Do Monsters just get more 'ugly' with each new model? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 19Likes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Do Monsters just get more 'ugly' with each new model?

Maybe it's just me but Ducati seems to really screw up the lean and cleanliness of the Monsters with their 821 and above.
The 1100 EVO, 796 are the last Monster's that really look like they are supposed to be. Naked, aggressive and sporty.
Now we get all these extras in the head unit like the on the Panigale - which is nice - but all the design changes make it more cheap looking than ever.
The M1200 , M821 and so on..even the Panigale 959 is a bit of an eyesore at first sight.

Again, maybe it's just me but I can't see myself buying any of the newer bikes. They sort of miss the real clean and sleak Ducati Monster feeling.
Anyone feeling the same?

Follow my build thread: Custom Ducati DraXter 90th Anniversary Build

2013 795 ABS - DraXter
2016 Panigale 899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes I agree. While I still love Ducati superbikes, in all reality there hasn't been anything after 2009 that I felt I just had to have. Gone are normal headlights, trellis frames and dry clutches. All the things that made me want Ducati bikes to begin with.

While I don't mind the new Monsters, they just don't appeal to me. I think it might be a bit short sighted to bash the 821 and 1200, I kind of feel you are just banging around at the fact that they are liquid cooled. There have been liquid cooled M's for a very long time and I think it is actually very cool of Ducati to offer air cooled and water cooled versions of the same bike. Show me another manufacturer that ever did this.

I just don't feel any heritage, or lineage, when I look at the new bikes.
RBX likes this.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 PM

I do like how they look although they are getting a bit more bulky.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:27 PM

I think the 2nd and 3rd gen Monsters are certainly nice bikes and see why people like them, they still do have Italian style in spades. But I gotta say I prefer the first generation Monsters with the full steel trellis frame, air cooled motor and simple round headlight. As simple as a sporting moto can get, with lots of Italian style. Sounds strange but one of the things I'm not a big fan of is the 2/3 gen twisty horizontal cylinder header routing, I love the way the old ones went down under the motor, just such a beautiful and quintessentially Ducati looking layout. Just personal preference, i'm sure if rode one of the new ones I wouldn't be so nostalgic, ha!

On the superbikes, I agree with the above, the 1098 was such a smooth looking bike. Panigale, so so for me. I'd much rather have a red Sport Classic 1000 or Paul Smart replica. Then again I'm in my mid 40s and I'm glad Ducati is appealing to younger riders with the Panigale, Scrambler etc. Good for the health of the company.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_mostro View Post
I'd much rather have a red Sport Classic 1000 or Paul Smart replica.

YOU SHOULD GET ONE!! Do it. From someone that has one.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:58 PM

I'm sure I will eventually! Just can't resist that bike; one of the all time classics for sure.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster795 View Post
Maybe it's just me but Ducati seems to really screw up the lean and cleanliness of the Monsters with their 821 and above.
The 1100 EVO, 796 are the last Monster's that really look like they are supposed to be. Naked, aggressive and sporty.
Now we get all these extras in the head unit like the on the Panigale - which is nice - but all the design changes make it more cheap looking than ever.
The M1200 , M821 and so on..even the Panigale 959 is a bit of an eyesore at first sight.

Again, maybe it's just me but I can't see myself buying any of the newer bikes. They sort of miss the real clean and sleak Ducati Monster feeling.
Anyone feeling the same?

You have a 795, of course you think that it looks better than the new ones ...Pretty funny, as many "pure Ducatistas" (whatever the f**k that means) would refer to the 696/796/1100 gen. as "plastic monsters"...and oh, i used to have one of the "plastic" monsters myself (796).
Personally, i find the new gen (821/1200) better looking than the previous one - better looking headlight, mini-trellis works for me and the sub-frame is also better-looking compared to the previous gen's.

Now, i'm in the camp that thinks that Ducati does screw-up each new M.Y redesign - the old Diavel (gen.1) with that round headlight looked much better compared to the gen.2 with that ugly-looking headlight which resembled the head of the Alien queen from Aliens®...or thew MTS1200 DVT...or the monster 1200 2017 M.Y with its smaller and different headlight (which somehow reminds me of the shitty one of the 696/796/1200)...and its instrument cover (black plastic thingie) which looks uglier (and again reminds me of the previous gen's one)and less agressive, or, the whole redesign where some curves got lost and got replaced by angles (i.e : undertail, details on the header heat cover etc).And yeah, the side exhausts on the 959 are a joke - Ducati must also be thinking that since...there's no picture to be found from the bike's right side on the official site (gee, i wonder why).
in fact, i'd go as far as to say that i prefer the 1199 SL to the 1299 SL solely for the fact that the exhausts were still a part of the bike's whole design compared to the 1299 SL's, and yeah, i know that the 1299 SBK has its exhausts mounted there, still...

The thing that gets me though, is that nowadays Ducati wants to make you feel "poor®", i mean, what, you want a SSSA on your monster/pani? Well, you're a filthy paesant , if you don't have the money for the 1200 version you should go for the povo edition® M821/Pani 959 - something which didn't happen on the previous gen of their bikes, i'm talking about the 848/1098 (both SFs and SBKs), Hypermotards and monsters (the 696 didn't but the 796 did), and while it's normal for the less expensive option to feature less goodies, taking off/stripping down some existing features that were present in previous models but not in the new ones just reeks of milking and corporate greed.
I mean, shit, you can spend 24+ thousand euros for the "normal" 1299 but...no LED headlight - you have to go for the S version for that...yeahhhh.

There's a difference between presenting and offering various models and trying to do everything in your power to make the most affordable version look like the least desirable one.

For the complete opposite of this, take a look at MV's line-up.

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 01-02-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 AM

I beg to differ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028_1483371999019.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	201194  
Tigerdragon2020 likes this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
You have a 795, of course you think that it looks better than the new ones ...Pretty funny, as many "pure Ducatistas" (whatever the f**k that means) would refer to the 696/796/1100 gen. as "plastic monsters"...and oh, i used to have one of the "plastic" monsters myself (796).
Personally, i find the new gen (821/1200) better looking than the previous one - better looking headlight, mini-trellis works for me and the sub-frame is also better-looking compared to the previous gen's.

Now, i'm in the camp that thinks that Ducati does screw-up each new M.Y redesign - the old Diavel (gen.1) with that round headlight looked much better compared to the gen.2 with that ugly-looking headlight which resembled the head of the Alien queen from Aliens®...or thew MTS1200 DVT...or the monster 1200 2017 M.Y with its smaller and different headlight (which somehow reminds me of the shitty one of the 696/796/1200)...and its instrument cover (black plastic thingie) which looks uglier (and again reminds me of the previous gen's one)and less agressive, or, the whole redesign where some curves got lost and got replaced by angles (i.e : undertail, details on the header heat cover etc).And yeah, the side exhausts on the 959 are a joke - Ducati must also be thinking that since...there's no picture to be found from the bike's right side on the official site (gee, i wonder why).
in fact, i'd go as far as to say that i prefer the 1199 SL to the 1299 SL solely for the fact that the exhausts were still a part of the bike's whole design compared to the 1299 SL's, and yeah, i know that the 1299 SBK has its exhausts mounted there, still...

The thing that gets me though, is that nowadays Ducati wants to make you feel "poor®", i mean, what, you want a SSSA on your monster/pani? Well, you're a filthy paesant , if you don't have the money for the 1200 version you should go for the povo edition® M821/Pani 959 - something which didn't happen on the previous gen of their bikes, i'm talking about the 848/1098 (both SFs and SBKs), Hypermotards and monsters (the 696 didn't but the 796 did), and while it's normal for the less expensive option to feature less goodies, taking off/stripping down some existing features that were present in previous models but not in the new ones just reeks of milking and corporate greed.
I mean, shit, you can spend 24+ thousand euros for the "normal" 1299 but...no LED headlight - you have to go for the S version for that...yeahhhh.

There's a difference between presenting and offering various models and trying to do everything in your power to make the most affordable version look like the least desirable one.

For the complete opposite of this, take a look at MV's line-up.
I'm sorry, Rosso, but what you call Ducati's problem is how the vehicle world separates models in their lineups. Look at any car/truck from any maker - the base model doesn't have the goodies or the look of the top-of-the-line model. The reason? All those goodies cost more money to spec on the vehicles and the manufacturers are in a for-profit business. Four-color TFT instruments cost more than LCD units, SSSAs cost more than double-sided, LED headlights cost more than halogen, etc.

I love MVs (I own an F3), but maybe part of the reason for their current financial problems is that they don't charge enough for their bikes.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Garage
@Monster795
I believe I can comment objectively owning two of the models you mentioned.
While I was lukewarm when Ducati went to water cooled, the newer 1200's do have more of a bad-ass look to them but the air cooled were more esthetically balanced from left to right.
As for the 959 Panigale, it's drop-dead gorgeous Period...and that's from any direction you happen to be looking at it. P.S. I have the stunning North-American version.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak (All-Purpose Fun)
2016 Monster 1200 R (Rambunctious Fun)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode