Do Monsters just get more 'ugly' with each new model? - Page 5 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 19Likes

post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucOki View Post
I agree ^ and if I could change one thing that I wish Ducati did it would be the factory headlights. Give us a more retro/oldschool single headlight again for my M 1100 S
I actually like our generation of Monster headlight. I just installed an LED light assembly into the stock metal frame/housing rather than buy the more expensive Motodemic light because I actually like the look of this one. I like the retro look of the Motodemic as well, but not as much as the current one.

2011 M796abs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
RBX

I own an 06 S2R, the last of the original design evolution. When I was younger, I loved the look of the monster, no other bike captured the simplicity of a naked bike. I look at the newer monsters and see the similarities to the original icon, but it is being plasticized and molded in what appears to be cheapening the design and manufacturing. To me, this is inline with all the jap bikes that produce a naked bike, they have many cheap looking parts molded to them. The original monster design stood strong from 93-08(or maybe 09), the engine choices changed and swing arm types were altered, but the overall design and execution were the same for 15 years. These older bikes (now) had way less molded parts then, as the bike truly looked like the parts bin creation it was, all surrounded by a complete trellis frame Ducati was so famous for producing.

IMO the newer generation monsters still look better than the competition, and they clearly look like they have descended from the original, but a full trellis frame without a bolt on sub frame and lots of plastic molded bits hiding areas is a huge part of the aesthetics. But, monsters are meant to be customized as the owner wishes. Again, this is all my opinion and if you are reading this and own a newer (less attractive..haha) monster, i am jealous of the new performance you have at your fingertips, but i didn't by an Italian bike for the tech.

While others claim that it is technology driven as to why the monster has changed its shape over the years, i disagree, it is more to do with the Ducati bean counters trying to extract every last penny from the most successful bike the company has ever produced. So if you tell me that i can't fit ABS, or larger catalytic, or newer tech(TFT, better headlight, adjustable suspension) like the new bikes on my 06 S2R without a full redesign of the bike, I'll call BS on you. Ducati didn't need to change the original iconic design, they wanted to make more money, so they added cheaper manufacturing methods. BTW, this all helped spawn the cheaper 1098, and help Ducati get their super-bike to more customers that wouldn't spend the money on a finicky Italian bike, so there is some good as to they cheaper manufacturing methods clearly.

in the end, Monster owners bought this bike because it is still an elegant design where less is more, even though there is more to the monster than there used to be.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM

I have an S2R. That one and the S4R are my favorites design-wise. I'm not the biggest fan of the newer models though some I like more than others. I don't care for how they tend to have only a partial trellis frame in front and I think they look a bit hunch backed with the flatter headlight. I think the little hat fairing looks a little out of place too. Even then, I like them better than most of the naked Japanese bikes. The FZ models look awful to me with their odd lines and unfinished gap between the top of the headlight and bottom of the gauges. I think the XSR looks fantastic though short of the butt plug taillight.

I do, however, really like the newer Monster models where they extended the trellis frame further back like the older first gen models:

I'd still put a round headlight on it, personally.
MiamiJAG likes this.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:23 PM

I'm OK with the minimal frame on my 1200, it's almost to the point of, we don't need no stinking frame.

Changing your manufacturing processes and designs and getting better reliability and longer service intervals is great, imo. You can't see much of the bike when riding, and riding is why I bought it. It rocks.

I think there are elements where they went cheaper, thinking the owner would change that part anyway. I am thinking of the plain boring black levers, I an not even sure they are metal, but they work. But the Aluminum CNC levers from China were non expensive at $37 to my door, are more adjustable, they fold in case of tipover, and much cooler looking in "Italy color". Knock carbon fiber on the fitment, they are in the box waiting on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode