Staying protected - Page 7 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #61 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 AM

Re: Staying protected

I'm curious which part of the Code book came into play with your accident. I agree it is definitely worth a read.

Glad to hear the gear did its part! Sorry it didn't have a better outcome in terms of how you landed.

No longer hanging out here, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore
I'm curious which part of the Code book came into play with your accident. I agree it is definitely worth a read.

Glad to hear the gear did its part!  Sorry it didn't have a better outcome in terms of how you landed.
No I didn't mean the Code book had anything to do with my accident.  The Code principles did have a big part in laying the foundation for the development of my sport riding skills though, and I think they are invaluable building blocks that everyone should read and understand.  My accident was truly a freak situation.  The 'direct' cause was an absolute crap gearbox on the first generation Honda F4 (99), which they redesigned the following year.  It was a false neutral nightmare and I got one entering a 25 mph lefthander (two lane, trees on right, no shoulder, no margin for error) at about 50mph at full lean, downshifted rolled on the throttle and...nothing.  Scary feeling.  I had one shot to get it back in gear and 'maybe' make the turn.  Couldn't do it, so I did a stoppie, flip, crash.

What I do realize is the 'indirect' cause of my accident was (don't take this the wrong way) that after lots of track days and practice my skill level had advanced to a point where I was too comfortable doing speeds on the street that don't belong on the street in an environment where there are so many uncontrolled variables and lack of margin for error.  The really sad part about my situation (there were many sad parts) was that I realized this about 2 months prior to the accident and discussed it with my wife after I had a ride where I was comfortable dragging my knees through turns while at the same time enjoying the view from the ridges.  I knew it was only a matter of time.  Literally the day before my accident I went out and bought a trailer and decided to only do track days from then on.  My bike was already set up for the track.  Buddy calls, says one more ride, I say sure as long as we don't do the group ride, as it's too slow...

You live and you learn.  Can't change the past.  I do regret that I didn't listen to my own preaching about keeping what belongs on the track on the track.  And that good safety gear is a must.  I know it's hard for many people to afford it, particularly when the siren song of pipes and other bling is out there, but the first dollars anyone spends, even before the bike, should be for quality, good fitting safety gear.  Even if you want to cry when they're cutting off your $2,000 set of custom fit leathers.  As we all know, hospital bills cost much, much more than that.

Final thought. As horrible as my accident and recovery were, there were some really positive things to come out of it that I wouldn't change for the world. Sitting in a chair for months on end gives you time to reflect on your life and get a new perspective that you can't always get until you are forced to step back from your obsession(s).

post #63 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 01:58 PM

This month i bought a textile jacket and pants with CE armor. This season i started to feel really vulnerable wearing jeans. So i went shopping and realized that my fancy leather jacket alone cost the same as the textile jacket and pants combo. For someone on a budget i think you can buy more gear/protection in textiles than high-priced leather (for street riding anyways).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM

I have and use a Icon Tarmac Jacket. I have not read any thing on the kind of performance I should expect out of it. I use it on very hot days here in New Mexico.
post #65 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:16 AM

I ALWAYS wear my gear and I mean always - yet for some stupid reason yesterday I decided that it wasn't necessary as I was only going a short distance to a friends house so I didn't wear my jacket. (literally my first time without my full gear) Nothing happened except I was totally uncomfortable on the bike. Felt exposed and vulnerable to the elements. It's like wearing your seat belt in the car - it's what you get use too. I got home early and my wife started to tease me about not wearing the jacket. Told her I cut the ride short because I wasn't comfortable without the jacket and that I won't do that again. I just read through this entire thread which reinforced what I already know - ATGATT. This is one lesson I don't want to be a painful one - enough DMLers have suffered - let everyone pay heed to their tragic experiences and learned from that.

Stuart
post #66 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firf
Speaking of visibility... has anyone found any inexpensive ways to make the sides of the bike more visible in the dark (I have a Monster 750 Dark and most of my gear, although mainly Joe Rocket and has reflective pieces, is dark)? I have always thought that I might be hard to see late at night on dark roads even with my gear. Are there any frame clip on lights or reflectors that look good and are easy mount for non-engineers. I did see in the past some really fancy lights that could be mounted, but if your not a motorcyle engineer, you'd have to take the bike to a shop and spend some nice bucks to get them mounted.. and they had to be finagled to fit because they really weren't for Ducks....

Just wondering....

Safety to all (and yes, although I did not post it, I also have a road rash story whereby I always wear my armor now.. I have to admit, my helmet is not always on for short rides during the day, but d**n... it should be!)...

I am intersted in the same thing. I just picked up a 620 Dark. My last ride was white and red and stood out even on dark evenings. I do have an idea that I will be pursuing. Many late 60 and early 70 muscle cars had some pretty outlandish stripe packages. One of the stripes on a 70 Mustang and 71 Road Runner were actually flat black, but had reflective properties that were very bright (almost white) when illuminated. I will be contacting some of the aftermarket strip manufacturers to see if the material is available in bulk sheets. If not, I just may buy a strip or two and cut them up for some subtle pinstriping on the bike.

Shoot the horse first, then dig the hole.
post #67 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM

I have a set of overpants for rain, but here in SoCal it can get a bit warm, so I'm looking for some mesh/textile pants. I have a set of Draggin Cargo's with zip-off legs coming sometime in the near future, so that may help. My shoes are my issue. I ride with steel toe work boots, which are better than nothing, but not the best. Who makes a good sneaker-type show with good protection that doesn't feel like ski boots when you have to walk around??

I was asked why I bought a Duc for my first bike. I figure if I&#039;m going to die crying and screaming like a little girl, I might as well look good doing it.<br /><br />WOOHOO. The ugly duckling is back on the road. Nothing like a magic marker to fix paint scratches.<br /><br />CURRENT MODS: <br />bar end mirrors, new front brakes w/ Brembo Goldlines, Chopped tail, Clear Alternatives integrated taillght w/ stock red lens, LED front blinkers, 14T front sprocket, 44T rear sprocket.
post #68 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM

I've been looking at these on the net but haven't seen any in person.
I also am looking for boots and have no idea if these are enough protection or not. Also I like the looks of Sidis and Oxtar. They appear to offer more shin protection.

http://www.xpd.it/jspxpd/products.jsp?id=16&name=X-ZERO.
post #69 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 AM

I like this one better.

http://www.xpd.it/jspxpd/products.jsp?id=17

I use the Icon knee pads and shin protectors, so thats covered. I goes from over the top of the kneecap to almost all the way to my foot. I'm waiting on my Draggin riding pants with extra kevlar sewn into the back of the calves too. All I need now is the Bionic upper body suit, or at least a shoulder/elbow/back setup.

I was asked why I bought a Duc for my first bike. I figure if I&#039;m going to die crying and screaming like a little girl, I might as well look good doing it.<br /><br />WOOHOO. The ugly duckling is back on the road. Nothing like a magic marker to fix paint scratches.<br /><br />CURRENT MODS: <br />bar end mirrors, new front brakes w/ Brembo Goldlines, Chopped tail, Clear Alternatives integrated taillght w/ stock red lens, LED front blinkers, 14T front sprocket, 44T rear sprocket.
post #70 of 109 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 12:15 PM

i high sided last september on my s2r 800... in a t shirt, jeans and sneakers.. now i have an extra patch of skin on my left knee, road rash that looks like a bad tan on my left arm, and scars from road rash on the front left and rear left of my hip... i just got the bike back 2 days ago.. so ive learned... accident was a freak accident aswell.. something caused my rear tire to unexpectedly slide out in a hurry.. next thing i was sumersaulting and rolling at 45mph while witnessing my bike hit a parked car.. i still wake up screaming..

nontheless.. ill never ride with out ATLEAST my jacket... lesson learned.. DONT DO IT MY WAY!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode