899 or 959 as entry level superbike? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Garage
The 899 is a GREAT bike, also on the road, in rain, in dry, in twisties, in straight lines, but no so much in traffic. Actually I would hate to take it to a track and lay it down. I'd rather use a GSXR or Yamaha for a track bike. You don't need a liter bike for track, and in most cases since the bike can out preform you if you're a track n00b, it's better to go with a 600 or 750 the first year or two. Full disclosure I did a track day with my M1100 and it was a blast even though not a track-suited bike. CBR600s with track set up could do better.

Mostly I just don't think "entry level" and "liter bike" belong in the same sentence. Not to say you shouldn't have a liter bike, but there is nothing really entry level about them.

"I have to get a licence to drive a motorcycle to protect myself and the people around me. I am adamant there should be some sort of licensing required to have children." - Tim Allen

2002 CB750 SOLD
2010 M1100 Silver
2009 M1100S Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot @marlene996 but it's too late.. 899 is already here and I am a happy camper. Got a great deal for a 2nd hand bike. 2,400 miles on it and paid about half off sticker price.
I didn't have a chance to take it to the track yet and only drove it on the highway and some country side but it gave me the chills.
The throttle response and handling is out of this world. Nothing like the monster - not that the monster is bad - it's just entirely different. On the monster I never had my knees so close to the ground but on the Panigale it's almost a given to have millimeters of gap between your knee and the road in turns. They just drive entirely different. Nothing but love for the monster but the panigale really deserves to be in its on category, just like the monster.
I am probably exaggerating here as I am still thrilled from my 3-4 rides on the Panigale but overall I am still in that 'I just got a new bike'-feeling
Like you mentioned, I am actually really worried to lay this bike down on the track and should have gotten something 'easier' but Ducati is in my blood, there is no substitute. I will have to learn the hard way and be prepared to invest in a couple of new fairings, or tons of sticker sets to hide the scratches.
Probably better to do a proper review in a couple of weeks from now

Follow my build thread: Custom Ducati DraXter 90th Anniversary Build

2013 795 ABS - DraXter
2016 Panigale 899
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Garage
@ Monster795 I'm glad to hear it! I totally agree that the 899 is in a class of it's own. Of every Ducati I have ridden I really think the 899 is the best bike they have ever built. I had the opportunity to ride one in Hawaii and another time in Denver CO through the mountains. I love my Monster but if I could have a do-over I would buy the 899. The price was just right on the Monster at the time and the 899 used price was too close to New.

Invest in some good frame sliders etc for the bike to minimize any damage *if* you lay it down. You will have a blast at the track. Two best piece of advice I had were:

> Let everyone else ride too hard on the first two laps. Take it easy and warm up your tires.

> You don't have to ride "balls to the wall" just because it's a track day and push outside of your comfort zone. You don't have to crash either. Enjoy it and feel it. And read Keith Code "A Twist of the Wrist".

Have fun!

"I have to get a licence to drive a motorcycle to protect myself and the people around me. I am adamant there should be some sort of licensing required to have children." - Tim Allen

2002 CB750 SOLD
2010 M1100 Silver
2009 M1100S Red
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene996 View Post
@ Monster795 I'm glad to hear it! I totally agree that the 899 is in a class of it's own. Of every Ducati I have ridden I really think the 899 is the best bike they have ever built. I had the opportunity to ride one in Hawaii and another time in Denver CO through the mountains. I love my Monster but if I could have a do-over I would buy the 899. The price was just right on the Monster at the time and the 899 used price was too close to New.

Invest in some good frame sliders etc for the bike to minimize any damage *if* you lay it down. You will have a blast at the track. Two best piece of advice I had were:

> Let everyone else ride too hard on the first two laps. Take it easy and warm up your tires.

> You don't have to ride "balls to the wall" just because it's a track day and push outside of your comfort zone. You don't have to crash either. Enjoy it and feel it. And read Keith Code "A Twist of the Wrist".

Have fun!
Appreciate all the input! Frame sliders are already on and luckily I will have the track most weekdays to myself or almost to myself. It's an open track which is only shut for people like me on special events, so during the week almost no one is there
Will allow me to practice a lot, before I go 'balls out'. It's tempting isn't it - that throttle response and the overall power and feel of the bike - but I value my safety these days so I am actually buying a new set of tires first and a few other things.
A complete racing suite and boots for myself is a must too of course

Follow my build thread: Custom Ducati DraXter 90th Anniversary Build

2013 795 ABS - DraXter
2016 Panigale 899
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 PM

Garage
@Monster795
Keith Code "A Twist of the Wrist 2"

2018 Multistrada Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode