2017 Monster 797 - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 26Likes

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:24 PM

I also support having this monster. I am surprised on the video how tall the handlebars are. But, that's any easy change for those who don't like it.

2013 Streetfighter 848; 2012 Monster 1100 evo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM

hopefully it at least has a metal tank...
MotoBella likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 12:27 PM

Supposedly, yes, a metal tank according to the literature.
philb likes this.

2013 Streetfighter 848; 2012 Monster 1100 evo
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 02:16 PM

I like it. it's an attractive bike. a tail cowl would be nice, especially for the white one.

I wonder if it's tank would fit on my 1100. If it does and is bigger than the my tank, then I may wait a couple of years and find a used tank to extend my range.

*googled. it's almost a gallon bigger.
MotoBella likes this.

Last edited by 1UglyBastard; 11-09-2016 at 02:43 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 06:58 AM

Maybe, however, looking at dyno charts, stock Scramblers seem to make about the same power as a 696 despite being rated 5 hp lower (high 60s at the wheel).

They seem to pick up about 4-5 hp with slip ons and a power commander, so about the same or a little less than what I've seen for stock 796, but still less than 796 with similar mods. That makes me wonder if there are some internal changes as well.

2013 Monster 696 20th AE
Darmah Art Kit
CRG Hindsight LS bar-ends/RhinoMoto bar end sliders
Shogun frame sliders, R&G front/rear axle sliders
Evotech Tail Tidy, Motodynamic integrated tail light
Two Brothers Racing Silver Series slip-ons, Termignoni air filter w/Ducati Performance airbox lid.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I wouldn't not be surprised if a lot of hidden power masked by Euro 4 compliance is unleashed by the addition of a few after-market parts.

I think I read that this bike has a single throttle body vs our dual throttle bodies. I'm sure that makes a difference.

I like the frame over the 821 n 1200. And the general smaller size of engine and build. Not trading my 796 for it but if I was in the market and wanted something new I would take that over a 821 or 1200.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:39 AM

Garage
I always stated that it was a mistake for Ducati to drop the 696. It was the perfect Ducati entry bike for both males and especially females which now constitute 14% of all motorcycle sales. I'm very pleased with Ducati's attempt to reverses this error. I really like this new bike but it's still not as good as a 696 and it has nothing to do with horsepower. The 696 had a fantastically low seat height of 30.3 inches. The 797's seat height is about 1 1/2 inches higher at 31.7 inches which leaves room for improvement.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but shall return in a new iteration)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:31 PM

The Cycleworld article on the 797 says that the seat height is adjustable from 30.9"-31.7" Not as low as the 696, but still pretty low.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:20 AM

Garage
my opinion is worthless, but im not sleepy yet so i'll share it anyway...

im not down with it. there are a number of reasons why, and so here we go:

1: its certainly not "pretty". the design of the original monster was muscular yet somehow elegant. the 2nd gen monster carried some, but not all of that same "panache". this looks like the result of a drunken bootycall between a streetfighter and a scrambler. all that plastic, weird stubby fender, offset shock, and lack of a seat cowl maybe? i dunno. however, looks are subjective. theres even chicks out there that dig me

2: its overpriced and under-spec'd. granted, $10K is cheap for a Ducati, but if you took away the branding and slapped "Hyosung" on it, would it still be worth it? they could have used slightly lower spec components in certain areas(brakes, LCD display) in order to either lower the total price or provide better componentry elsewhere(fork, engine), therefore balancing out the bike better.

3: new riders probably shouldn't buy a new Ducati(or any new bike), and most experienced riders probably wouldn't want the entry level Ducati either. heres where i'll elaborate.

IMHO, IMHO, and IMHO, new riders need something a little worn down to learn proper riding technique. tired engines, clutches, suspensions, and brakes are far more forgiving than brand new equipment. how many of you have yanked the throttle or grabbed the front brake on a sporty bike and almost crapped your pants? i bet that wouldn't have happened on a drum-brake bike with 32hp. i've said it a million times(ok maybe like a dozen) "find yourself a cb400 for $500. when you can wring that thing out, then find yourself something you can be proud of". you could also easily substitute $500 CB400 with $2,000 1st gen Monster and have similar learning experience and maybe wind up keeping it and not needing a replacement bike! in fact, im now going to permanently change my "Mantra" and replace CB400 with M600-750

next is the experienced rider buying his/her first Ducati. why in the world would anybody with riding experience buy this over a 1200 or even 821? its not as good and doesn't cost THAT much less(especially over 5 years). then there are leftovers. i'd bet my own butt when that thing hits showroom floors, some of those dealers will have leftover 821's, which would both be cheaper and superior to the 797.

in a nutshell, i think its a loser. i also think they will probably sell millions of them, but not for the right reasons. people who are scared of better bike will buy it because its Italian, and that is all.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:24 AM

Garage
oh also, i forgot to mention: for some reason unbeknownst to me, Ducati is rating the 75hp of this one at the wheel. if you look at its technical specs there's an asterisk next to its output, and below that is a disclaimer explaining how the power output is measured using a chassis dynamometer.

"The power values indicated above are measured using a chassis dynamometer. Homologated power data, as quoted in the Bike Registration Document, are measured using an engine dynamometer according to the homologation regulation. The two power values may differ because of the different measurement equipments."

is this common in the bike world? my S4RS is supposed to be in the 130hp range, and after a flash, slip on, airbox and 13,000 miles it made that at the wheel

i don't know how that measures up with you guys saying that its not as powerful as your 696/796/etc, as i have no idea what those bikes claimed output is or how its measured, i just know it was worth mentioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode