Ducati would consider a merger with Harley-Davidson? Really? - Page 27 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #261 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Re: Ducati would consider a merger with Harley-Davidson? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
In one of the motorcycle magazines, someone asked the tech guy about Buell's zero torsional load brakes and why more manufacturers didn't use them. I believe it came down to that while one disk on a Buell maybe lighter, two would be heavier than than a regular two disk setup.
very interesting, so it would support my comment about it being partly a weight saving scheme...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsduc

i can't see a steel crankcase engine being the same weight as an aluminum one.
Huh

That basic engine has been all-alloy (externally) since the mid-1980s. It isn't all that hefty. And they are dirt cheap to tweak due to the huge aftermarket.

I rode an XB12 a while back and thought it was great (oh baby, that torque). Handled as good or better than my M900. My only gripes were no 6th gear and limited (sub-7000 RPM) powerband. The last gripe is readily handled by the aforementioned aftermarket.
post #263 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbag
Huh

That basic engine has been all-alloy (externally) since the mid-1980s. It isn't all that hefty. And they are dirt cheap to tweak due to the huge aftermarket.

I rode an XB12 a while back and thought it was great (oh baby, that torque). Handled as good or better than my M900. My only gripes were no 6th gear and limited (sub-7000 RPM) powerband. The last gripe is readily handled by the aforementioned aftermarket.
well, there you go. the last HD I worked on was a '62 FL..

but i think if you put the HD components on a scale vs the Ducati components, you'd see a lot of weight shaving done by HD in the brakes and exhaust. it is a heavier bike, part for part. they just did a lot of work to get it in the same ball park. using a single front caliper saved them about 2 lbs, single rotor another few lbs, and so on.
post #264 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:12 PM

Interesting comments from the group on this....I own both brands, but I've been riding for 37 years and I'm not a yuppie. I think Ducati could learn a lot about how to properly sell after market stuff for there bikes from Harley. The fact that it is so damn hard to get the accessories I want for my Duc makes me scream some times. If it is between a merger or Ducati going out of biz, I say merger is good.
post #265 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindingo
It does make sense, Harley is loaded, Ducati is small time... BUT this will only make our bikes EVEN MORE trendy then they already are. Think of all the ducati t-shirts and headbands to be sold. I bet this pisses off Harley owners more than it would piss off Duc owners
Not this Harley owner.
post #266 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperbill
Interesting comments from the group on this....I own both brands, but I've been riding for 37 years and I'm not a yuppie. I think Ducati could learn a lot about how to properly sell after market stuff for there bikes from Harley. The fact that it is so damn hard to get the accessories I want for my Duc makes me scream some times. If it is between a merger or Ducati going out of biz, I say merger is good.
from the harley ppl i've talked to, most think it would be pretty cool.

both crowds have their "mystique", almost unlike any other bike brand. (hondas and yammy's don't have this kind of following.... user groups and clubs, but no hero worship.. who's been to the honda motorcycle factory? big whoop...)

the only thing both groups want is for their bike to stay the basic way it is .. Ducati's should be Italian made in Bologna (by union labor) and Harleys should be American made in Wisconsin (by union labor)..

post #267 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsduc
Ummm.. that's what we call "incorrect" around here:

Buell sold 3800 bikes WORLDWIDE in 2006, according to their stock report:
Page 9 from the Harley Davidson annual report: http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...4465&Type=HTML

Ducati sold over 8000 bikes in 2006, just in North America (about 4/5th of that in the USA alone), approximately 38,000 world wide.
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27911
I'll stand by my contention that "Buell does sell almost the exact same number of bikes in the U.S. each year as Ducati does." If you'll look at Harley-Davidson's 2006 annual report[1], you'll see that Buell shipped 12,460 units in 2006, of which 10,858 were over 651cc. Buell doesn't have its sales broken out by U.S. versus international units, but if you apply the same percentage as that of Harley-Davidson for 2006 (apx 78% sold in the U.S. and 22% sold in other markets) you'd find that Buell sold about 9,700 total units in the U.S., and even if you further eliminate the 500cc single cylinder Blast from those sales figures, you'd get 8,495 Buells with v-twin motors sold in the U.S.

Pretty damn close to the 8,200 Ducatis sold in North America in 2006.

[1] http://investor.harley-davidson.com/...shipments.cfm?
post #268 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Ducker
I'll stand by my contention that "Buell does sell almost the exact same number of bikes in the U.S. each year as Ducati does." If you'll look at Harley-Davidson's 2006 annual report[1], you'll see that Buell shipped 12,460 units in 2006, of which 10,858 were over 651cc. Buell doesn't have its sales broken out by U.S. versus international units, but if you apply the same percentage as that of Harley-Davidson for 2006 (apx 78% sold in the U.S. and 22% sold in other markets) you'd find that Buell sold about 9,700 total units in the U.S., and even if you further eliminate the 500cc single cylinder Blast from those sales figures, you'd get 8,495 Buells with v-twin motors sold in the U.S.

Pretty damn close to the 8,200 Ducatis sold in North America in 2006.

[1] http://investor.harley-davidson.com/...shipments.cfm?
I am sorry, but you are misreading the information. Harley/Buell DOES break it down into regions in the publicly-filed SEC form 10-K documents below[1]. The link you posted is not Harley's annual report, it is a company-wide summary. The 10-K that I posted, which is filed with the SEC is the official annual report and has the sales breakdown by region.

Also, this thread has been about bikes that Buell makes that compete with Ducatis. The Blast does not compete with anything Ducati makes. It appeals to a totally different market. None of Ducatis bikes are <651 cc now or single cylinder.

on page 9: of the actual annual report:
[1] http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US..._2006_10-K.pdf

Chart name: U.S. Heavyweight Motorcycle Registration Data

Buell shipped 3,800 units in the USA in 2006.

On page 10
Chart name: European Heavyweight Motorcycle Registration Data

Buell shipped 4,100 units in all of Europe in 2006.

Buell shipped less than half the number of competing bikes compared to Ducati in the USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buell_usa_2006.jpg (182.6 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb buell_usa_2006.jpg_thumb (82.5 KB, 1 views)
post #269 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Re: Harley-Davidson and Ducati???? WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChongMonster

The Ducati and Harley cultures are pure opposites.
Having had a harley and been part of that culture in the past, personally I can attest that the cultures are almost IDENTICAL. Oh there are a few minor things that are a little different, but those things are pretty much interchangable. About the only thing I don't see the Ducati riders do is have poker runs.

I bought my M800 cause it looked like it would be a blast to ride, just like my old sportster was (and so far this has proven to be true), and it's highly customizable. I'm already planning a bunch of mods to the bike to make it more like I want it (like getting rid of the udder, better seat, tail chop, hugger, etc). I think Ducati's are very much like Harley's and in many ways so are the riders (And both groups have had a large influx of yuppies! )

I don't buy my bikes because of what I think other people will think or will like. I buy them because -I- ride them! I am a motorcycle enthusiast, and if I was rich, I'd have more motorcycles than Jay Leno! Whether or not Ducati and Harley do any sort of a deal remains to be seen, but I don't think it would hurt either company, and hopefully it would increase the accessories market.
post #270 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Re: Harley-Davidson and Ducati???? WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner
Whether or not Ducati and Harley do any sort of a deal remains to be seen, but I don't think it would hurt either company, and hopefully it would increase the accessories market.
Okay, I can see chrome on the Monsters and maybe even fringed leathers. But I'm not sure about carbon fiber on a Road King.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode