TERRIBLE Day!!! AHHHH! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crabpainter

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy TERRIBLE Day!!! AHHHH!

Greetings fellow Desmo enthusiasts,

My day yesterday started off like so many other perfect riding days. wake up, roll out of bed, step outside to a 72 30% humidity day, here in New England, the perfect riding day.
After taking a cruise about an hour away I am cruising through a small town when my 09 Monster 696 with 30K miles make a single mild pop and shuts off. After finding a safe quite place pull over I hit the starter once to hear the lack of normal thump thump as the pistons build compression. My first thought was oh god please tell me I didn't snap a rod, but given the smooth rotation of the starter and a lack of any crazy noises and holes in the jugs or block I ruled this out.

My next thought was what we are all most likely thinking at this point, timing belts. I pull out my toolkit and pull off the horizontal cylinder belt cover to find a shredded mess of what used to be my timing belt.

After getting the bike back home to my shop I pulled the vertical cover off (I had to break this one as the threaded insert got destroyed when the belt let go). what I found surprised me, the belts not due to age or miles (I am very religious about the maintenance of my duke), but the fixed idler pulley on the vertical cylinder came apart. I found the pully pushed up against the block with its ball bearings scattered inside the belt cover.

Where I am now, well we all know where I am now, up s*!t creek without a paddle and no bike! My question to the group and what I hope will spark some conversation is this. What are the logical next steps given that I'm not going to get rid of the bike? Parts I can order, labor I can do, time while always at a premium I can find, but what are the things I should be thinking about at this point?

I imagine that I should be taking the heads off and sending them out to be inspected and more than likely rebuilt. I will be replacing all of the timing belt components minus the pulleys, I don't need another idler failing on me. From what I can tell with a flashlight and my eyes, the pistons do not appear to have any damage from the valves but this will be investigated further when the heads are removed.

Any thoughts, comments, stories anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

About the victim:
09 Monster 696
29,966 Miles
Termi slip-on with dyno'd ECU remap
Oil changes every 5k
currently on the 3rd (now destroyed) set of belts
valve adjustment done with belt changes
Prior to the incident, bike ran perfectly, no issues whatsoever.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:44 PM

That sucks, I hope the damage is not too bad.
At least you did not get hurt.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd think the next step is to pull the head and order a new head gasket. Take a look inside and check for whether the valves did hang open and which ones got bent. Check the piston to see if it needs to be replaced. You might find a full head in good nick that you could pick up on the cheaper side and just do a swap, it might even come with another pulley.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 PM

If only one belt let go, then only the head on that cylinder should have a problem. Pull that head, see which valve is bent (and don't be surprised if both are) and go from there. Seriously doubt that any damage to the piston occurred. Maybe knocked a little carbon off. On the plus side, the horizontal head is easier to remove.

As Mike said, maybe find a complete head from a wrecked bike.
Check this forum and other Ducati-related forums for people parting out 696s (or maybe evilBay.) I think Ducati sold a fair number of 696s.

At one point I bought an S2R 1000 that the guy said "just stopped". The crank would turn but the cams wouldn't. I thought maybe the timing gear or the layshaft, bought it and took a chance. Ended up being that someone had removed the flywheel and either didn't replace the nut (it's like a $30, single-use nut), or didn't properly torque/loctite it, so it backed off, the gear moved outward a bit, and the crank-bone was no longer connected to the cam-bones.
Three out of four valves were bent. Other than that, I put it back together (new valves, seals, gaskets, belts, and flywheel nut) and it was fine.

Last edited by orionengnr; 07-10-2018 at 06:01 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update to the current predicament.

Both belts were completely shredded, both intake valves made contact with the pistons although no damage to the pistons. Both intake valves are bent as the cam is very difficult to move and when the intake valve is slightly opened the valve is not parallel with the seat.

I chatted with AMS earlier this week and their recommendation was to get a used engine from a reputable source and swap the whole engine. After looking at the cost of the parts I would need to purchase and the purchase cost of the new engine it is a toss-up.

After 30K on the engine, I can see almost no excessively worn parts inside the combustion chamber or the intake. The crosshatching is still extremely visible, the piston has very minor carbon build-up, the intake ports are spotless and the back side of both valves have no build-up (aside from the currently bent valves).

My new questions are as such:
- Do I rebuild what I currently have, as stated I can see a good looking engine with a lot of life left in it or do I source another engine and someday rebuild the old one and turn it into a Ducati powered bar stool!
- If I am to rebuild, has anyone seen damage to the valve guides in a case like this? I haven't looked to see how difficult it would be to change them other than the parts explosion. Either way, if I did this I would be replacing the valve seals for good measure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 PM

eBay has good used heads for your bike at about $130.00
Personally I’d gamble with eBay used parts, new OEM gaskets & belts.
caferacermike likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Don't know what sort of bill you're looking at for a donor engine, but it's worth noting, 2009 696's with low miles can be had for about $3500-5000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode