Gear that survived or failed (pics)? - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #21 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:57 PM

Re: Gear that survived or failed (pics)?

I'll post more pictures tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanS
How did your hands fare? I have those gloves and had hoped that they would offer good protection. Isn't there kevlar lining inside them?
I have a small amount of road rash on my hand... I was pretty surprised that they failed like they did... I wasn't on the road very long either. I think the leather was CUT, not worn away. I'll double check when I get home. No kevlar inside, maybe on the GP-2 gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie
Damn! The hell with the gloves, how are you?
I'm ok. I broke a rib or two, small concussion I think, some road rash, bruising, and an tweaked right wrist. I'm more dissapointed in myself than anything.... I locked the rear brake up, then let off of it suddenly when the bike got sideways... I know better than that, I did everything wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 AM

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

Last edited by BryanS; 05-07-2008 at 03:39 AM.
post #23 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Good to hear your injuries are not too terrible.
I would have expected those gloves to hold up a bit better but better to have shredded gloves than shredded hands...
Thanks for the post. Gives insight on features to look for in buying gloves.
Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:40 AM
16vt

Weird spot for the gloves to fail.
post #25 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:43 AM

Dragsterhund, glad to hear you are relatively ok. * Don't kick yourself about the brake. *We all *know* what we're supposed to do. *Actually *doing it* is not a question of how much you know, but whether you've managed to mentally program away that particular survival reaction (here letting off the brake when you get sideways). *Even experienced racers, for example, will sometimes chop the throttle a bit and highside. *We all know you're not supposed to do that. *

re the gear issue, I've lowsided with SP2s and slid for a while on asphalt before getting into the dirt. *They held up just fine, and I'm pretty sure i got my hand down on the pavement a bit while I was sliding. *
post #26 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 PM

To a speedy recovory, Dragsterhund!

post #27 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 PM
RST

Sidi Vertigo: Very good ankle, toe, and shin protection. Tested in numerous crashes, during one of which the bike fell on top of my left foot.

Caterpillar workboots: worthless for motorbike operation. One minor tipover resulted in ankle injury and two months of hobbling. I should've known better.

Alpinestars jacket: 1 lowside @ 60mph in the canyons including subsequent tumble down a cliff; 1 lowside @ 60mph on the track; 1 slow lowside in the canyons. 1 40-50mph lowside on the track. I replaced the hokey plastic zipper that zips it to the pants with a manly copper one, but other than that the jacket is still very serviceable.

Alpinestars track pants: same accidents as jacket above, leather is getting thin but they're still good enough to wear.

Joe Rocket Speedmaster gloves: no crashes. The palms wore through after one year of riding. I wouldn't recommend them.

Held Galaxy gloves: Several crashes, the left thumb has a hole from turn signal operation during approx 10k miles. I've seen this happen on other gloves, I liked these overall.

Kushitani GPR gloves: my favorites so far. Several crashes, at least one lowside where I was sliding while putting a lot of pressure on my palms. I have to pairs, that's how much I like them.

Never hit my head hard enough to say anything about my helmets (Arai Signet GT and Suomy Spec 1R).

Kushitani full race suit: One minor lowside, one whicked highside. Both on the track. Had to have some repairs done after the highside, but they were mostly cosmetic (script ripped off). Very nice suit, I can't say anything bad about it.

One thing I know for certain is to stay away from synthetic mesh stuff, no matter how hot it may be. I'd rather not ride because it's too hot than risk going down in a mesh jacket regardless of who the manufacturer is.

-R.
post #28 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Banned

those gloves look quite torn up, but remember, they're only designed to protect you for one fall, if they made them to last forever everyone would complain they're too stiff or offer no dexterity or feel. as for it being a strange place for gloves to fail?? that i don't get, first response is to put your hands out when you fall, most times i've had a spill i've found my gloves ripped up on the palms and often don't remember putting my hands out. i use alpinestars gloves as they have served me well, i've had a dainese glove come off in a fall, now that's a failure.
ride safe,
paul.
post #29 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:35 AM

I went for a slide in some dirt at about 20 mph and put a hole in the palm of my Olympus gloves.

I've also got a pair of A* MX gloves that are wearing out at the fingertips just from regular use. I scratch at bugs w/ my gloves on when I ride and I think that's why the middle finger wore a hole through the seam between the leather and the softer cloth. After that hole was fixed the leather started tearing and is "peeling" down to show the liner material. Also the leather on the index finger has stretched to the point where I can almost put the tip of my finger through the vent hole.

I've also got a Technic textile jacket that got some small holes in the arm from the lowside in the dirt and a JoeRocket Phoenix jacket that looks like it had melted a little bit on the shoulder after after I T-boned a car making a left in front of me. Thought it was odd how the phoenix looked like it melted since I didn't slide or anything... It's just a small spot less than a square inch but it's still weird. Also, some of the seams on the phoenix are starting to get loose threads.

Oh yeah, Redwing steel toe boots! Kept my foot from getting crushed when I fell over after the T-bone and wore through the leather to the steel when I slid through the dirt. Not real riding boots but they've served me well even though they squeak now.

I need to get myself some real gear...
post #30 of 162 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:01 AM

First Gear Kilimanjaro - 45 mph lowside, right sleave ripped to shreads, ground up my elbow and wrist.
Junk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode