interesting observation (servo/exhaust valve) - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

interesting observation (servo/exhaust valve)

Two interesting observations,
Let me preface this by saying Iím still getting used to the bike only have 250 miles on her.
I had the bike out for a hour long ride last night and noticed every time I rolled on the gas the bike would hesitate for a split second.
And you could hear the exhaust muffled.
I thought to myself it maybe the servo/exhaust valve, so today before my trip to work I just disconnected the cable to the valve.
Wow what a difference. Not only is that hesitation gone but the bike sounds so much better cruzing around (part throttle).

Oh yeah, without that big rear fender on the back everything you run over ends up on your backÖ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM

So did you just ride around with the CEL on ?

Knows if you and Fiona have been doin' it !

2012 Monster 796 Red
Arrow Thunder full Carbon slip-ons
Pazzo Powder Coated Red Short Levers
14T Front Sprocket
Bitubo Red Steering Damper
Speedymoto Frame and Rear Axle Sliders
Evotech Tail Tidy, Motodynamic Smoke Integrated Tail
Rizoma Radial Naked Mirrors (under mounted)
Ducati Tank Guard, Fluorescent Yellow Rim Tape
Painted "Windscreen", and Headlight Surround+Removed Signal Spacers
CNC Racing Reservoir Covers and Oil Plug
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Sounds like he didn't disconnect the servo electrical connection, just the cable on the valve itself. The computer will still think the valve is working.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h. View Post
Sounds like he didn't disconnect the servo electrical connection, just the cable on the valve itself. The computer will still think the valve is working.
Is this a recommended practice? I'm kind of intrigued...
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM

I did it on mine, if you disconnect the cable from the actual valve it will default to the open position
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h. View Post
If you disconnect the cable from the servo, yes it will leave the valve in the open position (default), but the CEL will still come on. When the ignition is turned on, the servo does a self-check, and without the cable will not stop in the right position, and will throw a CEL. The proper way to do it is to either get a servo block-off plate (check ebay if they even make it for a Monster) or buy a Duc.ee eliminator which will allow for the removal of the entire servo unit.

Just to add, you can disconnect the harness under the seat going to the servo motor to see what the bike feels like, it won't hurt anything, just the CEL will be on. It will go off when you reconnect the servo motor.

Ducati Monster 796 ABS - Best colour
Trackday upgrade pack:
-Streetfighter bars, radial brake and clutch masters
-Braking SK front rotors
-Ohlins DU737 / 1100 Showa forks w/Racetech .85 springs, Ohlins FPK valving & K-Tech comp needles
-S4R rearsets / LSL racing pegs
-SC Project Carbon Slip-Ons, Carbon belt covers
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszilves View Post
If you disconnect the cable from the servo, yes it will leave the valve in the open position (default), but the CEL will still come on. When the ignition is turned on, the servo does a self-check, and without the cable will not stop in the right position, and will throw a CEL. The proper way to do it is to either get a servo block-off plate (check ebay if they even make it for a Monster) or buy a Duc.ee eliminator which will allow for the removal of the entire servo unit.

Just to add, you can disconnect the harness under the seat going to the servo motor to see what the bike feels like, it won't hurt anything, just the CEL will be on. It will go off when you reconnect the servo motor.
Good to know! I think I will experiment with the results first by disconnecting the harness to the motor and seeing the difference.

GhettoGarage, let us know if your CEL does, in fact, come on eventually with the cable disconnected. Thanks!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM

With only 250 miles on the bike, the computer still hasn't fully "learned" your setup.
In fact, you can't truly judge the bike until the computer really learns the setup which is after the break in period, when you can run through the entire rpm range at full throttle.

When I changed out my pipes and air filter, the bike didn't really come alive until after about a hundred miles of blasting around country roads.

2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tony, that is why I said I only have 250 miles. Agreed.
No CEL, and I just put another 20 on her at lunch today.

The range of motion is the same I checked it last night.
I can take a picture if you would like to see.

I will let you know if I get a CEL, I have a 23 mile ride home tonight.

2012 796
Mods.
stock pipes no cats
Atomic tail chop
more to come...
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Disconnecting just the cable will not throw the CEL. I've had mine disconnected for approximately 1500 miles. No light. Disconnecting the electrical harness however, results in immediate CEL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode