Do Monsters just get more 'ugly' with each new model? - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 19Likes

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:14 PM

I looooove this thing!
My last Ducati was my 1980 900SS, bought new and sold, too cheaply, in 1986.

CW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Bub

I have flesh in the game so take my comments with a grain of salt (I love salt)!
Wanted to stick with an air cooled Monster 796 for simplicity and tradition while they are still in production (Scramblers, 797).
I enjoy industrial design as it marches forward and really like the efforts of 77RRad on the "some upgrades to my 1200R" thread.
I dig the red coolant hoses, that turns the corner for me as far as if it's ugly or not.
breaddrink and 77RRad like this.

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.f.rider View Post
I looooove this thing!
My last Ducati was my 1980 900SS, bought new and sold, too cheaply, in 1986.

CW
And mine..
07 S2R 1000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prettybike.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	210474  
RBX, Bub and o.c.f.rider like this.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Bub

Ducati / Audi might want to look at introducing a line of re-issue classic bikes like the S2R's ,etc. They are so sweet. Gibson and Fender does this with their guitars, re-issues of the Strat, 56' Les Paul Gold Top on and on. The Ducati tooling for production is in hand so why not? You heard it here first!
breaddrink and BleedingEubber like this.

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Ducati / Audi might want to look at introducing a line of re-issue classic bikes like the S2R's ,etc. They are so sweet. Gibson and Fender does this with their guitars, re-issues of the Strat, 56' Les Paul Gold Top on and on. The Ducati tooling for production is in hand so why not? You heard it here first!
The problem with that is that it isn't just technology that marches on. It's government that marches on. All bikes sold in the EU now must have ABS. They must all comply with the Euro 4 emissions standards (and soon Euro 5). Not only would the manufacturers not be allowed to re-issue classic bikes, the bureaucrats are working to make it disallowed to ride the classic bikes you already own. Beware the creeping bastards.

PhilB
JTP and o.c.f.rider like this.

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Bub

I'm glad guitars aren't subject to EU regulations...
philb likes this.

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Garage
I own a 2014 Monster 1200S, and to be honest, it wasn't my favorite bike when it was announced. I liked the tank from the 1100Evo better, this one looked like unfinished, too simple, the seams at the bottom looked... cheap. I didn't love the full TFT display either, I love analog gauges, at least the tach. However, I understand that models have to evolve, being this due to safety/pollution regulations, to keep up with new technology or just for the joy of industrial designers that like to push the boundaries.

Technology is an important drive for this changes, I've never had fancy electronics in my bikes before, but I really like to have at least ABS (I'm not getting any younger so it's good to have some support) different frame, wheelbase, etc. All this things make the overall package different, whether we like it or not but that's how everything changes in the industry.

Things cannot stay the same forever otherwise they'll become obsolete, regardless of how cherished they are. If Ducati or any other manufacturer ketp the same style/technolgy indefinitely they'll become... well, Harley Davidson. And they're struggling to close the gap they left all that time now when their loyal clients are dying of old age and the younger ones look for something else. In the end it's all bussiness.

The good thing is that there is always market and interest for previous models and like cars, you can keep or look for a specific year/model that appeals to you and keep it that way. I think this is the better option because the new retro trend in the bikes is not really the real thing. In the end, they must keep with regulations and be competitive in the market so they end up feeling like expensive, stripped down versions of their modern counterparts.

So, yes, the latest monster lineup it's different, but it is not bad, it's a very capable machine, even more than it's predecesors. Maybe it lost some of the charm of the original, but it's still a Monster, and the good thing about it, is that it can be customized to "fix" many of this issues. I changed the headlight because I liked the round design, painted the tank to make it look different, played with the geometry with a drag bar and adjustable foot pegs and some other things.

In the end, I've turned my monster in the bike I want to ride, and I'm very happy with it, I wouldn't change it for another model, the same way most of you think of you bikes. There is no way to stop if Ducati wants to make a radical redesign for future models but we'll always have the choice to update it or keep the ones that we know and love. Or both if you're rich.

The only thing that we can do is agree with Bob Dylan: "The Times They Are A-Changin'"
philb and Rosso Classico like this.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I didn't love the full TFT display either, I love analog gauges, at least the tach.

I changed the headlight because I liked the round design, painted the tank to make it look different, played with the geometry with a drag bar and adjustable foot pegs and some other things.
You are not the only one and that's why the "heritage" line of BMW with the R9T (Euro4 compliant now) has been so successful.

Ducati wants the new Monster to replace the Streetfighter 1098 which was killed off in 2012. I wished they stayed true to the "less is more" philosophy and came out with a classic looking desmodue 1200cc.

With EICMA just a few weeks away and rumors of a big cc Scrambler maybe someone in Bologna has been listening to my prayers.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:09 PM

Did we want to talk perfection.....

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 AM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Those forks!!!
Nice bike.

Ride On!

Chris
Charger22 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode