Stolen code card and spare key!? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Stolen code card and spare key!?

Well, today I came home to a house that was ripped apart while I was at work. My 696 was in the garage the whole time. I first noticed that most of my electronics were missing. This is really all that I could see when the police arrived. However, I just thought to look at my ducati file (where I keep all of documentation, etc for my 696) and was shocked to see that the code card and spare key is gone!

So, tomorrow I plan to start looking at options for getting these things replaced...and hopefully prevent the douche who stole my key from coming back and stealing my bike. Is there any reasonable way of going about this? My local dealer knows me well and I have proof of ownership (the bike is not stolen, but the code card is). Any advice will be appreciated.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 AM

So, tomorrow I plan to start looking at options for getting these things replaced...and hopefully prevent the douche who stole my key from coming back and stealing my bike. Is there any reasonable way of going about this? My local dealer knows me well and I have proof of ownership (the bike is not stolen, but the code card is). Any advice will be appreciated.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:06 AM

You can get another black key made, but THERE IS NO WAY TO REPLACE the key code card or red key. I called Ducati North America and the original dealership that sold my bike from new. There is a slim chance the dealer kept a record of your key card code #'s but I doubt it. The alternative is replacing all the electronics for the bike. I know you don't want to hear it but thats it. Please let me know if you are told otherwise.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Not too sound too much the villain, but I would suggest placing u-locks through both wheels and chaining the frame to a work bench or other solid object. Then, if you don't own a shotgun, go get one, and wait for the dumb-a$$ to come back for the bike.

2005 S2R800; Acid Giallo. Hang up and DRIVE!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I moved my bike to a friends house until I can get a new ignition switch and key set (This is the procedure according to my dealer). I understand that this was much more difficult and expensive with the older ducati's (with red keys), but is relatively inexpensive on the newer bikes like mine. I have several guns, but they do me no good while I'm at work. I'd love to catch the a$$holes. Unfortunately their smart enough to come while I'm at work (something that these free-loading douchebags aren't familiar with). I have ADT wiring my house today. So that should help prevent this from happening again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM

I've thought about Lojack for the same reason. Can't always be here.

Something to consider might be one of those motion sensitive hotel room alarms you can buy for traveling. Once you're keeping it back in your garage, put the thing on the bike when you park it. If the douche bag took the time to steal your keys, he's probably coming back. But he's probably not expecting an alarm to go off when he touches it, and that might be all it takes. For that matter, put the alarm on the inside of the door if you can, and get the loudest one you can get.

2005 S2R800; Acid Giallo. Hang up and DRIVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode