American Motorcyclist Association - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
American Motorcyclist Association

The AMA protects your right to ride. We fight bike bans, land closures, health-care discrimination against motorcyclists, and more. Plus, the AMA is committed to providing the best benefits possible for its members to save them time and money. We are also dedicated to amateur racing, providing amateur competitors and their families, friends and fans with exciting andenjoyable racing events that create lifelong memories. We also publish American Motorcyclist magazine, which focuses on the accomplishments of our members in all forms of riding, whether it's racing, cross-country touring or trail riding. The AMA is dedicated to all these things, and more. After all, we love to ride.

www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM

So does the AMA still lobby for ending helmet laws? If so, that tells you something doesn't it.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 PM

There is no other Organization out there looking to protect your rights. agree or disagree we should support it.

The rulechanges in AMA road racing are a little scary, but the fans I think are getting a better show.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Not only do they fight for our rights to ride, but they also have great deals for being members from hotel discounts, excellent road side assistance, to discounts at store. I recommend the AMA to everyone.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmpee143 View Post
The AMA protects your right to ride? tahaha.. parang di naman..
Um, yes they do. Indeed, since they sold the racing arm to DMG, that's the main thing they do.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Mig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzon View Post
So does the AMA still lobby for ending helmet laws? If so, that tells you something doesn't it.
Quote from the AMA website:

"The AMA believes riders should wear all the safety gear all the time. But the AMA also believes riders -- rather than government -- should make the decision."

Never understood why people are so quick to judge and form/offer opinions while unaware of all the facts...

I do think that for a "free" country, there are way too many unnecessary restrictions aimed at select groups of taxpayers (i.e. Motorcyclists).

I support the AMA... my choice.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmpee143 View Post
how do you prove it to me?
Take a look at what they do. Their primary activity is to lobby against laws that restrict motorcycling, and motorcyclists, on-road and off-road. What makes you think they aren't doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzon View Post
Yes, it does. It tells me that they are in favor of freedom for motorcyclists. I wear a helmet every time, and strongly recommend that everyone else do so as well. I did so before there was a helmet law here in CA. I did so last year when I was in Ohio which does not have a helmet law. I believe in helmets. But I have no right to *force* someone else to, to point a gun at his head and say "wear it, or else". And neither do you, and neither does the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig View Post
Quote from the AMA website:

"The AMA believes riders should wear all the safety gear all the time. But the AMA also believes riders -- rather than government -- should make the decision."

Never understood why people are so quick to judge and form/offer opinions while unaware of all the facts...

I do think that for a "free" country, there are way too many unnecessary restrictions aimed at select groups of taxpayers (i.e. Motorcyclists).

I support the AMA... my choice.
+1. Exactly.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)

Last edited by philb; 06-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
Yes, it does. It tells me that they are in favor of freedom for motorcyclists. I wear a helmet every time, and strongly recommend that everyone else do so as well. I did so before there was a helmet law here in CA. I did so last year when I was in Ohio which does not have a helmet law. I believe in helmets. But I have no right to *force* someone else to, to point a gun at his head and say "wear it, or else". And neither do you, and neither does the government.
Word to That. I really feel uncomfortable riding the motorcycle without a helmet but I'm sure there are occasions where I'd really love to go without it.

I also think scooter sales would go up if you didn't need helmet's on them. I mean serriously, I hate them with a passion but if you could just hop on with your shorts, sandals and t-shirt it might be pretty fun to rip around mexico style.

Oh and since I'm a Canadian I can't even ride a bicycle without a helmet. Wish someone would reverse that law

Last edited by tlinkletter; 06-14-2011 at 07:49 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 PM

I don't think helmet laws are as cut and dried as simple freedom of choice.

I personally would like to be "free" from potentially having my tax dollars pay for the emergency, rehab, and ongoing care for an individual who chooses to ride without protective gear...

No, protective gear will not prevent all injuries. But the evidence gathered over decades makes it pretty clear you should have it on every time you ride -- especially if your idea of freedom, like mine, includes not voluntarily putting myself in a position where I might have to hang off this country's social safety net.

On the other hand, if you're insured to the hilt -- well then I'll look forward to seeing your smiling, helmet-free face out on the road!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Brackstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpgsc View Post
I don't think helmet laws are as cut and dried as simple freedom of choice.

I personally would like to be "free" from potentially having my tax dollars pay for the emergency, rehab, and ongoing care for an individual who chooses to ride without protective gear...

No, protective gear will not prevent all injuries. But the evidence gathered over decades makes it pretty clear you should have it on every time you ride -- especially if your idea of freedom, like mine, includes not voluntarily putting myself in a position where I might have to hang off this country's social safety net.

On the other hand, if you're insured to the hilt -- well then I'll look forward to seeing your smiling, helmet-free face out on the road!
It's funny you said that I said the same exact thing to everyone. I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't hurt me or cost me anything.

Ducati Monster 1100 (Black)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (Sold)
Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode