hairline crack on trellis frame - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy hairline crack on trellis frame

Hi all!

I have a 2001 monster s4 which has around 32,000km+ on it and am the second owner and the original owner had dropped it once nothing major he said. A year and a half has past, while cleaning it, what i thought was a scratch from the trellis joint seems to be a hairline crack coming from the welds seperating, this didnt show or noticed when i was buying it (see pictures, encircled in red and close up).

What options do i have? (Replace the frame or repair)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	100604   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack_trellis.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	100605  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 PM
MDO

Is it cracked only in that one location? I'd guess that would be repairable and that a new frame would mighty expensive.

So, this is life after bevel drives, eh?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 AM

find a real good mig welder. since that joint is a stress area he'll have to do a deep weld to make it strong. not to expensive to weld just to re paint and time taking things apart.

Her name is Samantha Ducati Maile..... Monster SAM for short lol. Beautiful Black, and ready to ride.<br /><br /><br />OH $h!t passed a cop at 159 do u think he saw me?!?!?!?!?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Is this a common frame failure? As I inspected the left side, it has started to have a hairline too but not as prominent.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Are there any cracks on the inside?
It is possible to repair, I would recommend a doubling plate that connects all four tubes.

capo di tutti capi
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Are there any cracks on the inside?
It is possible to repair, I would recommend a doubling plate that connects all four tubes.
I couldnt get a clear view, but by just feeling with my fingers, it seems there is none on the inside. I need to find a small mirror to look closer. I'll probably be bringing it in to the dealer on the weekend to get a better assessment.

Thanks all!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 PM

I know it's beyond the warranty period but it seems to me that if the frame cracked it would be a safety issue and Ducati would want to know about it. Try your dealer and see what happens.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Ive been a welder for 25 years...and I can honestly say that the weld is not cracking...atleast not from the front vantage point the photo is taken from.Can you see the actual edge of the weld cracking?..I do see a bit of rust so it is all the way to the base metal. It could very well be the weld cracking in the back though...yes it would be a major repair. I'm not sure what gauge the trellis frame is that year...but Mig Welding it might not even be an option...Look for a highly trained Tig welder to help that out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned View Post
Hi all!

I have a 2001 monster s4 which has around 32,000km+ on it and am the second owner and the original owner had dropped it once nothing major he said. A year and a half has past, while cleaning it, what i thought was a scratch from the trellis joint seems to be a hairline crack coming from the welds seperating, this didnt show or noticed when i was buying it (see pictures, encircled in red and close up).

What options do i have? (Replace the frame or repair)
Hi @stoned

I have a 2006 Ducati Monster 695 and have exactly the same crack in both sides of the frame ??!!...

What you did finally to solve it ?

Regards
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:44 AM

The OP has not posted since 2011.
However, there are a few similar threads out there on cracks such as these (google Ducati frame crack).
Find a good welder and have it fixed.
If you can do all the disassembly yourself, you will save a lot of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode