Neglected and Squided 99 M900S Budget Build - Page 7 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 28Likes

post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:47 AM

My Red/Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostro di Calamari View Post
THANKS!

Haha. No. Guy I got it from had it since 2002. All the squid stuff happened between 99-02. Someone was busy! Has a few good mods tho like the bars/controls, tach, and Staintunes. The Staintunes are about $1400 new!

Sounds like you got a deal! Even with the work!

Should post a pic!
Here's some pics:
..Post-squidding.
..My high-tech metal forming factory .. aka 2 heavy duty moto straps between my gazebo posts and tank is now pulled back in shape.
..Right clip-on with everything thrashed
..Friggin EXPENSIVE german glass. Never ever never chance that lens cause it's $100 and near impossible to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-22 19.19.38.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	214601   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-23 11.50.50.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	214609   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 15.28.02.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	214617   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-24 18.42.06.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	214625   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-01 20.15.37.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	214633  

Mostro di Calamari likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:08 AM

My Red/Gold one more

Here's after:
new bars
mirrors
throttle assy/tube
brake reservoir
ebay front fender
right-rear-set

Tomorrow in the light I'll snap some new pics. I've got:
Rear fender
1098 exhaust cans & a shitty weldup from the local muffler shop
clutch cover
tail light & front/rear turn indicators (amazon specials pics provided)
headlight glass
pulled the tank dents and bondo'd. now sanding for painting.

Upcoming
new barnett clutch plates in the mail.
Painting the tank & putting on my logo (attached) And COPYRIGHT :-).. if you use it, gotta post a pic and give props to Big B (me).

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-10-14 12.14.36.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	214641   Click image for larger version

Name:	41j6vbjJW0L.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	214649   Click image for larger version

Name:	51IuIARDE7L.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	214657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DaffyScowlSmoke.png
Views:	34
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	214673  
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 AM

Garage
Groovy thread boys.

Picked up a low mileage 620 myself last month. Must post some snaps up.

When the snow buggers off.

BMA, Ireland.
post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Neglected and Squided 99 M900S Budget Build

Crankcase breather came in.

Went with the K&N 62-1560 filter. Much smaller than the other one I've seen recommended at only 1.375" wide and 1.9" tall overall. Very snug fit. Didn't need hose clamp.

Another reason I went with this one is it doesn't have the unnecessary bling of a chrome top. It's much more subtle with out it and almost looks factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-02-15 13_1518719811002.25.24.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	214729   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-15 13_1518719915419.24.28.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	214737  

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Last edited by Mostro di Calamari; 02-15-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 PM

Garage
did you head to the beach? hows the build coming?
Cant wait to see
post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! Ditto!

Never thought mirrors would be the last critical part I'd be waiting for but build went quicker than I thought it would. Couldn't find any decent used ones for a decent price. You'd think how everyone goes to bar end mirrors there would be a glut of used ones for cheap. Nope.

Ended up working out tho since it turns out this bike has right hand threads for both rather than left and right that Monsters usually have. Also worked out because the only mirrors I could find new, stockish and decent price that I liked were right hand only. They are Bikemaster mirrors, part #600040, and I got em for $8 each local. Like em because they look like the stock mirrors but the stems are almost half the length. Much more low key.

In the other pics I have trailer side markers on for inspection later today. Hopefully the sun comes out. Supposed to be 64 degrees and sunny but not looking that way right now. Got the trailer side markers from Wally World (Walmart) for $1.82 a pair.

Finally got around to cleaning and adjusting chain. OOF! That thing was nasty and had about 5" of slack. Thought I'd have to cancel the inspection and order a new chain but only took 1/8" of adjustment both sides to get it to spec. Was surprised. The grease and oil must have preserved the chain since there was no rust and it cleaned up nice. Yay chain gunk? Haha.

Oh also the master link clip was on backwards because of course it was. Likely held in place by the chain gunk so yay chain gunk. Lol

Master link clip should be like a bullet travelling with the direction of the chain in gear. Obviously do not try to pin the tail on the donkey and put the clip on while the bike is actually in gear. Haha. Centrifugal force keeps it in place. If put on backwards centrifugal force will remove it eventually.

I've never had a problem with clips and it makes maintenance much easier. I honestly have never trusted rivet style because there is a small window for it to be right. Too little pressure and it comes off eventually. Too much pressure and the rivet(s) stress crack and it comes off eventually. Did you do it right? Did the person you paid do it right? Not as easy to discern the state of the rivets. Takes a couple seconds to check a clip. Never seen one move when on the right way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-02-21 08.40.59.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	215017   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-21 08.38.56.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	215025   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-21 08.37.51.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	215033  
dudelater likes this.

Last edited by Mostro di Calamari; 02-21-2018 at 10:28 AM.
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked up this mag since it had a cover feature on the first gen M900.

Like Practical Sportbikes since it covers 70's thru 90's sportbikes. Two stroke, four stroke, whatever really. It's a British mag and it surprises me how it seems the UK is so much more nutty about bikes, with all their spotty weather, than the US is. One thing I do appreciate is their fondness of older bikes. Not just classics and collector bikes but just regular and odd ball bikes that are older. Seems over here it's all latest and greatest or 80 years old and not much in between.

ANYWAY, when flipping thru the mag I saw the bike I traded for the Monster in the "In Your Shed" feature. Not just the same model bike but the ACTUAL bike I traded. MY BIKE.

I had submitted the bike a few years ago and it made it in to the magazine. So the mag I got because it had a Monster on the cover also had MY BIKE that I traded for it inside! MIND BLOWN!

What are the odds of that?

haha

The issue was published in September 2015.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-02-21 08.42.15.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	215041  
dudelater likes this.

Last edited by Mostro di Calamari; 02-21-2018 at 10:29 AM.
post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Took it for inspection and other than a minor issue it went right thru. Needed to borrow a 10mm wrench and switch the brake light wires. The brake light and the riding light were reversed. I was so wrapped up in the build just seeing a light back there was good enough and I never even checked for operation. lol

Afterwards I had to adjust the bump stops. I had pushed the tank as far forward as it would go to fit the wonky seat. Triple was now touching the tank barely on one side and very close on the other. Would've been easy if not for one lock nut having the shit torque'd out of it. There was actually a small pile of lock nut shit nearby. A six sided 13mm socket saved the day. The lock nut was rounding like brass with everything else.

On the post "it's legal now" joy ride I was made aware that the tag light was hanging off! Nuts had rattled off. Found some more and used last dribble of loctite I had on four nuts instead of two. HOPEFULLY that will hold it in place. lol

On another positive note, the weep from the fork seals seems to be from sitting only. Haven't done anything yet and there was as near to no weep as possible without being zero. There are a couple specs of rust I need to knock out tho. A VERY FINE sharpening stone with some oil works great smoothing out burrs and pitting.

Below is first pic of the bike in sunlight!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_15911.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	215065  

post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The $25 plus shipping CF front fender came in! That was the one S part that was missing so I'm very happy about the find!

Used Krud Kutter to clean it. Used brake cleaner to remove paint smudges. Didn't have any wax laying around so used some all purpose grease made from recycled oil (it's black) to renew the finish for now.

The black recycled grease also works great on dried out and dull cast plastic parts and rubber. Renews and reconditions the plastic and rubber FINISH and it lasts for a while. Typically use on blinkers, housings, grommets, carb boots, etc. This is for appearance and possibly preservation of the plastic ONLY. It won't have any effect on the pliability of rubber parts.

Fixed defect on the fender, which was non structural, by adding small amounts of pro grade super glue until it was filled in adequately. Didn't feel like bothering with the 5 minute clear epoxy I was going to use.

Bar end weights should be getting here tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180221_193133.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	215073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180221_193142.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	215081  

post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Almost forgot! The bike rides GREAT! No issues what so ever with the Dynojet kit that was in it. I got the install instructions from their site and followed it exactly. No flat spots or surging at all. Surprised and delighted and fine with me. lol

The suspension is great. It is the fully adjustable S suspension so that has SOMETHING to do with it. Dunno if it was set for someone my weight or upgraded or what but I'm not fooling with it any time soon.

Brakes are great.

Gearbox is great.

Clutch works great. Was dreading a bad clutch. Those clutch kits are EXPENSIVE! Sheesh! Usually get lucky and find some new old stock friction kits for other bikes I've had but have seen nothing like that for the Monster.

Performance is great. Goes RIGHT to red line at 9 thou.

SOUNDS ARE GREAT! Haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode