need help w/ 750.>>>>> I NEED YOU DML!!!!!<<<<<< - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

need help w/ 750.>>>>> I NEED YOU DML!!!!!<<<<<<

thinking of getting a 1997 silver 750 i found for a great deal. just wondering if there is anything that i should worry or look out for being that it is the first year that the 750 came out. i am going to look at it some time tomarow. any help would be great.

thanks,
RICH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Re: need help w/ 750

it has just under 11000 miles
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Mine is rock solid. I think it was the first year in the U.S. but actually the second year of the 750 model (it had been in Europe for a year before). Plus it was the last year with the cooler old style logo and is a rare color.
Go for it!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Site Sponsors

97 is a good year.
there are a couple parts different than the 98-up
(clutch slave, a couple engine case parts, no biggie)

my wife bought hers new, has about 20k on it and it has been perfectly reliable (except for the stuff I screwed up on it :P)
the starter relay is the only part that needed replaced other than maintenance items, and it was like $30.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Re: need help w/ 750.>>>>> I NEED YOU DML!!!!!<<<<<<

update,

went to see the bike today.

Things that need to be replaced:
needs new tires, new clutch lever, new battery, abt how much is that going to cost?

Things that I donít know:
the guy got the bike with 5000m and never knew to get the 6000m check up, but says it runs fine, and to me (someone who doesnít know much) it sounds fine. Also, when you lift the tank, there is a rust spot abt the size of a 50 cent piece right where the battery connects on the left side, how that got there I donít know. Another thing is that the bike sits outside year round w/o a cover, what kind of bad things could happen from that?

He is asking $2400, how much would i have to invest, and should i get it?

Any help would be real cool.

Thanks,
RICH
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM

That seems like a fair price, but you should know that it will cost you more than that. Missing the 6000 mile service is a big thing, since that is a time when a lot of stuff is supposed to be checked/replaced (including the dreaded valve service). Basically the previous owner just skipped $600 of services. Furthermore, the valves are due AGAIN at 12k (every 6k), so not only is it bad that he skipped it, but its bad that this bike would have needed it done again really soon anyway.

Assuming the engine actually is working fine now (which it may not be, since he skipped the maintenance), you are still going to have to spend $600-800 on some mechanic work at the 12k mile mark.

IMO the best time to buy bikes is at 7, or 13 thousand miles, so you know you don't have to get service for a long time.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded). After so much work, why is it that I still can&#039;t help but consider buying other bikes?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to needtorque Send a message via Yahoo to needtorque

$2400 does not sound too bad. That depends on how serious the rust looks to you and if it needs repaired. You will probably need a valve adjustment and new belts also.

That that is is.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

will him riding on it without doing the 6000m service hurt the bike bad, leading to other $$$$ problems, or is more of just a tune up thing? if i get the service done, will all be well?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to needtorque Send a message via Yahoo to needtorque

Depends on many factors but if it starts quickly and sounds pretty good it will probably be all right as long as you catch it up immediately.

That that is is.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejemerate
will him riding on it without doing the 6000m service hurt the bike bad, leading to other $$$$ problems, or is more of just a tune up thing? if i get the service done, will all be well?
it really depends on how well the valves were adjusted when the bike was built and how much "out of spec" the've drifted since.

basically, you won't know until the 12k service is done.

[size=10pt]-- derby[/size]<br />[size=7pt]<br />&#039;05 Duc Monster S4R &lt;~~ FOR SALE (click for info)<br /><br />&#039;07 Suz GSX-R750<br />Retired rides: &#039;99 Yam YZF-R1, &#039;98 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;97 Suz GSX-R750, &#039;96 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;94 Hon CBR600F2, &#039;91 Hon Hawk GT, &#039;91 Yam YSR-50, &#039;87 Yam YSR-50<br /><br />click here for info about my avatar<br />[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode