Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Gear (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/gear/)
-   -   Textile Pants (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/gear/91881-textile-pants.html)

gunnyosu 07-08-2003 04:26 AM

Textile Pants

I am looking into getting a set of textile pants to replace the normal jeans I wear when riding. I am curious what brand/models you all have bought and which you'd recommend. I'm looking for something that has armor already in it and looks somewhat cool & casual. Ideas? Thanks for the help.

DaffeDuc 07-08-2003 05:31 AM

Re: Textile Pants

Skier 07-08-2003 06:10 AM

I am looking at Spidi pants, 100% waterproof with detachable lining.
CE protection in knees and hips.

Only problem is size. I tried both L and XL.
L is ok , a bit tight.
XL is loose, comfy, maybe with the lining deattaced too loose.
These pants have extra long legs also, which I like.

Also Clover has some good pants.

BUT; I might end up with leathers, Arlen Ness has coretex leathers ...

I am not sure what I do, I would like to have one pants for all and that is impossible, so now I look for waterproof comfortable pants for touring.

Those spidis might be too hot otherwise, unless use the L size without lining during the summer.

Sure this did not help any but I could try to help myself to decide, but did not succeed in that either ....

I do not want to ride in a one mile tunnel on a sunshine entrance and pouring rain exit .... catch my drift ?

CRASH! 07-08-2003 06:50 AM

Skier makes a good point about textile pants when it's warm.

I have Alpinestars cordura pants with removable liner. I wear them when it's cold (they're great for that) and on my commute all year. When it's hot, I wear shorts under and change to long pants when I get to work. Still, they can be really uncomfortable in the heat and I wouldn't want to wear them on an all day fun ride. Unless you get into the new mesh pants, the same can probably be said for all textile pants.

For sport riding I wear full perfed two piece leathers. The cordura make a great second pair.

Also, I have not been happy with Alpinestars quality. Two of my three zipper tabs broke off withing the first six months. Also the left hip armor pocket is coming apart. Upon inspection, I discovered that the the material of the pocket had been cut too close to the seam. The shop I bought from dropped Alpinestars due to continual quality problems.

I did road test them at low speed and they performed well. Saved my knee and hip and show almost no sign of the fall.

DaffeDuc 07-08-2003 07:42 AM

... i had a textile jacket back when i was riding a gixxer and ended up sticking with my leathers for the same reason... way too hot during the summer/spring/fall seasons - nice during winter.

Duc_N_Har 07-08-2003 02:15 PM

I thought textile was cooler? Haven't tried mine yet, it's been 90-100 degrees here in Pa., but this weekend we are going on a long ride and am gonna try them out. Just gotta figure out what to were under there, probably gonna be a good pair of cycle shorts.

CRASH! 07-08-2003 04:03 PM

Yeah, that's the conventional wisdom, that textile is cooler. There's a problem with that: textile can be cooler because of the venting. My jacket has poor venting. My pants have NONE. I have never seen textile pants with zip vents like the jackets have.

So, contradicting conventional wisdom, my leathers are cooler... because they're fully perf'ed. I freeze my @ss off if it's below 65!

As for what to wear under, sorry you got no useful input on the other thread after the thong issue was raised ;D

I have a range of REI polyprolylene undershirts and pants. Long sleeve and short sleeve shirts (a tank too, but I've never used it riding), long underwear and undershorts like thin bike shorts without the chamois. Mine are all pretty light weight. I select based on weather. If it's cooler, I have poly ski liner pants and a poly sweatshirt. Polypropylene is the best! wicks sweat very effectively keeping you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold.

Some keys to comfort are close fitting undergarments so they don't bunch and cause pressure points, well designed seams (again to eliminate pressure points) and wicking stretch fabric.

REI is a good place to look. There are better brands, like Marmot, but you'll pay much more and REI is good enough.

Sunday it was humid and mid 90's. I wore the perf'ed leathers with a poly tee and the snug poly shorts. Very comfortable. I didn't smell great after 7 1/2 hours, but after a couple of beers I didn't care! (I did shower before retiring with my wife)

DaffeDuc 07-08-2003 05:54 PM

... I usually wear cycling shorts (sans padding)... usually cotton - sometimes lycra tends to make you slide around.

as far as shirts go, i wear either a cotton T-shirt or a poly T-shirt under the jacket. I wear the same outfit under my leathers no matter what the temp is outside (except if it's like 90+ degrees).

during the winter, I add a neck-warmer to the ensemble. still i use the same summer gloves that i wear all year long. same with the boots. no need for ski-socks. just wear regular cool-max socks all year long.

Duc_N_Har 07-09-2003 01:57 PM

Summer gloves in the winter!!!??? Oh yeah, I forgot ....it's that californ-i-a winter!!!!!

Duc_N_Har 07-09-2003 01:59 PM

Hey Daffe, want to borrow my heated gloves and vest for those really wicked winters out there , when it gets to 50 degrres!!!!