1100 evo shakes/luggy under 3300 rpm normal? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

1100 evo shakes/luggy under 3300 rpm normal?

just bought a 2012 monster 1100 evo last night..was wondering if the shaky lugginess is normsal whn riding under 3300 rpm..more noticeable 4th 5th n 6th gear on the highway.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Yes, that is normal. Termis help smooth it out though as does a 14T front sprocket.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 PM

That's exactly the way my 2013 behaved. Anything under 3500 rpm in any gear was sluggish with spitting and sputtering. It acted like it was running on one cylinder. My Termignoni slip-on kit had no effect on it. I had an ECU reflash performed and it cured better than 90% of it. The next step is -1 on the front sprocket.

MIST
'13 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
'13 BMW R1200GSW
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It's a Ducati. You run them at or above 4,000 rpm. Heck I think it's even in the owners manual. If you learn to love them that way, they will reward you with intense performance.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIST View Post
That's exactly the way my 2013 behaved. Anything under 3500 rpm in any gear was sluggish with spitting and sputtering. It acted like it was running on one cylinder. My Termignoni slip-on kit had no effect on it. I had an ECU reflash performed and it cured better than 90% of it. The next step is -1 on the front sprocket.
ecu reflash cured 90% for real?
but others are saying its normal behavior....hmmmm...
now i hope more can chime in...wondering if those that are sayng its normal are just dealing with it and should get an ecu reflash
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 AM

Normal. They "chatter" at ~2500 to ~3500. You have to learn how to ride them. When I first got mine, I rode it like my CBR. The handle bars shook as I pulled away in 1st. Eventually, I listened to the bike and learned to ride it how it likes. I don't see that chatter anymore.

It's got nothing to do with the ECU.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 AM

Go down one tooth in the front sprocket and it will help. A G2 throttle tube should help too. And a re-flash of the ECU, which is an adjustment to 'mapping', will definitely help.

2010 M696 (Red)
Evotech Fender Eliminator
Cluster Cover - No fairing
Lightwerkes Integrated Tail light
Leo Vince GP Style Slip-ons
Black Rizoma Bars
Barracuda Retro Stone Mirrors
14t Front Sprocket
Techspec Tank Pads
EuroShoud/TPO Removal Kit
Speedymoto Frame, Front/Rear Axle Sliders
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You can do all of that, but none of it is necessary.

If you step back and let the bike explain itself to you, it's not difficult to feel it's powerband and ride within it. It happens to be above 3,500. If you ride a Japanese inline 4 it will be different yet. If you have a vintage parallel twin, it's another story. Try a 2 stroke and it may make some power down low, but expect a swift kick in the ass above 6,000 rpm. All engines perform differently.

I guess my problem is that I've owned several cars from the 60's and 70's all the way up to modern and some were death traps. I've owned over a hundred motorcycles, some are kick start only, some electric only. Some shift on the right while most shift on the left. Some have drum brakes, some have disc. Some used "GP" shift while others were the normal configuration. Some were built in 1958, some were built in 2008. Each machine is different and I had to be flexible. I couldn't get on my 1972 Norton and expect it to ride the same as my 2008 S4RS, or vice versa.

If you just learn to find the sweet spots, no throttle tamers, 14 tooth sprockets, ECU remapping is necessary. Sure you can do all that, but they run just fine without it. I've got 4 Ducati's at my house that say I'm right.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumacher_don View Post
ecu reflash cured 90% for real?
but others are saying its normal behavior....hmmmm...
now i hope more can chime in...wondering if those that are sayng its normal are just dealing with it and should get an ecu reflash
It depends what exactly you are referring to. There are actually 2 things that happen with the bike when run under 4k... There is poor fueling which cause some surging and stumbling, but there is also lugging (that shake you get) under 3.5k RPM. All sport twins I have ever owned do the same thing (Lugging- And the more CCs the worse it is). The only one that did not was my Hawk GT, but that thing only pushed about 40 HP and 35 ft lbs. You just need to ride twins the way they prefer, which is generally at 4k RPM and above. However, I actually LOVE rolling this thing on in 3rd gear at 3k RPM, because I find it's not so luggy in 3rd gear if you are *light* with the throttle uptake... it sounds amazing at that point and I LOVE the way the power comes on doing this it is very satisfying to me. What the re-map fixes is the absurd surging and stumbling from the closed loop O2 sensor effed with fueling below 4k (felt most pronouncedly in 1st and 2nd gear).

Sundad - Father and Son Acoustic fusion guitar trio http://www.sundad.com
See us on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dqw8Fd-iL8
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Simply a good balance of throttle works for me

2012 796 Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode