Leathers - Page 4 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 06:30 AM
MarkV

Re: Leathers

Quote:
What you wear all depends on the level of risk you are personally comfortable with taking. It's not a fashion show or a test of bravery.
just my observation, but it seems that cruiser (big twins specifically) folks tend to take more personal injury risks than necessary. for some reason that genre scoffs at the idea of wearing adequate protection. not sure if it's a carry over from the machismo or if it's just a complacency with the type of riding and illusion of safety offered by the larger bike. i don't want to say it's the same mentality you'd find on flip-flop, backwards baseball hat, tank top, blade-wearing squidly types... that is just stupidity. i'm more inclined to call my cruiser/bruiser buddies ignorant/just not knowing any better.... too many times i hear the words "if you gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough."

that being said, i frequently ride with cruiser guys and frequently get chastised for wearing gear. most of the time it's looks of exasperation when i take the time to suit up when i get comments about the "freedom" of not wearing all that crap. but i've survived being run into by a taurus and another incident where i catapulted head first into a guard rail; both occurred with relatively minor injuries because of wearing gear.... both of which could have easily resulted in my death by just a glance at the aftermath on those helmets. i also have a few friends with me today because of gear and i've lost a few friends because they chose not have it.

so with that said please stop to think before you ride... complacency can and will kill you. okay off soapbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:48 AM

I used to wear leather chaps, full jacket, leather gloves, the works. I'd always get comments like, "aren't you hot, why are you dressed like that, it's not wintertime!" At the harley events I'd be the only one in full leather. Everybody would look at you as if you'd lost your mind!!So, as the years rolled by, I slowly went towards the "norm" and ditched some of the protective gear. Now that I have my Monster and am hearing you guys I'm having 2nd thoughts on the gear. But still I'd be out of the ordinary here in my area, but that should not be the deciding factor!! I know... risk vs style!!!But when you are riding with a group of people and all have on T-shirts and jeans and skid lids, you sort of feel very out of place with full leathers. Sigh.... Whats a girl to do!!??( the most sensible)

1960 Female-&quoteb&quot;-- Pennsylvania<br />2007 Triumph Daytona 675--RED<br />2002 620ie Dark--Sil hi pipes, PCIII, FBF airbox kit <br />1996 HD Badboy(FXSTSB)--Stage I Kit, Andrews Cam, Hi-Performance valve kit, S&amp;S Carb~ 86 lb torque,78 HP<br />1999 Dodge truck-- Gibson super truck exhaust<br />1993 Pitbull-&quotuke&quot;....<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 10/3/1993 -&nbsp; 7/31/2005<br />2003 Pitbull- &quot;Azul&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 2003-----11/5/2005<br />2002 AmStaff- &quot;Buster&quot;<br />2003 Pitbull--&nbsp; &quot;Betsy&quot;
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 02:40 PM
RussellM

Quote:
were those racetrack crashes or commuting route crashes?
One crash commuting and one just tooling about.
But with my previous suit (a Dainese Rock 2pc) I had loads of crashes racing Mini Motos (Pocket bikes to you US side peeps), lowsides, highsides etc, some quite nasty!

But put it this way, the K suit I have now is the same suit that some of the 'fill in' riders wear in the MotoGP series, I figure if its good enough for GP riders, its probably good enough for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 07:44 PM

from the ricecooker crowd that I used to ride with when I had my Gixxer, some of them didn't wear the full gear for fear of looking like a squid... AND about 1/2 of the ones who chose to wear full gear did so to attract attention (not a real hooligan attitude but the "arrest-me in my Happy Meal suit" attitude. the other 1/2 did so out of safety reasons
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 03:47 AM

Quote:
How many of you wear full leathers when riding? One-piece or two-piece?

Always full battle gear. Two-piece black leather suit (Damen Snakebite), padded on lower arms, shoulders, upper and lower back, shins, hips. Underneath I wear (depending on the weather) jeans, t-shirt, polar fleece, shorts, shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweater, double knitted socks, nothing at all,...
Alternatively (when it's really cold) I wear the leather pants of the suit, and a Hein Gericke (R) "All Weather (tm)" weatherproof motorcycle jacket.
Furthermore: Forma boots (*).
Leather gloves (depending on the weather either my goretex/leather combination padded ones, or my leather summer gloves with hard protectors).
Helmet, of course. Ducati/Suomy "Superbike" helmet.

(*) the same company that makes Rino boots. The only difference between Forma and Rino is that (A) Rino is a little bit more well known, and (B) whether R I N O or F O R M A gets stamped on the boot.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 04:11 AM

Quote:
You'll never guess what the gear of choice is in the Philadelphia, PA area!! 1 out of 20 riders you see full leathers. For the most part you see, shorts(the baggy kind) t-shirt and sneakers with no socks!!! For cooler days they where jeans(usaully the baggy kind) t-shirt maybe a hooded sweatshirt, sneakers, no socks!! The Harley riders, usually jeans (chaps in colder weather) a good HD leather jacket leather gloves, and on your noggin, a (novelty) skid lid!!! A full face helmet on a Harley is a no-no!!! I... wear a good HD leather jacket, jeans good leather gloves, a fullface for the Ducati, a skid lid for the Harley Almost nobody around here wears full leathers, can anybody explain whyIn the summertime you see guys riding with NO shirts, shorts and flip flops!!!!The girls especially the HD as little as possible!!
If you insist on riding a HD, why not wear a Roof Helmet?

I think these are pretty cool for naked bikes, and even for agricultural purposes such as riding HD's...

And no, I'm not affiliated with Roof Helmets (www.designerhelmets.com)
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 04:18 AM

would you get heckled if you wore a full face? (what's the reason for the "no no" when riding an HD w/a full face helmet?)

i'd think that keeping your jaw intact in a crash would be reason enough for putting up with heckling. the other day, a college student in a 2000 mustang totally ran a red light... i was in the turn lane turning onto the main road. the light was green for at least 2 seconds for me - i started across the intersection and this red mustang comes out of nowhere - she didn't even change lanes to avoid me (luckily i was in the car so my off the line starts are much slower than on a motorcycle). if i was on the monster, i would have smashed her windshield with my body and the monster would have been toast.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 03:41 PM

I'm sorry to say but you do get heckled if you wear a fullface on a harley. I don't know why, but it's just not the the helmet of choice in the harley groups. At an event with 1,000's you'll be lucky to find 50 fullface helmets! Usually skid lids or nothing in a helmetless state.(shrug!!, Sigh!! )

1960 Female-&quoteb&quot;-- Pennsylvania<br />2007 Triumph Daytona 675--RED<br />2002 620ie Dark--Sil hi pipes, PCIII, FBF airbox kit <br />1996 HD Badboy(FXSTSB)--Stage I Kit, Andrews Cam, Hi-Performance valve kit, S&amp;S Carb~ 86 lb torque,78 HP<br />1999 Dodge truck-- Gibson super truck exhaust<br />1993 Pitbull-&quotuke&quot;....<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 10/3/1993 -&nbsp; 7/31/2005<br />2003 Pitbull- &quot;Azul&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 2003-----11/5/2005<br />2002 AmStaff- &quot;Buster&quot;<br />2003 Pitbull--&nbsp; &quot;Betsy&quot;
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 03:47 PM

dBuvens, " agricultural purposes " Does that have something to do with "MANURE"? ( haha ) Ya better watch out I used to mik cows for a living and my sons still do!! We know all about "manure"!!!

post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 04:05 PM

as long as it's all in good fun, I'd probably put up with the heckling if I rode an HD with a full face helmet. I already get heckled as it is for various other reasons. My riding buddies/buddi-ettes are good people so they don't intend any "harm" with the poking and prodding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode