Ducati would consider a merger with Harley-Davidson? Really? - Page 26 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #251 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Re: Ducati would consider a merger with Harley-Davidson? Really?

I don't know but they should have done something like that a long time ago. I always thought they were cool bikes with the wrong motor in them.

Follow the white rabbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglenook
I don't know but they should have done something like that a long time ago. I always thought they were cool bikes with the wrong motor in them.
I felt the same way. THat is what kept me from buying one. The HD powerplant is fine for a cruiser, but in a sport bike, it is just too damn heavy.

Rotax
post #253 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsduc
I felt the same way. THat is what kept me from buying one. The HD powerplant is fine for a cruiser, but in a sport bike, it is just too damn heavy.
Last I checked the 1200 Buells were within a few pounds of a Monster.

I'd love to have an XB12Ss.
post #254 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Yea but it sounds like... Like... a Harley or something... It's just all wrong in a sports bike.

Follow the white rabbit
post #255 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbag
Last I checked the 1200 Buells were within a few pounds of a Monster.

I'd love to have an XB12Ss.
yeah, i guess you're right for total weight. but i wonder what the engine-out-of-frame comparison is?

i can't see a steel crankcase engine being the same weight as an aluminum one.

the buells only have one front rotor/caliper, for instance.. that's 5-7 lbs right there. also, buells are belt driven vs chain and the buell exhaust is shorter and smaller since it's underneath. it is more comparable to the S2R's udder by itself without the mufflers.

i think if you put belt drive and single rotor on a ducati and remove the cans (s2R) you've dropped 15 lbs.
post #256 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
i think if you put belt drive and single rotor on a ducati and remove the cans (s2R) you've dropped 15 lbs.

And yet no one else follows this path. Out of all the racing and street experience between European and Japanese manufacturers, they must deem this unreliable or some other factor. The upfront specs listed, such as lighter, less reciprocating mass would only benefit any manufacturer. There is something missing or everyone else would have jumped on the bandwagon. OR maybe Buell uses it as a marketing ploy, and that all its good for.
post #257 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman

And yet no one else follows this path. Out of all the racing and street experience between European and Japanese manufacturers, they must deem this unreliable or some other factor. The upfront specs listed, such as lighter, less reciprocating mass would only benefit any manufacturer. There is something missing or everyone else would have jumped on the bandwagon. OR maybe Buell uses it as a marketing ploy, and that all its good for.
that's not my point, i was just talking about the weight difference. Maybe the real reason Buell does it is to keep their bike sub-400lbs.

If they used regular rotors, chain and exhaust their bike would be 415-425 DRY.
post #258 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman

the weight is moved further to the outiside of the wheel where it has more effect than if it was central to the axle.

[size=10pt]-- derby[/size]<br />[size=7pt]<br />&#039;05 Duc Monster S4R &lt;~~ FOR SALE (click for info)<br /><br />&#039;07 Suz GSX-R750<br />Retired rides: &#039;99 Yam YZF-R1, &#039;98 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;97 Suz GSX-R750, &#039;96 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;94 Hon CBR600F2, &#039;91 Hon Hawk GT, &#039;91 Yam YSR-50, &#039;87 Yam YSR-50<br /><br />click here for info about my avatar<br />[/size]
post #259 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derby
the weight is moved further to the outiside of the wheel where it has more effect than if it was central to the axle.

yep, but ...

1 carrier-less rotor vs 2 standard rotors

i would bet the inertia forces are minor except at very high speed.

post #260 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM

In one of the motorcycle magazines, someone asked the tech guy about Buell's zero torsional load brakes and why more manufacturers didn't use them. I believe it came down to that while one disk on a Buell maybe lighter, two would be heavier than than a regular two disk setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode