Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

How to program new key? - SOLVED

21K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Prenet 
G
#1 ·
Hello,

I lost one of the black keys for my '04 m620, so I got a new key at the dealer.
The package says that it has the transponder, and it looks jut like my other black key.

I can't figure out how to program the new key though. I searched the forum, and found an article which suggests to put the red key in, turn the bike on, then the display asks for "key 1". Put black key in, turn on/off etc....

This does not work with my biko though. When I put the red key in, I don't get a message on the display, the bike just turns on (the immobilizer light blinks 3 time, it doesn't blink w/ the good black key).

Anyways, I put all 3 keys in, turn ignition on/off, then the red key again, but nothing happens.

Could anyone help, please?

Thanks,

G
#2 ·
Re: How to program new key?

Ok, I tried again today and I got the new key working.

The problem was that I waited for the gauges to sweep back and forth with each key. I think this way I used up more than the allowed time to finish the procedure.

What finally worked was turning the bike on with each key for just a second. I had to do the red key at the end also.

Thanks,

#4 ·
Programming black keys from red ducati monster

Have been running my Monster 1000 ie 2004 on a red key for nearly a year - bought the bike with 2 un programmed blacks (which had been cut to fit a new lock but not programmed). So I just found out I should really only be using the blacks from my Duc dealer!

Just spent hours reading loads of posts on re programming the blacks from the reds and with no luck after many goes - however, this is what worked for me through trial and error and using info from the posts!

1. Insert red key and WAIT 30 seconds
2. Turn red on and off very quickly
3. Insert the first black and turn on and off quickly
4. Insert the second black (if you have one) and turn on and off quickly
5. Insert the red and turn on and off quickly then remove the red

6. Re-insert one of the black keys and it should start

The secret to this for me was waiting 30 seconds at stage 1 before going through the procedure. Once you get started move swiftly through the process. The digi clock indicates some kind of count down - but on mine you could not really see the count down as you are switching luminated clocks on and off - so just get on with it once started. Worked for my Monster anyway and has saved me £40 - which is what I was quoted to clone each key from the red in the UK!

#5 ·
Flawless programming instructions!

The local dealer asked me to bring my 2002 Ducati Monster 620i.e. Dark in so they can hook it up to their computer and program the keys for me. Would have cost around $30.

These directions worked great!

#6 ·
key seq from workshop manual

So I just finally got my new dash and keys programmed on my 2005 monster 620

The sequence for mating your keys to you new dash described by the workshop manual is slightly different from the post above.

1) wait 30 sec with no key inserted
2) insert red key, turn ignition on, back off again before counter reaches zero (<3s) remove key
3) within 15s insert the first black key, turn on and back off before counter reaches zero (<3s) remove key
4) repeat step 3 for each key you have, including and ending with the red key.
5) re-insert the red key (you removed it) and turn the ignition on, leave it on for between 5 and 15 seconds. turn the ignition off, remove the key
6) to test that you've programmed the keys, immobilizer, dash, ecu correctly, insert one of the keys and turn it on. you should see "On" displayed on your LED display (not "Off" like it used to say). You should now be able to start the bike!

#11 ·
Can any one tell me how to refresh my 2010 ducati M696 emo system. Its not recognizing my one and only good key which i’am using until yesterday. I have tried to program a new key using youtube videos but now my emo system is stucked in programming the key and it doesn’t recognize my good key. Now I am using my bike with overriding the emo system at every ride, pathetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.