Touring on Monsters - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 9Likes

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike Qube
I've done 650 miles in a day on my M750, no fairing. The best investment that I made for that day was padded cycling shorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
That Airhawk cushion is THE ticket.
Specifically, which one do you have??
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Carrying a backpack on your back is not the way to go. Shoulders, arms take a lot of pressure. I have modified my monster to take pannier bags. Its a simple setup that uses andy strapz bags fro australia....I am obviously in Oz. The other thing is to get the weight as forward and as low as possible. Heavy stuff down the bottom of the bag, light stuff up the top. Minimize weight behind the rear axle.

Last edited by pezz60; 03-21-2011 at 05:48 AM.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 AM

Monsterparts has a great backpack that has straps around your chest and waist - a la grunt patrol webbing - it makes it a lot more secure and snug without the parachute effect of shoulder strap only packs. It also has a neat fold out bag that will easily take your helmet. Round shape kinda dorky - but who cares?
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:37 PM

Location: Beautiful Port Macquarie on the mid north coast of nsw Australia!
Garage
Touring

I have been riding for years now and touring our great land of AUSTRALIA (trust me this place is BIG) and the best advice I can give is exactly as already stated with a couple of modifications, build up to long distances slowly and always always make sure you stop every TWO hours even if it's just to fill up the tank. While filling the bike I always have a little mini jog on the spot just to get leg muscles and blood oxygen pumping through tired leg muscles which surprise does work! Then I go pay for the gas and buy a POWERADE ION4 which is one of those ELECTROLYTES drinks (depends on what you like) to help replace that which you have used while riding and sweating and these I find really help at the end of your ride as you don't have that DRAINED feeling hanging over you the next day.
I have no problem in doing 2,000klm in a day here in Australia as the distances are so great and the roads open out after the mountains but like everything you must plan your trip and time it accordingly so you know fuel availability (A closed service station is no help when your out of fuel) and rest periods etc etc but it's mostly common sense and as you get more experience the planning and RIDING will come that much easier. It's not all about just having a comfortable seat that I'm trying to convey here as you can see but too many riders try to do long distance without building up to it and wonder why they failed or worse still have an accident or get killed because their too tired or worn out from the extremes of distance travel and that is where I hope my little 10 cent's worth of advice will pay dividends for all other riders in future who may read this. I do my touring on my 2008 Suzuki GSX1400 (1402cc) Final Edition towing my camper trailer, I have also just brought my first Ducati recently after a 20 year wait (2003 monster S4R with only 15,055klm on her clock!) so just nicely run in lol.... and you can be assured that she will be doing some touring duties as well (just without the trailer) I have two other bikes in the stable as well one is a collectors item and rarely gets used (1988 GSX-R1100J limited edition only 50 made world wide, factory race bike Yoshi kitted engine from factory.) and my general purpose bike a 2002 Honda CB900 Hornet. I'm not proclaiming to know it all (I'm only 50) but as you can see I have had experience with a fair few different bikes and if I can just help ONE rider then I've achieved what I set out to do in this article. Thank you everyone for having a read and may you always stay shiny side UP! see you out on the road somewhere. Anthony.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:51 PM

I have the M1100 and the thing I hate most is the short range. I can only get about 100-110 highway miles before I have to start looking for gas. So if I want to do a 600 mile day, that's 5 stops, each taking me 10-15 minutes, adding up to an hour or more of commute time.

Because of this, if I have a time frame, I take my Ninja 300 which gives me twice the range, requiring half the stops.

I also have a universal tail bag to carry everything I need (I pack light), most importantly my tools.

I camp if it's a longer ride or sleep on benches at truck stops if I just have to catch up on sleep.

To save time, I plan bathroom breaks and meals around gas stops. If I just need to stretch my legs, I stand on my pegs and lean forward on the bars a bit.

Longest single day I've done is around 650 miles on the ninja, 450 miles on the monster. If I can invent some kind of simple way to feed fuel to my tank while riding, I'll take the monster on more trips.
savaship and Classico Rosso like this.

Last edited by 1UglyBastard; 12-27-2016 at 05:54 PM.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:50 PM

Garage
I have been touring (sealed road only) around Australia on my Monster 1100S for a few years and I'm loving it.
I really should have bought a Multistrada but I can't stand the look.

With bar raisers and properly sorted suspension, the bike is comfortable for long distance. Stock the Monster 1100S is way too stiff and quite uncomfortable on less than perect roads.

Fuel range wise, I get between 300-325kms before empty which is on par with what my friends on Multi 1200 get.
I've got the model without ABS, so my tank is slightly larger at 15L (tank capacity is reduced to 13.5L for M696/796/1100 with ABS).
Luggage wise, side panniers give you 2x14L, Tail bag 18L and tank bag another 14L. More than enough space to carry gear for a couple of weeks.

The Monster is the jack of all trades and if there is a will there is a way. After all, in Tassie I have met people touring Australia on Postie bikes (Honda CT110)!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brumbies.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	200801   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161211_19_43_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	200809  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 PM

Beautiful bike @LeFraussie

Follow my build thread: Custom Ducati DraXter 90th Anniversary Build

2013 795 ABS - DraXter
2016 Panigale 899
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 AM

Touring on a monster...of course it can be done, have will (and money), will travel as they say in my part of the world

It's a naked bike so yes, you don't have wind protection and the storage thing (or lack of it) can be a problem but there's always ways around that, a good tail bag or saddle bags is all that's needed really (and an iron butt)...

I frequently visited the Balkans with my 796, always solo and a 13lt tailbag and 40lt backpack would suit me just fine for a week long stay.
I'm 100% with LeFraussie, the Monster (the previous gen at least) worked wonders as a touring bike, loved the riding position as it wasn't that upright or too leaned, meaning, in a tucked position the lack of wind protection wasn't a problem (at least for me/my frame) plus, you wouldn't put much strain on your back (compared to a bike with a more upright riding position), really, for me it was perfect and i miss it comparing it to my now 1200S which is way more upright.

Riding with a 40lt backpack for 800+Km's a day...yes, it can be somewhat tiresome (and not that safe in case of a get-off) but, that's where (good) physical condition comes into play, also, properly adjusting the backpack's straps as to have it basically resting on your back and not having it dragging you down/back is also a must.
Fuel range can be an issue though, i keep reading about 300+ Kms of range and...don't know how that's even possible (hi LeFraussie ! ), longest i've done on my 796 is about 250Km on 1 tank (13.5lt tank) and that would be while riding within legal limits (130Km/h max with some 170km/h quick bursts).Basically, whenever i'm travelling, i make sure to refill at around the 200Km mark on my odometer as to not have any "surprises" regarding fuel.
Longest i've been on my bike was about 11 hours and 800+spare change Km's (passed by 2 countries) and i came out just fine, no problems whatsoever, Monaroman68 gives some pretty good advice in his post, some on-the-spot jogging after/before reaching a fuel station, a break to take a leak/drink some fluids/have a cig help, but, they do add up to to the total travel time obviously (like Ugly Bastard mentioned).

I still remember my last trip to the Balkans...full leather gear, 38-39 degrees Celsius with the friggin' 40lt bag on my back... i was s-w-e-a-t-i-n-g like a mofo, must have gobbled about 2+lt of fluids on that stop, hey, at least i gave a good show to the tourists getting off that bus in their t-shirts and flip-flops, they must have freaked out and most probably turned off any potential riders from that group from riding , i mean, why travel by bike and get sweaty like a pig, getting dehydrated etc etc when you just can travel by car/bus/plane ? Well, part of the fun i guess...

I'm actually curious to see how the 1200S will behave as the riding position is more upright, although, it is more comfy in general compared to the 796, plus, the longer wheelbase will be better on high speeds on those long straights.Fuel consumption is going to be a drag though as the 1200 just loves to drink-up the good ol' gasoline, it's a 1200 motor though so that's to be expected.

I'm planning a trip to Croatia for next Summer so i'll just have to wait and see i suppose...

Cheerio
Monaroman68 likes this.

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 12-28-2016 at 05:37 AM.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
I have the M1100 and the thing I hate most is the short range. I can only get about 100-110 highway miles before I have to start looking for gas. So if I want to do a 600 mile day, that's 5 stops, each taking me 10-15 minutes, adding up to an hour or more of commute time.
Thank you so much for that! I took several trips on my M796 this summer that were more than 600 miles in a single day. When I was first considering buying a monster, I really wanted an 1100, but the extra inch of seat height (I'm super short) and low fuel economy were my main reasons not to. You just confirmed the fuel economy on the 1100 is as big an issue as I thought. On my 796 the fuel light goes on at 125miles, and on a road trip where I'm cruising at a sane speed the fuel economy is almost 50mpg which means I can "push it" to about 170... my hard reserve is to stop as close to 150 as possible, I have a small half gallon metal tank with me in case I miscalculate. I also now carry a spare charged li-ion battery in case something goes awry.

Now I am just going to repeat the things everyone said already: plan it out. Bring emergency supplies (water, tools, battery, tire patch kit, any small spare parts). I highly recommend buying trip insurance (usually costs me $35 for a 1200 mile 4 day round trip), you can even get a free tow package with some of them. If some driver hits you on the road (or you mess up yourself) the medical coverage on the trip insurance will cover the gap so you don't have to pay out of pocket until the insurance companies stop arguing with each other, plus if you get hit, your trip gets refunded, and when you get out of the hospital they'll pay your airfare home.
Monaroman68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode