reserved for participants...

1: cmross13
2: cmross13
3: gdembs
4: jamesmorgan
5: breaddrink
6: A John in NJ
chris, gdembs and Homer like this.

Last edited by cmross13; 09-20-2018 at 05:34 PM.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Im absolutely in!! I just put a nice new front end on my 07 S4RS and the tank won't even go back on with the ignition switch removed!
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 PM

Garage
Yeah I'm in, though it's dependent on when you need money.
Money is an interesting commodity in my life from time to time

Rob.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmross13 View Post
[UPDATE 9-15]- i forgot to mention that the tanks that CAC currently produces are not paintable, but Chris is exploring options on coatings to allow them to be painted. this was a major oversight on my part, and for that i apologize. obviously these wouldn't be nearly as attractive if they weren't paint-matched, so this is a huge factor.

also, i have corrected my original post to be more specific on which "style" of tank would be produced, and thats the later 2000-2008 style that the plastic tanks were produced in.
Our red is pretty amazing. Somehow, plastic makers' red reference often is dead on with Ducati red when held side by side in the sunlight. The tank in the pic below is our early MTT offering, which is the sportbike shape. I would say that I should have done that tank in the "Monster shape", however, that mold has so many issues and problems, I'm much happier to take my knowledge and start fresh on the tank which everyone will want more.

Huger wallpaper size version here: https://ca-cycleworks.com/c/pics/Fue..._wallpaper.jpg

As far as 2000+ tank shape, it's pretty much just the seat notch that differs, so owners of carbd models can change seats (and the seat latch).

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Our red is pretty amazing...
just to clarify, i wasn't knocking the finish, just simply stating that paint matching would be a MUCH more attractive option, especially for those of us that have a white, blue, tricolore, or custom colored bike. red, black, and dark owners would be the lucky ones to be able to get away with a vinyl stripe and some decals or just some light scuffing to basically match "good enough" until paint lol
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 PM

IM IN!!!!!!!

Seriously, Im in.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Have you spread the word out onto the Facebook groups? There are a lot of Monster owner groups.

-John
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thats 6 in the first week from here alone!
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM

The funny thing is I was about to pull the plug on a tank from italy. Stocker but brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode