CA Cycleworks S*R tank group buy!!! - Page 4 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 13Likes

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM

I am very interested in one of these tanks for an S$RS. Is there any recent news?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Iím going to withdraw from my original pledge of support. Iíve recently been able to get non-ethanol 91 locally, and after 2-3 months my tank has shrunk back to almost its original size. Not quite (itís still tight when latching closed) but a definite improvement. So far, no fuel pump o-ring leaks or other dire issues. If it goes south at a later date, I hope to buy a replica tank from you at full retail. Sorry for the dick move, but if my budget doesnít necessitate this Ducati expenditure, my family budget will definitely benefit.

Ď06 S2R1K
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
Is this group buy still going on? I'm interested in knowing. I need a tank.

Monster S4R owner. Long time Mostro.
M800, MS4, MS4R. Oh the growth!
2004 S4R
2012 Hypermotard Corse
1996 900 SS SP
2008 BMW R 1200GS
post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpavedmoto View Post
Is this group buy still going on? I'm interested in knowing. I need a tank.
Yeah, it's still waiting on getting enough names.

Once the names are down, we can put up the cash and they will begin making them. I think it might help the likelihood of this happening to make something a little more formal and less gentlemen's handshake like
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if the tank company would act as an escrow.. Just something to push it along..

I just can't shake how much I love my S2R, and feel a need to keep it alive. I keep watching all the new scramblers coming out, and understanding how the cross over between off road and commuter is popular, but still not wanting one..

I'm saddened that the street bike crossover with sports bike that is the monster has passed into a toy like era of styling and just isn't as drop dead gorgeous as the S2's and a little lesser the S4R's were/are.

I guess I wish there were a new bike I wanted as much as an old one where parts are going to start to become hard to find.

That's why I think this tank buy is important, and I hope there's a way to push it a little faster than it is. It seems likely it will not happen at this rate.
gdembs likes this.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 PM

How many people are we up to?

For what it's worth, my preliminary test of coating our existing tanks resulted in a 50% reduction of fuel loss by weight. What does that mean? Got me... I'll need to re-read the research I did 6 years ago... And I have a plan for the next test.
breaddrink and unpavedmoto like this.

Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 PM

Chris, just wondering if you have considered setting up a fundraising page like GoFundMe or some other one. This way people can actually put in orders or commit to putting in orders and you can track the money raised. If you raise enough than you proceed and make tanks, and if you don't raise enough than you just refund everyone's money.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 PM

We did that with the MTS tank and a kickstarter-like website. Only their system had horrible accounting and we ended up having to ASK people if/when they paid and how much. And then the MTS tank became the Mountain of Pain which tested the will to live for all involved from that point forward. We delivered the pre-order tanks once we got our own rotational molding machine and I started making tanks with my own hands. I also accepted loans from investors; something I'm not going to do again. I've kept my books and we are almost paid up on those. I've promised to pay back via the proceeds of MTS tanks sold but they're not selling enough to repay those investors. They've been getting paid back anyhow and all those will be completed in January. Before the new project, the old project shall be tied up and done. The move to Georgia from CA, folks stealing our belts, and two years without selling tanks had us in dire straits.

For this project, we will either do it like with the HM tank or a 3rd party will hold the $ in escrow. The "HM way" is we get folks' credit cards via orders on our site. They get authorized (but not charged) and then the sale gets captured when the order ships. Since money isn't as tight as before, we should be able to handle this next tank the HM way.

The point of group-buy / interest list is to validate the product is worth the effort. Right now, I'm having my doubts about a "classic shape" Monster tank. And it is because people are hung up on paintability. I ran unpainted tanks for years and people still respond positively. Even still, I'm performing tests with coatings to see the effect on permissivity.

Chris

Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:12 PM

Wow Chris! Well I'm happy to see you have come out the other side alive. Your explanation makes sense and is pretty business savvy, I completely understand this approach now.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Thanks Brian, much appreciated. I'm thankful for the credit cards being able to authorize and then capture later.

The full process is authorize, capture, then settle. The authorization is when the funds are checked against the credit card and promised as available to the business charging the cards (the merchant). Authorizations last 30 days. Our process automates the "capture" when we print the shipping label for an order. This is when we tell the credit card network ok, we're taking the money. Once a day, the network will "Settle our batch", where all captured charges are accounted for. This is when the funds transfer begins. Depending on the companies the "merchant" is paying to handle credit cards, the funds will be deposited into the merchant's checking account in one to three days.

For you, the customer, the above is consistent with "credit cards". For "debit cards", you'll need to interrogate your bank to find out what happens in the above process. From my experience, debit cards + banks = the least friendly process for the customer. They'll "take" the money from your checking account upon the authorization assuming the merchant is going to capture the funds relatively soon (like at a gas pump). In the case of my business, the capture is quick only on the simple transactions. Should a customer order the wrong part or it be a case like the group buy, that $ is gone from you the customer and can take a week to get back once I the merchant voids the authorization. That is all up to your bank and the steps they take to keep fraudsters from gaming the system.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Right now, I'm having my doubts about a "classic shape" Monster tank. And it is because people are hung up on paintability. I ran unpainted tanks for years and people still respond positively. Even still, I'm performing tests with coatings to see the effect on permissivity.

Chris
I appreciate the updates, Chris..

Keeping the look is kind of the point for me. I'm not opposed to other looks, but it's hard to imagine liking one more.
It is after all a big reason as to why I'm so stuck on the bike in the first place..

Would wrap-able tanks be more realistic than paint-able? I have absolutely nothing against wraps. I think they can look fabulous.
I never did quite understand why wraps wouldn't work on your track tanks. Like, specifically why. I only ever heard that it wouldn't, but no one knew why. Expansion?

Might be a good time to go over why they can't be painted, and what you have in mind to fix it.

For that matter, why are you not too hot on the idea of the classic shape tank? Just because of raising the costs?

Again, thanks for the update. It's a great notion, and it's nice to hear anyone is entertaining the idea at all.

Rob.
gdembs likes this.

Last edited by breaddrink; 01-02-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode