clutch going? Also - multiple nuetral positions?? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

clutch going? Also - multiple nuetral positions??

I've been shifting without the clutch alot of the time. I've been noticing every time I roll my bike out in the morning, it seems harder and harder to roll when I put the clutch in. I've read that a little bit of engine braking can be felt sometimes when the clutch is engaged - but my bike definitely feels different while the clutch is in compared to being in neutral. Nuetral is notably more free.

Also - the bike goes into a "neutral" position sometimes when shifting between 2nd and 3rd, or maybe 3rd and 4th, or maybe both. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 AM

Re: clutch going? Also - multiple nuetral positions??

Wet clutches will have more drag on them than a dry clutch. As the clutch wears in a bit, it could get a little more noticable. Rolling the the bike with the clutch in has nothing to do with enginer braking so I'm not sure where that comment is headed....

For the extra friction, just ignore it, it's normal. Roll it in neutral and start it in neutral and you'll be kewl...

Getting false neutrals is not a normal daily occurence but it happens. You need to make more positive shifts to help avoid it. I usually get them between 4-5 if and when I get them....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 PM

I switched to GP shifting and that ended 95% of my false neutrals.* I think I only got 1 more since switching to GP, and that was due to.... *drum roll** soft shifting.

Its also fun to see other people try and manage your bike with GP shifting.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

whats GP shifting?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM

Piller, the drag you're referring to is a wet clutch phenomenon. When you park your bike hot oil gets stuck between the clutch plates then gets 'sticky' after it cools. My old Ninja 250 used to do it all the time. Usually starting the bike in neutral and working the clutch a few times or just waiting for it to warm up will unstick it. The Ninja would jump pretty hard the first time it was put into gear after starting.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I just changed the bike to GP shifting after reading many posts, and reviews after doing it. It seems anyone that's done it really loves it. I'll know when I ride the bike home after work.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:50 PM

well?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 PM

GP shifting is first gear up, the rest down.....is it possible to do this with the stock rearsets?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's possible, very easy and quick, and a TREMENDOUS improvement! I created another thread where I talk more about it.

I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want to do this!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piller
Yeah, it's possible, very easy and quick, and a TREMENDOUS improvement!* I created another thread where I talk more about it.

I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want to do this!
It makes it harder to "panic" stop and downshift on the street. Also it increses the chance of trying to exit a turn too fast on the street and spining the rear out. Most can handle this but not all. I have thought of it, still dont know if I want to. I may get too agressive for my own good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode