Staying protected - Page 6 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #51 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to booch
Re: Staying protected

I was once one of those who rode around with shorts, t-shirt, sneakers until I found out the hard way 20 years ago why thats a stupid idea...now with the exception of my boots (Alpinstars) all my leathers are Vanson or Dainese. Have both perf and solid armoured gear. I like the sound of the joe rocket denims though and will have to look into getting a pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 PM

Yeah so after all these stories, I'm gonna go buy a mesh jacket for the hot summers here in
santa barbara, I usually ride in T-shirt and shorts and vans slippers, but I'm done with that

I dont want to be scraped of pavement

thanks for the stories guys

[s]2005 620 dark [/s], now  2006 749s black
post #53 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 PM

This is a good reminder. Thank you

And thank whoever invented balistic mesh
Its the one thing that keeps me ATGATT

surly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:12 PM

I wrote this on another topic here on this forum and I thought I'd share it here also. One more person that reads this, is another smarter person.

April 29th 2004. That was MY lucky day. I was riding my '01 750 monster to work, nice sunny day, very little traffic at 7:30 in the AM. I was getting up to speed ,shifting into 4th an WHAMMO! that was it for my ride, my pride and my good paying job as a Jaguar technician. A 74 year old woman came over two lanes and hit me head on doing 45-50 MPH. I hit dead center of her van, hit the windshield and supermanned 76 feet. As I found out later during the landing, I had torn the nerves for my left arm out of my spinal cord. The impact shoved my right femur bone through the hip socket, fractured C4,C5,and C7 vertebra's in my neck. I tore the left side rearset bracket and shifter off the bike and in doing so, shattered my left foot to pieces and tore open the whole top. On top of all this I woke up in the hospital on my birthday with my wife and son away at Disney world (I'm in Michigan). After a month in the hospital and many,many months of therapy, I'm able to take care of myself now. I was wearing a HJC helmet that the left hand side cracked open on, Dainese jacket (non leather) , a pair of work pants that I wore a pair of Burton snowboard pants over (cold morning), a pair of leather work boots, and a pair of Dainese gloves that did rip but held up well. With all this gear on, I just had the only open wound to the foot. I don't think any boot would have mattered given the circumstances. I had a lot of neurological testing done and passed, so the helmet I guess did it's job. I am now paralyzed on my left upper half of my body except for some use of my left hand . I also have three titanium pins the size of no. 2 pencils holding my hip together. I have a lot of nerve pain in my left arm,shoulder and hand so I take a lot of heavy narcotics (all legal ).
On my 2yr anniversary, I went out and picked my self up a 1998 750 monster and started working out my left hand on the clutch for several weeks to strengthen it. I also installed an Evoluzione clutch slave to help out. I installed Velcro to my left hand glove and my grip to help keep my hand on the bar. My first couple of rides were kept short, but as my hand got stronger, my rides got longer. I finally out grew the Velcro and the 750. Just last week, I bought an '02 S4 monster from the DML listing. what a rush!!. I now ride every chance I get (over 2700 miles this summer) and spend more time with my family(my son especially)
The moral of this whole story? spend more time with your family (I do now), NEVER give up riding, AWAYS wear protective gear, and whatever you have been putting off, do it NOW because you may never, ever get that chance again.
I hope this posting has enlightened you fellow riders somehow and made you rethink your priorities in life, because unfortunately it took an accident for me to. Ride on.................Harry
post #55 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Who uses overpants? Could you guys who have them let us know how you like them. It looks as if they might shred in a spill on asphalt if they're not leather. Also, they look like you'll have a hard time keeping your position on the seat, since the fabric looks slippery. Some come with armor, so that's cool. I found these on the internet by First Gear http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_h...pants_page.htm Can you guys comment on them, and other brands please?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a Ducati.
post #56 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okemos
Who uses overpants? Could you guys who have them let us know how you like them. It looks as if they might shred in a spill on asphalt if they're not leather. Also, they look like you'll have a hard time keeping your position on the seat, since the fabric looks slippery. Some come with armor, so that's cool. I found these on the internet by First Gear http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_h...pants_page.htm Can you guys comment on them, and other brands please?
I've got some Tour Master rain overpants that I use, pretty comfy, and even have these gangster little suspenders to hold em up. No protection added, but are very comfortable, keep me very dry,and I don't have a hard time staying on the seat thanks to patchs of fabric on em in the back. I personally love them.
post #57 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 AM

I've got the Aerostitch Darien jacket and pants. No problem staying on the seat as the pants are Cordura and not slippery. They have big knee pads and you can buy hip pads, but I haven't. Of course they're a bit of a hassle to get on (all overpants are) but they work well.

No longer hanging out here, sorry.
post #58 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 AM

If you have the means, I highly reccomending picking up Dainese Leathers. Wow, I like 'em.

Amatuers practice until they get it right, Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. - a recent commercial, maybe Gatorade.
post #59 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 10:01 PM

Well my 'accident' was a freak situation (false neutral at full lean in a really tight turn with no bail out). I had about 2 seconds to save it, but couldnt' get it up into gear so had to clamp on the binders and flip her to try to get some speed off before I tumbled into a stand of trees at about 50mph. I had a full Helimot race suit on, Sidi boots, Bohn back protector, Held Gloves and Arai Helmet. Only the Held gloves survived. Everything else did their part and sacrificed to save me. When the dust cleared I was on my back in a thicket of stickers right between two large trees. My right leg was folded up under my body with my right heel under my left armpit. Massively broken right femur. Other injuries that became aparrent later were schredded meniscus in my right knee and a small break in my left foot. My bike pinballed and was obliterated.

It was my only accident in 17 years of street riding and I learned a lot that day (but that's another story). I will never get on a motorcycle without a top quality pair of gloves, boots, helmet, back protector and tight fitting leathers or leather jacket at a minimum. Even if it's just to run to the store.

The most amazing thing about my accident is that, but for the bad luck of how I came down, I probably would have walked away from it totally unscathed due to the high quality safety equipment I had on that day. It's a must for any rider. The other thing I tell everyone who'll listen is that everyone should read Keith Code's books Twist of the Wrist I and II, particularly II, if they intend to sport ride. The information in their is worth its weight in gold. It outta be a law that those books accompany every sportbike sold in America.
post #60 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM

Ouch!! Hopefully you have had a good recovery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode