Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   General Monster Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/general-monster-forum/)
-   -   interesting observation (servo/exhaust valve) (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/general-monster-forum/218065-interesting-observation-servo-exhaust-valve.html)

ghettogarage 03-27-2013 09:47 AM

interesting observation (servo/exhaust valve)

Two interesting observations,
Let me preface this by saying Iím still getting used to the bike only have 250 miles on her.
I had the bike out for a hour long ride last night and noticed every time I rolled on the gas the bike would hesitate for a split second.
And you could hear the exhaust muffled.
I thought to myself it maybe the servo/exhaust valve, so today before my trip to work I just disconnected the cable to the valve.
Wow what a difference. Not only is that hesitation gone but the bike sounds so much better cruzing around (part throttle).

Oh yeah, without that big rear fender on the back everything you run over ends up on your backÖ

scottydoesnt 03-27-2013 10:56 AM

So did you just ride around with the CEL on ?

chris h. 03-27-2013 11:10 AM

Sounds like he didn't disconnect the servo electrical connection, just the cable on the valve itself. The computer will still think the valve is working.

gkmunch 03-27-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris h. (Post 2432585)
Sounds like he didn't disconnect the servo electrical connection, just the cable on the valve itself. The computer will still think the valve is working.

Is this a recommended practice? I'm kind of intrigued...

chris h. 03-27-2013 11:27 AM

I did it on mine, if you disconnect the cable from the actual valve it will default to the open position

mszilves 03-27-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris h. (Post 2432585)

If you disconnect the cable from the servo, yes it will leave the valve in the open position (default), but the CEL will still come on. When the ignition is turned on, the servo does a self-check, and without the cable will not stop in the right position, and will throw a CEL. The proper way to do it is to either get a servo block-off plate (check ebay if they even make it for a Monster) or buy a Duc.ee eliminator which will allow for the removal of the entire servo unit.

Just to add, you can disconnect the harness under the seat going to the servo motor to see what the bike feels like, it won't hurt anything, just the CEL will be on. It will go off when you reconnect the servo motor.

gkmunch 03-27-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mszilves (Post 2432633)
If you disconnect the cable from the servo, yes it will leave the valve in the open position (default), but the CEL will still come on. When the ignition is turned on, the servo does a self-check, and without the cable will not stop in the right position, and will throw a CEL. The proper way to do it is to either get a servo block-off plate (check ebay if they even make it for a Monster) or buy a Duc.ee eliminator which will allow for the removal of the entire servo unit.

Just to add, you can disconnect the harness under the seat going to the servo motor to see what the bike feels like, it won't hurt anything, just the CEL will be on. It will go off when you reconnect the servo motor.

Good to know! I think I will experiment with the results first by disconnecting the harness to the motor and seeing the difference.

GhettoGarage, let us know if your CEL does, in fact, come on eventually with the cable disconnected. Thanks!

TonyDiv 03-27-2013 12:40 PM

With only 250 miles on the bike, the computer still hasn't fully "learned" your setup.
In fact, you can't truly judge the bike until the computer really learns the setup which is after the break in period, when you can run through the entire rpm range at full throttle.

When I changed out my pipes and air filter, the bike didn't really come alive until after about a hundred miles of blasting around country roads.

ghettogarage 03-27-2013 12:52 PM

Thanks Tony, that is why I said I only have 250 miles. Agreed.
No CEL, and I just put another 20 on her at lunch today.

The range of motion is the same I checked it last night.
I can take a picture if you would like to see.

I will let you know if I get a CEL, I have a 23 mile ride home tonight.

chris h. 03-27-2013 07:18 PM

Disconnecting just the cable will not throw the CEL. I've had mine disconnected for approximately 1500 miles. No light. Disconnecting the electrical harness however, results in immediate CEL.