Staying protected - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Staying protected

Hello all!
Well, I thought I would pass on a little story about protection (not that kind of protection).* I was in an accident last year in early June.* I was out for 9 months!!!* I severed the peronial tendon in my right foot.* Including the initial accident I had 3 surgeries over the summer, including a skin graft!* I almost lost my foot!* I had excellent insurance that paid close to 50k*for all of the medical bills!*

I was damn lucky!!!* I was taking my wifes Sporty in for a little maintenance, when I was tagged by a beast in an SUV, I was only doing about 8-10 mph when she decided to take a quick left turn on me.* I was able to react quickly and for that I believe I did not have more damage.* Well, I was wearing a t-shirt, plain jeans, short helmet and ankle high nylon hiking shoes.* I thought since I was only going down the street a few miles from my house it was no big deal!* *Now I have been riding since I was 11, I am now 45.* I have taken all the MSF courses, and I taught motorcycle safety while in the Air Force!* That was my first, and if I can help it my LAST dump on the road!

Riding is such a big part of my life that I decided if I was going to continue to ride then I would have to change things.

I now own the following:
-Fieldsheer mesh armored summer jacket
-APS fully armored leather track jacket
-APS fully armored leather track pants
-SIDI Tempur Air Strada boots
-Alpinestars carbon fiber gauntlet track gloves
-Draggin jeans Kevlar padded jeans with detachable armor
-H.D. FXRG nylon jacket and pants with armor
-Shoei RF-1000 helmet

I have also signed up for track days to include instruction and I now have the most extensive collection of motorcycle riding/skills/racing/track/touring etc.....* books you could imagine!

What's my point?* There is so much good gear out there, it would be a shame to read on the forum about someone else going throug the pain I went through just because they couldn't or wouldn't get the gear.

Ride safe

just my 2 cents worth!!*

&quot;Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm&quot;&nbsp; -&nbsp; Winston Churchill<br />banner.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 07:48 AM

Re: Staying protected

Thanks for letting us learn from your misfortune, and I'm glad you're well mended.

IMO this ought to be stickified.

David B.

Mods: DP Megaphones (Supertrapp), GenMar Bar Risers, Dart Fly Screen, Napolean Baren Bar End Mirrors, Sargent Seat, Ventura Rack System, DML Plate Holder<br /><br />Fried Ice Cream is a Reality<br /><br />&quot;...what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.&quot;&nbsp; Christopher Hitchens
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 AM

Made it sticky!

Don, good post. Sorry about all the pain & surgery. You really never do know when fate will smack you upside the head. We all know it would be nuts not to gear up for a track day (and would, in fact, get us booted off the track) but apply different standards for the street. We assume lower speeds = more safety, but as your story illustrates speed is not the whole story. It surely is a hassle to pull on all that crap for a quick ride, but waiting to be seen by doctors, dealing with insurance companies, and physical limitation are all much greater pains in the butt.

No longer hanging out here, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I have no problem putting on whatever gear I need for even a short ride now! I am going to the track to learn more about riding and how my bikes will act in that environment.

"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber

&quot;Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm&quot;&nbsp; -&nbsp; Winston Churchill<br />banner.gif
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM

thanks for the reminder. sometimes i have to force myself to
suit up for a shorter trip. accounts like this will make it
easier to do the right thing.

2003 S4R<br />1990 851<br />1997 Yamaha Yzf 1000<br />1988 Honda NT650
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:29 PM

I feel your pain brother! 10 years ago I was riding home from work (1.5 miles) wearing just an unarmored leather jacket, gloves and helmet when I was hit head on by a drunk driver. Long story short, I ended up with 2 broken toes, broken knee, shattered patela, and a messed up helmet. I finally worked up enough guts to start riding again 5 months ago and now never leave home without my armored pants (mesh and leather), armored jacket, SPidi boots, gloves, and helmet. Motorcycle gear has come a long way in 10 years and there is a lot of comfortable stuff to wear. Absolutely no excuse to leave the home without the proper attire!
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:39 PM

I was just talking about this stuff w/ my Dad, last night. I was sweating pretty good in my pref. Vanson yesterday, but my Dad was glad to see me wearing it.

You need leathers and a helmet no matter when, or what distance you ride, b/c you usually crash or get hit when you least expect it.

"All it takes is a a little tap on the head to change your whole personality."

02 s4 City/Track Bike<br />FBF slip-ons ceramic coated, Airbox, PCII, CC clipons &amp; sliders, Sato Rearsets, CRG Mirrors, Yoyodyne cutch slave, Sarget Seat, chop, carbon tank
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Good for you! It's getting hot out now and it will take a little more to make sure we all wear our stuff!

I have an armored mesh jacket, you may want to look into one.

Don

post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:30 PM
asf

I used to ride with just a jacket. Now I ride with a full oversuit so I can take it off and putit in a bag when I get to wherever I need to go. Try on an oversuit if you have the chance. They are now pretty affordable and for me the way to go For some reason I don't see why people value only their top half

My bottom half is pretty valuable to me....

www.ducatiduals.com &lt;----looking for dual lights
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 PM

i came off at 80+ and went into a canyon wall (after sliding along the non-forgiving asphalt). I had leather jacket (thick), leather gloves and riding boots. I wish I could post a pic of what the gravel did to my boots. I believe that if i didnt have them on I wouldnt have any toes on my right foot.

observers didnt think i would survive, let alone walk away! I replaced everything, and upgraded. Im still paying it off, but it is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode