Who makes a better rider, a Street Rider or a Track Rider? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Who makes a better rider, a Street Rider or a Track Rider?

Who is the better rider, a Track Rider or a Street Rider?

There is an evolutionary theory on Predatorís vs. Prey. In order for a species to survive in its environment it must evolve adaptive strategies to prevent it from becoming a meal to another species. If the prey loses a race its dinner, if a predator loses a race itís only hungry. So there is a stronger selective pressure on a prey species to develop adaptive strategies to survive than a predator species.

If you use this theory to compare Track Riders with Street Riders the answer is obvious. The better rider is the Street Rider because he is the prey item. If a Street Rider makes a mistake there is a significantly higher probability that he will be seriously hurt or killed than if a Track Rider makes a mistake. If a Track Rider makes a mistake he loses a position or a few seconds on a lap. A bad mistake may put him in the run off area or sliding down the track on his well protected face. But the likelihood of him dying is significantly less than a Street Rider.

Therefore Track Days are awesome they will definitely improve your riding skill, no debate there. However, in the real world where there are cars, trucks, pot holes, road debri, gravel, curbs, etc, etc, an experience Street Rider is the prey that must survive to ride another day. The experienced Track Rider is the predator that goes home hungry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:47 PM

Re: Who makes a better rider, a Street Rider or a Track Rider?

Street riding makes a better street rider and track riding makes a better track rider.

1998 Toyota 4Runner
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:51 PM

I would have to agree and say its the street rider, but that may be just because I ride more street than track
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
gm2

Send a message via AIM to gm2

it is probably a safe assumption that most track riders either are or started out as primarily street (or dirt) riders. they are certainly some different skill sets, but with a great deal more in common with eachother than not. you'll never learn to be an effective street rider (i.e. vs. auto traffic) on the track, but you'll never learn better overall control of your bike than on a track.

as far as "better", if you are only one or the other then.. you've just obviated the question.

[s]'05 S4R[/s], '07 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory, [s]'04 gsxr 750[/s], '07 R6
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Interesting comparison...

I suppose it comes down to how you define "better". *The street rider in your scenario would be 'better' at accident avoidance, scanning ahead, using turnsignals, etc... due to the extreme penalties afforded those who mess up. *The track rider would be 'better' at maintaining high speeds, corner exits, so on and so forth... because that's what their motivation pushes them to do.

I ride mostly on the street. *So I practice street riding (by default). *Track riding is certainly a great way to become a better rider (on both track AND street), however.

&quot;When the Ducati turned up in my driveway, nobody knew what to do with it.&quot;<br /><br />-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005. - &quot;The Song of the Sausage Creature&quot;
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

The perfect example is the Isle of Man Road Race. How would Troy Bayliss or even Valentino Rossi compete in this type of race? Would their domination on the Race Tracks translate to domination on a Road Race course?
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:01 PM

I would say that dirt bike riding will help you more than just about anything. The skills I developed while riding/racing dirt bikes have saved my butt more than once when riding on the street.

I also think that riding on the track will make you a faster rider when you are ripping up the turns on the road.

Swanny

Full Arrow Ti Exhaust, Opened Air Box w/ K&amp;N Filter, Cycle Cat Frame Sliders, Tail Chop, Monstrack Mirrors, <br />Cycle Car Rear Sets, DP Gel Seat, DP Brake Upgrade Kit.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex-mex
The perfect example is the Isle of Man Road Race. How would Troy Bayliss or even Valentino Rossi compete in this type of race? Would their domination on the Race Tracks translate to domination on a Road Race course?
how do you figure? Theres major difference of the TT vs GP is the road conditions and lack of run off versus a prepared and groomed track. It's not like there's traffic to navigate...
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:49 PM

I have seen many street riders are not able to ride on tracks. But most track riders can ride on streets.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to tsd345

It's the difference between skeet shooting and hunting......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode