M821 best year? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDThaddeus

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
M821 best year?

Looking at getting a M821. Looking at 2015/2016/2018 models. Which year and why. I love the way the 2016 white and dusty grey bikes look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Garage
foot pegs were addressed in the 2018...instead of bumping into the passenger foot rest you cook your foot on the exhaust shield...I wouldn't worry about the 2018 being down on power either...its not a drag bike...there are faster options...but none that look as nice! they're all good choices...haven't heard the 2018 exhaust but the previous years sound amazing!!! a newer model is nice for warranty work but its over rated...dropping your bike off for a month is hardly a convenience...a bike a year or two old will have already been sorted out and probably less of a headache...but to each his/her own...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 AM

I rode a 2016 821 at Ducati Indianapolis when they had the Ducati Demo truck in 2016. Loved the bike. I thought it handled better than the 1200. I vote for a 2016.

Ride as often as you can.
Bud
Main bike 2013 20th Anniversary EVO (192). Other bike 2001 Triumph Bonnie.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:12 PM

Garage
This is a slight tangent to the question but following-up on what @BudDaytonMon wrote:
I rode the 2016 821 and a 1200S back to back at high speed on the same road where the 1200S was much more reassuring.
Around town, the 821 was great. It's a fun bike.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:48 PM
JTP

I'd go with the 2018 model, slight improvements over previous years make it the better choice: passenger pegs location, color display and viewing angle, better looking stock exhaust. Just wish they did the SSSA, that shouldn't be an exclusive 1200 feature

uhoh.

Last edited by JTP; 10-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Interesting question, I assume money is of no issue.
I have a 821/2015, very happy with it. Have it since new and did not regret the choice.

I did ride the 2017 for a day (for 80 miles) and had the impression that the first gear was smoother didnt really feel any other difference - so urban riding was a bit more comfortable while the sound of the stock pipes was still great.

I personally would take any of the 821's but maybe would opt for the 2015-2016 instead of the 2017-2018 because i would not care much for the color display and the quickshifter on the 2018 is extra (so more $). I would use the $ i saved for a nice termi or another slip on + rexxer ecu flash (did not try it, but I hear they are good at what they do), maybe a nice air filter too. Another idea is to find a 2015 striped version they come (if not mistaken, someone pls correct me if wrong) with adjustable front forks, small front wind screen and rear seat cover (looks good)

Having said that, if I had the chance now would prefer the 1200s (2017+) cause of the extra power and the that single sided swing arm :P
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 AM

Garage
I recently bought a 2016 821 in mint condition, mechanically sorted with 6k miles and tasteful mods I would want anyways for one reason...it was literally half the price of the new 2018.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:00 PM

I've been tossing around the exact same question over the winter and have decided to go with a new 2018. I love, love, love the 2015 white with red rims colour scheme that is no longer available and will be going with the red. I agree that a lightly used bike is usually the most cost effective way to go but I'm fairly far north in Canada so there are not that many used to choose from. Sitting on them, the 2017 and 2018 have a thinner profile so while it's not a deal breaker they just felt like they were more comfortable and fit better. I did find a couple that had tasteful mods that would have saved me several thousand dollars but I wasn't quick enough to react and they got away. The used prices are fairly close to a new bike so 2018 it is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:37 PM

I test rode a lot of bikes before I got my 2015 821. My dealer was cool enough to line up a whole bunch of bikes including a new Diavel Carbon, a couple Triumph Triples, Yamaha FZ-09. When I showed up, the Ducati was last on my list, I wanted to like the Triumph or the Yamaha. But once I got on the Monster, I was sold. It felt like a part of me when I rode it, so agile.

And, it sounded like God when I revved the engine the first time and everyone at the stoplight stopped and turned.

It came with a Gianelli carbon fiber exhaust, fender eliminator, adjustable levers and a couple little things which told me the previous owner did exactly what I would have done and probably knew what he was doing. The salesman said that the previous owner is part of the local Ducati club but I always take what salesmen say with a grain of salt.

I took a hard look at a new 821, and the dealer said I would get $600 cash back so he would install an exhaust with that money.

I just loved the 2015. I hummed and hawed a while, and the dealer didn't pressure me, just asked what I was taking into consideration. I said that the new bike has a warranty and I don't know the exact history of the used bike. He gave me a full warranty for $20 a month. Problem solved! I bought the 2015 with 7k miles for $7399 which is quite a reduction from the price of the new one. I am very very happy! Love love love this bike!

PS- I could not see anything but my arms in the stock mirrors and wanted to try some bar-end mirrors, so I bought Arrow bar-end mirrors for $30 for the PAIR off of Amazon. I thought they would be junk just to try out before I invest $240 in a pair of CRGs but I am surprisingly happy with them!
BudDaytonMon likes this.

Last edited by JDThaddeus; 05-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.
post #10 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM

I should give credit to the dealer because they let me test ride so many bikes and treated me well: John at GoAZ in Peoria Arizona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode