Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas? - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 AM

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,897
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
So ship it to me first...
hiero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 226
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
So ship it to me first...
hah this may be crazy enough to work...what do you think antonio? I can Fedex to Chris for about $66 and Chris can work his magic shipping mojo. If chris is willing that is
whited3 is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Senior Member

 
chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,674
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited3
hah this may be crazy enough to work...what do you think antonio? I can Fedex to Chris for about $66 and Chris can work his magic shipping mojo. If chris is willing that is
If you can get me weight and dimensions, I can call bax and get a quote. Please make double sure your box will not leak. Last time I got someone's engine, oil was pouring out the bottom. If it goes on an airplane, that's a bad thing.

So, what kind of box are you putting this 100# in? Making a wood floored crate? Or put a big milk crate inside a box? I just see a 100# box receiving a lot of abuse.

Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
chris is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 226
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
If you can get me weight and dimensions, I can call bax and get a quote. Please make double sure your box will not leak. Last time I got someone's engine, oil was pouring out the bottom. If it goes on an airplane, that's a bad thing.

So, what kind of box are you putting this 100# in? Making a wood floored crate? Or put a big milk crate inside a box? I just see a 100# box receiving a lot of abuse.
Perhaps something along the lines of a milk crate inside a box. Although I will need to use something a little larger than a milk crate in order for it to fit. It's the entire engine sans heads, cylinders, piston heads, and all the oil I could drain, but the bolts or studs holding the heads on kind of take a bunch of room up. As a start the bare engine weighs in at 95 lbs on a cheapo bathroom scale. I added 5 lbs for packaging, and I've convinced myself that I will be able to fit it in a 24 x 18 x 18 inch container. Now that I think about it it may be a little over 100 lbs after all the packaging especially if I start to use a bunch of wood. In any case, those were my estimates for my quotes; 100# and 24" x 18" x 18". Tack on 5# to be safe.

p.s. Then again if it's too much much trouble you might as well wait until I actually get it packaged.
whited3 is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,007
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

ca-cycleworks to the rescue again eh chris. top work
p.s got my parcel no problems,
cheers and merry xmas.
paul.
s4grrr is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Member

 
chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,674
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

BAX wants $118.20 to ship to the airport in Singapore. I didn't know the address, so couldn't quote door-to-door delivery. Oh, the quote was for 105# 24x18x18 box insured and declared at value US$400.


Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
chris is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 314
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

How far away overseas were you thinking of shipping? It kinda matters --- Because I was thinking of shooting it out of a cannon. It's very impressive that way. Just fyi.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a Ducati.
okemos is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 226
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
BAX wants $118.20 to ship to the airport in Singapore. I didn't know the address, so couldn't quote door-to-door delivery. Oh, the quote was for 105# 24x18x18 box insured and declared at value US$400.

Holy crap thats nice Chris. I've been gathering materials and thoughts on how to pack the engine and I came up with wrapping the whole thing in plastic wrap similar to how palletized goods are wrapped and then encasing the engine in expanding foam...perhaps sectioned off into plastic bag compartments so that the engine won't have to be chiseled out. Anyways, the weight should be spot on, the only difference is right now I only have a 27x20.5x18 box which is slightly larger than quoted. Pending the ok from Antonio and payment I think we are good to go.

okemos. if you have a canon that can do that I think we aught to try it just out of principle
whited3 is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 PM

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33
Re: Anyone know the best way to ship 100 lbs overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited3
Holy crap thats nice Chris. I've been gathering materials and thoughts on how to pack the engine and I came up with wrapping the whole thing in plastic wrap similar to how palletized goods are wrapped and then encasing the engine in expanding foam...perhaps sectioned off into plastic bag compartments so that the engine won't have to be chiseled out. Anyways, the weight should be spot on, the only difference is right now I only have a 27x20.5x18 box which is slightly larger than quoted. Pending the ok from Antonio and payment I think we are good to go.

okemos. if you have a canon that can do that I think we aught to try it just out of principle
im fine with the offer from chris .... i will discuss the details with u. already email you
antonioshabirto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome