headphones in a helmet - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

headphones in a helmet

has anybody ever installed headphones in their helmet? i heard this is an aftermarket thing but i have never seen anything on the net. do people wear ear buds? that would seem pretty uncomfortable. just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: headphones in a helmet

I've tried ear buds( many moons ago) They always fell out.I think that is illegal in some states?? Now that I'm a "veteran" rider I'd rather listen to the engine purring or the pipes growling. They tend to drown out traffic noise, which can be a bad thing. I think it's safer if you can hear your bike and whats going on with the traffic arond you.

1960 Female-&quoteb&quot;-- Pennsylvania<br />2007 Triumph Daytona 675--RED<br />2002 620ie Dark--Sil hi pipes, PCIII, FBF airbox kit <br />1996 HD Badboy(FXSTSB)--Stage I Kit, Andrews Cam, Hi-Performance valve kit, S&amp;S Carb~ 86 lb torque,78 HP<br />1999 Dodge truck-- Gibson super truck exhaust<br />1993 Pitbull-&quotuke&quot;....<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 10/3/1993 -&nbsp; 7/31/2005<br />2003 Pitbull- &quot;Azul&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 2003-----11/5/2005<br />2002 AmStaff- &quot;Buster&quot;<br />2003 Pitbull--&nbsp; &quot;Betsy&quot;
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 03:43 PM

I'm with DUCnHAR, Desmodromic V2 and CF high pipes is the music I like to hear

<br />2002 M750Si.e.<br />DP CF&nbsp; Highpipes, DP open airbox, evoluzion sidestand bypass. DP clip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to DaffeDuc Send a message via Yahoo to DaffeDuc

HJC has the helmet intercom that attaches to the helmet....

the earphone pieces can be shoved in the space in the helmet where your ears go. you can plug in a cellphone, cd player, mp3 player, etc into the intercom as well.

if you have an HJC helmet, the space for the ears are large enough to accomodate the HJC earpieces without squishing your ears. I had the HJC intercom (aka Chatterbox) in my Arai and my ears were always sore after riding. I got an HJC helmet and switched the intercom unit - no problems with sore ears using that configuration

<br />USA &gt;&gt; CA &gt;&gt; Los Gatos<br />SFBMHA
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 01:25 AM
penadamaz

After some around the table conversion with some other motorcyclists, those that have headsets and 2 way communicators really like them for long group rides. Makes things a little easier for stops, notifying the other riders about cows in the road in the twisties (open range!), etc.

A company called Motocomm makes a headset that works with an FRS radio. If you already have a FRS radio this is a fairly cheap route. The few reviews that I have seen on the headsets were positive. I just ordered a set yesterday. I will post my impressions in a few weeks.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to DaffeDuc Send a message via Yahoo to DaffeDuc

which set did you order?

<br />USA &gt;&gt; CA &gt;&gt; Los Gatos<br />SFBMHA
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Site Sponsors

I've used earbuds....they are ok for awhile, but then start to hurt.
i have also used the input on the HJC-90 chatterboxes.
those never turned up loud enough to hear.

Im going to be getting some of the new chatterboxes, X1 or X2...i'll report back how it works when i try them.
I also got one of these that should be great for tunes on the bike (i dont know if i'll use it on the street, prob just on trail riding)
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo/
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

If I were riding a Goldwing across the country, I might want to listen to music, but most of the time when I'm riding the Monster, it would just be a distraction.

Here are the first three items on my list of things you won't find on a serious motorcycle:
1. A sound system.
2. A backrest
3. A cruise control

[Just my opinion]
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 02:44 AM
NJMonster

I had the top of the line Chatter Box (I forget the model but it was the ones with a 5 mile range) and was less than pleased with the performance. They were good below 45mph but above that they were worthless. I never hooked up a cell phone or MP3/CD player to it for fear of distraction but i'm sure if you were riding below 45 it would work well.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:52 AM
Scott_S.

I used a chatterbox X2 on part of my Laguna trip last year. Listened to some MP3's when i rode back solo to meet my wife in SLO. Sounded fine. The headphones went inside my arai liner and I were perfectly comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode