Leathers - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:25 AM

Re: Leathers

Vanson Sport Rider fully perfed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 12:25 PM

You'll never guess what the gear of choice is in the Philadelphia, PA area!! 1 out of 20 riders you see full leathers. For the most part you see, shorts(the baggy kind) t-shirt and sneakers with no socks!!! For cooler days they where jeans(usaully the baggy kind) t-shirt maybe a hooded sweatshirt, sneakers, no socks!! The Harley riders, usually jeans (chaps in colder weather) a good HD leather jacket leather gloves, and on your noggin, a (novelty) skid lid!!! A full face helmet on a Harley is a no-no!!! I... wear a good HD leather jacket, jeans good leather gloves, a fullface for the Ducati, a skid lid for the Harley Almost nobody around here wears full leathers, can anybody explain whyIn the summertime you see guys riding with NO shirts, shorts and flip flops!!!!The girls especially the HD as little as possible!!

1960 Female-&quoteb&quot;-- Pennsylvania<br />2007 Triumph Daytona 675--RED<br />2002 620ie Dark--Sil hi pipes, PCIII, FBF airbox kit <br />1996 HD Badboy(FXSTSB)--Stage I Kit, Andrews Cam, Hi-Performance valve kit, S&amp;S Carb~ 86 lb torque,78 HP<br />1999 Dodge truck-- Gibson super truck exhaust<br />1993 Pitbull-&quotuke&quot;....<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 10/3/1993 -&nbsp; 7/31/2005<br />2003 Pitbull- &quot;Azul&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 2003-----11/5/2005<br />2002 AmStaff- &quot;Buster&quot;<br />2003 Pitbull--&nbsp; &quot;Betsy&quot;
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Hello DUCnHAR,

You seem to be describing many areas in Southern California, though you see more cow skin worn in the twisties. In most metropolitan areas of the USA that I've visited, most of the riders do not wear nearly enough protection. I like my skin too much to ride naked; the only thing naked is my bike...

Dream as if you&#039;ll live forever; live as if you&#039;ll<br />die tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Hit

What you wear all depends on the level of risk you are personally comfortable with taking. It's not a fashion show or a test of bravery. Motorcycling is already a more dangerous mode of transportation than a cage but we've all decided that's a risk we'll take.

I wear jeans most of the time (have one pair of leather pants but rarely wear them). In the summer, for commuting I wear a T-shirt only, for touring I usually throw on a jean jacket or a leather jacket to stop the sun from beating down on me. I got a DOT Beanie for the cruiser and a 3/4 with shield for the Duc and inclement weather. I also have a rain-proof touring jacket with removable lining for winter and rain and pull-over rain pants. But I always where good leather boots (Chipiwa (sp?)) and good leather gloves.

I would ride without a helmet if it were legal here. In fact, the beanie is illegal in Japan ... over 400cc and your ears have to be covered by the helmet, but I haven't been stopped yet.

I like feeling the wind on my face and arms (I understand why dogs stick their heads out of windows in cars).... it makes me feel more in tune with the environment and the bike ... with a full-face I feel safer if I get hit, but I feel like I have less chance of avoiding being hit due to being more distant to my environment.

Well ... that rambled on a bit, eh ... remember this is just my opinion and your milage may very.

Ride safe and ride often everyone

Hit (Ken Ritchie)
95 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 - lowered, piped, K&amp;Ned...
03 Duc Monster 1000s ie - open clutch cover, sil megaphones, TFI, TPO Beast
Nagoya, Japan
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 04:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to DaffeDuc Send a message via Yahoo to DaffeDuc

i had purchased a size "S" pair of leather pants that matches my armored jacket but it was way too large (looked like a medium) - i had it altered for $45 to fit me (picking it up either today or tomorrow).

for the summer, i have the phoenix jacket and pants (same fitting problem - not sure how much i'd be charged for altering the pants again but i'm going to try it).

<br />USA &gt;&gt; CA &gt;&gt; Los Gatos<br />SFBMHA
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 08:59 AM
wwumonster

I'm always in leather (while on the bike), Daniese Jacket and Alpinestar Pants.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:59 PM
RussellM

I wear a Dainese 'K' suit for commuting every day (one piece, full armour, spine protector, even has the back 'hump'), Alpinestars S-MX boots and Spidi 3 Composite gloves (has the steel mesh on the knuckles, scares the hell out of cagers..), infact, along with my Arai RX7 helmet, I'm the perfect image of a racetrack refugee and that scares cagers too! I'm just paranoid about safety the couple of crashed I've had have been in full leathers and I've walked away every time.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 06:01 AM

were those racetrack crashes or commuting route crashes?

post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
were those racetrack crashes or commuting route crashes?
Daffe,

I've lowside crash-tested a set of previous generation Dainese one-piece at about 80 mph on the racetrack and came away pretty much unscathed. No injury in the armor areas and a very minor burn/rash in an unarmored area. Spidi gloves wore through, but no injury. Alpinestars boots were fine; no foot/ankle injury. Your mileage may differ -- often depends on how you fall.

HTH

Dream as if you&#039;ll live forever; live as if you&#039;ll<br />die tomorrow.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 03:29 PM

I just got my altered leather pants back today - they fit MUCH better! no more slidey-slidey anymore.

ALSO found out that although mine comes with the soft CE-approved armor, it is removable and can be exchanged for the hard GP plastic armor (just like all the other armored pants/jackets out there?) So far, the only non-removable piece is on the jacket (back protector). weird

I wear the Kobe Dragon Breeze jacket and pants now... the pants have 2 front pockets that are pretty deep (maybe 5" in height, 4" in width?) to carry change, etc. I think it's pretty nice and it sports the thicker leather that most custom suit makers use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode