anybody actually dyno a DP ecu - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

anybody actually dyno a DP ecu

just curious if anybody has seen any real numbers or graphs

i'm talkin take a stock, dyno it
slap on the exhaust (slip ons or full) , ecu and air filter

and see what she'll pull

and whether the ECU is really needed, i keep hearing DUC dealers like to void warranties w/o the ECU "upgrade" which is utter BS, prob 90+% of the bikes out there w/ exhaust mods don't have ECU upgrades. my '08 busa had a full akra exhaust and other then popping on decel. never had a prob. nor my '00 VFR w/ 62k and a full TBR exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 PM

I dont think youll get much action on this questions. Its like a dirty little secret no one understands or is interested in talking about. Supposedly the dp kit, ecu , air filter and muffler..nets a total of 1 horsepower
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 AM

That's what I found when I brought my 696 in for a dyno session. We compared Stock, Termi with the DP ecu, and my Protune bike. The difference in actual hp wasn't more than a couple. I'll find the thread with the dyno sheets attached and post it.

2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Dirty little secret sums it up well. Who wants to admit they payed 1500 bucks for 1 or 2 horsepower. As far as I can tell the ECU raises the rev limiter to about 9000 on the 696 instead of 8500 and the extra air and fuel are used to get it to the 9000 rpm mark without melting the pistons.

I don't think there is a lot of room to make much more power on these bikes when you consider my buddies 1700cc Harley is only making 65 horse power or using 26cc per horsepower and my monster is making 80 horsepower using only 696cc or 8.7cc per horsepower. That is a really high specific output for a normally aspirated, air cooled engine.

I've said it before and I will say it again: I did not buy a monster because it was the most powerful bike I could get for the dollar. I bought it for its character, sound, feel, handling, and drop dead good looks.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyducati View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again: I did not buy a monster because it was the most powerful bike I could get for the dollar. I bought it for its character, sound, feel, handling, and drop dead good looks.
Man, you hit the nail on the head.Same here! I love the bike, love the looks, love the sound.. but if i needed to go faster, id be looking at any used crotch rocket to accomplish that goal.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM

This makes me think, who has installed the dp kit? and how did they convince you? are they lying about the performance benefits at the shop during the original sale? Cause, if you told me it would net 1 horsepower.. id obviously never pay for it.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polivo View Post
Man, you hit the nail on the head.Same here! I love the bike, love the looks, love the sound.. but if i needed to go faster, id be looking at any used crotch rocket to accomplish that goal.
so why buy an exhaust? if it's fast enough? poser points? which is fine.

but the reality is that many dealerships threaten warranty probs if you don't install the ECU along w/ the exhaust, which is BS

thats what this thread is about. what actually gains if any or what benefit?

want to talk about how pretty your bike is there are plenty of threads.

as for ducatidaddy, my busa which was a 1340cc inline-4 made 160+ RWHP, please don't talk performance and HD in the same sentence.

there's a reason duc 848's compete in the 600cc class and why duc 1098's compete in the 1000cc class.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polivo View Post
This makes me think, who has installed the dp kit? and how did they convince you? are they lying about the performance benefits at the shop during the original sale? Cause, if you told me it would net 1 horsepower.. id obviously never pay for it.
It may not sound like it makes any sense, but the mods that I made really do make the bike perform better across the entire rpm range, it just didn't make much more power.

I also really do think that the bike sounds anemic with the stock cans on it. They just had to go.

Oh, here's the post with the dyno sheets
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...ml#post2326824

2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!

Last edited by TonyDiv; 10-15-2011 at 03:51 PM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER_X View Post
so why buy an exhaust? if it's fast enough? poser points? which is fine.

but the reality is that many dealerships threaten warranty probs if you don't install the ECU along w/ the exhaust, which is BS

thats what this thread is about. what actually gains if any or what benefit?

want to talk about how pretty your bike is there are plenty of threads.

as for ducatidaddy, my busa which was a 1340cc inline-4 made 160+ RWHP, please don't talk performance and HD in the same sentence.

there's a reason duc 848's compete in the 600cc class and why duc 1098's compete in the 1000cc class.

Racer, I'm assuming your Busa is no longer yours because you blew it up or crashed it. I'm jus saying you just seem the type, loud and a little obtuse. I think comparing an air cooled 2 cylinder to an air cooled 2 cylinder, both in a V configuration, is a fair and enlightening comparison.

I'm not sure why Ducati is able to compete in the 600 class with an 844. Are you? I am willing to bet it has a lot more to do with politics than performance.

I was right about the performance gains of the termi system, why wouldn't I be right about everything else, Racer. You asked a question and I gave you a good, intelligent answer. If we were in the same room I would slap your face for your little rant. You're a very bad boy.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 AM

I just want to point out that the Panigale would spank a Busa...with a smaller engine and still being a v-twin.

--DT

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode