New to Ducati. S2R 800 vs 696/796 vs 1100 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DucOki

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

New to Ducati. S2R 800 vs 696/796 vs 1100

As the title says. Been riding for ~8years. First bike was an '83 Honda CB450, next two were early 80's Suzuki liter GSs. Most recent was an '83 Honda 600cc dual sport. Likes and dislikes for each. Mostly, I'm ready for fuel injection, maybe even ABS...

I'm about 5'6", 130lbs, ~29/30" inseam (kind of short legs...). Love torque, tended to gear my sprockets short on the liter bikes, don't care about top speed so much. Didn't love the weight of the old GS's, loved being able to throw around the 450 and 600. Comfortable with taller bikes (one toe, half saddle stops with the dual sport), but prefer both balls of my feet planted. Plan on commuting a little bit in town and joy riding on the weekend. Few to no track days.

Been eyeing the 696 a lot. Test rode one, seemed like plenty of bike, height was fine, loved the low end grunt, weight was fine, thinner rear tire made it feel lighter. Didn't get a chance to take it on the freeway. Sounds like the 796 is a nice compromise, allowing more comfortable freeway riding? There's a local, 3xxxmi 2009 1100 for cheaper than the used 696's... Worried it's more bike than I need and have heard a lot of complaints about in-city driving performance. Clutch is supposedly a bit stiffer too?

I love the aesthetics of the S2Rs... Way sexier than the modern bulky/Tonka-looking Monsters, imo. Though, no ABS.... there's a local 2007 S2R 800, 14xxxmi, for about the same as the 2009 1100. If it were purely looks, I'm sold on the S2R, hands-down...

But it's not just looks... Having trouble narrowing it down. Any advice, things to look out for?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by _Phaedrus_; 07-23-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 PM

Don't know how helpful this will be.

I have owned a 996, an S2R800, an S2R1000, a 696, an S4RS plus a Caviga Gran Canyon (M900 engine).

If the 696 in question has ABS, might be worth the premium due to the safety factor.

Otherwise (IMHO) the S2R800 is a better bike in many ways.

Not familiar with the 1100 Monster, so I cannot comment on it. Perhaps others will.
Good luck with your purchase, I think that no matter what you buy, you will enjoy it, and it won't be your last Ducati.

Feel free to PM me, if I can help.
Best regards, Rich

Last edited by orionengnr; 07-23-2018 at 08:39 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 PM

Garage
My two cents although its not much for experience.

I rode an 09 Triumph Daytona 675 for the past 2 years and loved it. Recently sold it to a friend to get a standard/upright bike for a more comfy and slower pace of riding. I was also looking at the S2R 800 or 1000 but unfortunately there were none in my area (Okinawa, Japan, a small but promising island). So I asked my dealer if he could watch the auctions in mainland Japan for one and they usually go for 3-5k with under 20km on the dash. I wanted an air cooled bike for what others stated was less maintenance. My dealer called me back saying he found a 2010 Monster 1100 S for $4900/530,000 yen including auction fees, his fees, and the boat ride from island to island.

So happy I went with the 1100 S. I love the extra cc especially in the twisties although I'm no hooligan on it either. For once I'm able to at least tiptoe on both sides of the bike (I'm 5' 3"). And the riding position is super comfortable. I'm able to ride our 300km ish loop in 4-5 hours and not feel so fatigued like I did on my 675. I'd say if you can find a great deal go with either the S2R or 1100! I do like how the older S2R looks and would love to own one someday.

Joe
Okinawa, Japan (currently)
Sacramento, CA (hometown)

2010 Monster 1100 S
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your input. Very helpful. Turns out insurance is cheaper for the S2R (though not so much that it's the deciding factor). I think the plan is to check out the S2R tomorrow. If I like it and we can agree on a price, cool. If not, I'll check out the 1100.

Rich, I'll likely reach out with many S2R questions if I acquire one. Thank you very much for the offer.

Joe, my girlfriend lived on Okinawa for many years. Very fond of it/nostalgic for it. She was stoked to hear that someone from the island had responded! What a beautiful place to be able to ride... Great price on the 1100 S too! The one I'm eyeing is around the same price, but standard. I suppose at our stature though the suspension isn't really a worry? Is there anything you dont like about the bike? Are the complaints I've read about around town throttle response warranted?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Phaedrus_ View Post
Thank you both for your input. Very helpful. Turns out insurance is cheaper for the S2R (though not so much that it's the deciding factor). I think the plan is to check out the S2R tomorrow. If I like it and we can agree on a price, cool. If not, I'll check out the 1100.

Rich, I'll likely reach out with many S2R questions if I acquire one. Thank you very much for the offer.

Joe, my girlfriend lived on Okinawa for many years. Very fond of it/nostalgic for it. She was stoked to hear that someone from the island had responded! What a beautiful place to be able to ride... Great price on the 1100 S too! The one I'm eyeing is around the same price, but standard. I suppose at our stature though the suspension isn't really a worry? Is there anything you dont like about the bike? Are the complaints I've read about around town throttle response warranted?

Aw nice!! Was she stationed out here?

Hereís a short video of a ride a few weeks ago..managed to finally get some good weather between back to back typhoons.

As far as dislikes go, the throttle is definitely touchy in 1st and 2nd at very low speeds like navigating through a parking lot. Folks say the dry clutch is a downer but yeah itís a tiny amount stronger than the usual wet clutch but not enough to warrant any discussion in my opinion. The pipe definitely gets hot though in traffic or at lights. Other than those small things I have no gripes if complaints. Solid bike!
MiamiJAG likes this.

Joe
Okinawa, Japan (currently)
Sacramento, CA (hometown)

2010 Monster 1100 S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Gorgeous ride! Looks like a blast. My lady was actually living out there post-college with an ex of hers. He's a local Okinawan.

I ended up with the S2R!

Not perfect, a few scuffs and scratches here and there, but pretty gorgeous from 5 feet away. Wicked fun to ride. Great, linear power, plenty of it. Better balanced, more stable, less bulky feeling than the 696, imo. Got a really good deal. Can't wait to take her out this weekend for a proper test...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode