Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   General Monster Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/general-monster-forum/)
-   -   Tired of Ducati Maintenance (shops) - a rant (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/general-monster-forum/332714-tired-ducati-maintenance-shops-rant.html)

marlene996 09-10-2016 01:58 AM

Tired of Ducati Maintenance (shops) - a rant

I am not a do it yourselfer. Case and point, I removed the tail tidy that my bike came with and reinstalled the stock fender and Rizoma turn signals. As a result I kinked the servo cable reinstalling it and I have to pay the shop $25 in parts + $90 in labor to replace it. So I'd rather just identify the problem, take it to the shop, have it fixed, and ride off into the sunset.

I took my 09 M1100 in to get the check engine light fixed. It was costing $120 to diagnose the engine light and $280 for the annual service (basically oil change and list of checks). But a computer check is included in the annual. So I said, wait are you going to double charge me if I do the annual service? THEN he said, no, if there is not fault codes then not. If there is fault codes we'll charge you $60, since the annual service includes reading fault codes but not troubleshooting them. So I went with the annual. I don't have time to price shop. I know they are ripping me off. Installing frame sliders on my bike in the Netherlands cost me $30. The same job here in California cost me $120.

Fault codes were for the servo (kinked cable), battery not holding charge (suspected this and had a new oem battery installed - they said never put a lithium battery in a Ducati?!) and a cylinder starter coil (but I have not had problems starting the bike). So they did everything else on the "annual service" oil change and ordered the servo cable and I took the bike for the weekend.

I was riding in the middle of nowhere Nevada (just passed Genoa at the 395 intersection) and I stopped at a traffic light and glanced down at my newly installed and totally awesome Speedymoto frame sliders to see oil streaks on the left side. WTF.... I just so happen to have a KTM dealer right there on the corner (picture the middle of the desert and suddenly a KTM shop appears next to you like in a dream). I pulled in and asked the guys in the shop if they would help me take a look, maybe the oil was over filled or something. Basically it looked like the oil was coming from the silver tube above the black California box. I'll post a picture later. The mech grabbed a wrench and tightened the bolt on the crush washer, wiped the area off with a rag for me and wouldn't take my money.

When he checked the oil level he said it looked like they didn't even clean the oil fill area after they refilled it. When he tightened the bolt he said, it looked like it was slowly leaking for a while by the amount of dirt and build up, it was obvious there was something going on there.

Is it just me or am I wrong, but if I pay $280 for an "annual check" (read: oil change) and this was an existing leak should they have caught this? On the list I got from them of what that check includes is also a safety inspection and soft clean. Among 20 other things. >:(

In April I had a check engine light and had the bike in for an other oil leak (dried up seal from lack of riding) but they didn't say anything to me about the check engine light when they gave the bike back.

I suspect when they put it back together with the new seal they didn't properly tighten that bolt and it's been slowly leaking since. I just noticed now because the frame sliders are on there and the oil sprayed on the left.

This is a perfect motorcycle if properly maintained. I think Ducati Maintenance is shitty and that gives the bike a bad rap. They are too far from Italy here and so they don't have any accountability.

As of this moment I can not recommend A&S Motorcycles in Sacramento to Anyone. Take your money somewhere else. And if you live in Northern Nevada or Tahoe and need gear take your money to that KTM shop. Those guys were knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

jduke 09-10-2016 11:44 AM

Perfect reason to do your own service.

marlene996 09-10-2016 11:11 PM

I agree. I figured out how to read the fault code tonight. Going to order the $20 part from Ducati Omaha, and replace it myself next week. Here's an excerpt from my Yelp review....

>>>I had scheduled a follow up appointment to have a new servo cable installed. The service guy told me this takes about 15 minutes + computer check, but to expect a minimum 4 hour wait. I rode in today to talk to the Service Manager and when I asked why a 4 hour wait for a FOLLOW UP service WITH an appointment he informed me that they work like triage in an emergency room.

Triage works to save lives. I am pretty sure another broken bike coming in is not the same. I asked if that meant that when working on my bike during my appointment they would stop to start working on a walk-in, he just shrugged. I asked what is the point of making an appointment and he said that is just the way they do things around here. I asked if I make an appointment for a tire check and oil level check if the wait would also be a minimum of 4 hours and he said yes it would.

I also asked him what a "safety inspection" entailed as this was listed under the $280 annual inspection and he showed me their Multi-Point Inspection card - the same card A&S advertises on their website and in their store, "When you bring your bike in for any service, we'll do a Multi-Point Inspection at no additional charge". So there is no "Safety Inspection" which you pay for as part of an "annual inspection", and nothing to feel safe about when you ride out of their service department. <<<

I'm done with that bulls*t. My boyfriend asked me why I'm taking a Ducati to a place that also services and sells BMW and Triumph, how do you know your even getting a Ducati mechanic. Good question.

oldndumb 09-11-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlene996 (Post 3060138)

My boyfriend asked me why I'm taking a Ducati to a place that also services and sells BMW and Triumph, how do you know your even getting a Ducati mechanic. Good question.

Our dealer sells Ducatis, BMWs, and KTMs. Their techs have attended factory training and ongoing seminars for each marque. The training certificates are posted for viewing. The dealer is agreeable when we specify that the Duc trained tech works on our bikes. We can also observe who is working on the bike because there is a viewing area in the shop. Very unfortunate that some shops do not have similar practices.

marlene996 09-11-2016 03:30 PM

Wish I lived close to you!

Part is on it's way. :)

LuckyDuc75 09-11-2016 11:27 PM

I feel your pain. I had a 15k service done on my bike and while riding it the next day my right caliper fell off the mount and slammed into my front fender. After getting the bike stopped using the rear brake, I inspected the other caliper and found the top bolt halfway out and the bottom mounting bolt loose. Turns out that the tech failed to torque the caliper mounting bolts after replacing the fork oil. Went back and reviewed my invoice and noticed that it said that the belts were replaced, but there was no parts charge for the belts in the parts list. Turns out that the belts were forgotten as well.

I get sick to my stomach to this day thinking about it. I'm trying to learn to do as much maintenance as I can. I may not be as knowledgeable as a factory trained tech, but at least I won't forget to torque my caliper mounting bolts.

philb 09-12-2016 11:37 AM

There are good shops out there; you just have to hunt them down. Good shops will (a) be thorough, (b) discuss all of the issues to be done at the start, and everything that was found at the end, (c) give you the opportunity to see (and keep if you want) the old parts, and (d) do a testride (if possible) before handing the bike back over. Sonny Angel's (now closed) in San Diego was like this. Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry, NH, is like this. Moto Europa in St. Louis, MO, is like this.

PhilB

Duc96cr 09-13-2016 10:21 AM

Don't support a bad shop ! For whatever reason there are a lot of bad Ducati dealers who will brazenly overcharge and do poor work. Talk to other Ducati riders in your area and find out who they trust. Always check your bike over before you leave the shop.