Seat Stuck M696 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Seat Stuck M696

Having got everything on my 009 696 back togetrher it seems I cannot get the seat to release. The key will not activate the catch. Without being able to remove the seat I cant remove the tank etc.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is stuck, and how to get the seat to release. Before the seat was fitted the latch activated just fine.

Thanks,

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Mine got stuck when i put the Tidy tail on, I had to push down on the seat as i turned the key.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Yes, what he said ^^^^...bang on the seat as you turn the key or work push on it up and down doing as you would rock a bike back and forth to get it into or out of gear! After you get it off, put a bit of white lithium grease on the pin and its faying surfaces.

There are no extraordinary men, just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.

Early 2011 Showa Forks 796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
15/41 gearing.
2006 GSXR 600 track bike.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Always had to push down on mine while unlocking.

Geoff
Twitter: TaffyinLA
Ducati 1198 (2011). Lots of Ducati Performance extras
Yamaha FZ1 (200. Two Brothers Can, Obligatory tail chop and signals
Looking for a Monster S4RS Tricolore!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Dead battery and seat won't come off

I had to replace my turn signal (stock '09 M696) after a little slide a few months ago, and although I had no problems with my seat initially after everything was reassembled, now it won't budge. And I only noticed it because I have to replace my battery. Is it possible to release the seat from underneath the tail, after taking out the screws holding the rear fender?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Seat Stuck

I was not able to get to the latch by removing the fender from below; the fasteners need to be restrained from above while turning the screw from below. I could not find any way to get the seat of at all so ended up cutting the seat cushion and then cutting the base pan around the pin. Once I had the remains of the seat off I was able to turn the pin and remove it.
My problem was the very short cable that would not actuate properly. The cable outer was not inserted into the ferrule at the end and the very tight bend caused the cable to pich and the key would not activate the release. I was able to push the cable outer back in to the ferrule and this smoothed out the path of the cable so that it would all work again.
I found a brand new seat on ebay for $80 and this now works fine.
Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode