Staying protected - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #21 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 04:55 PM

Re: Staying protected

I always wear full gear. Have had a few get offs and never a scratch. Bruises yes, but those heal fairly quickly. I often wonder what the young kids riding around on a hot day with shorts, tanktops, and flip flops think how it will feel when they slide down the road and bounce their heads off the asphalt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to deserteagle.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpainter
I always wear full gear. Have had a few get offs and never a scratch. Bruises yes, but those heal fairly quickly. I often wonder what the young kids riding around on a hot day with shorts, tanktops, and flip flops think how it will feel when they slide down the road and bounce their heads off the asphalt.
Or even better...how about the guys (not to stereotype, but usually on a GSX-R, or something of that nature) who you see on the highway lane-splitting at 120+MPH in the clothes mentioned above plus a helmet...The state of Mass requires a helmet, but somehow these guys actually think that there helmet is going to protect them; their head maybe, but going down with nothing but a helmet on at over 100 mph and you are probably going to want to be dead anyway...

I always wear my gear, helmet and jacket at the absolute minimum.

For the sake of clarity, I am going to list every mod:<br />Stage 2 Dyno Jet Kit<br />Remus CF Exhaust<br />Bar end mirrors<br />CF front fender<br />CF shifter rod<br />CF tail w/ integrated signals <br />CF Rear Seat Cowl<br />CF Heel guards<br />Cycle Cat frame sliders (Thanks Strati)<br />Corbin Seat<br />Rizoma Pressure Plate/skirted spring retainers<br />Rizoma Billet Swingarm Arch<br />Nichols AL Flywheel<br />Nichols Kickstand Bolt<br />Nichols Breather<br />De-Smogged<br />K&amp;N Pod Filters<br />Painted Belt and Sprocket covers<br /><br />Coming soon...custom SBK style gauge cluster
post #23 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM

For those that hate the 'normal' motorcycle pants, I have been using the Joe Rocket Jeans which have steel fibers in the lining. They feel like strong heavy jeans (and feel great) and do not look much different than normal jeans. Those with a nice helmet and the Joe Rocket mesh summer jacket and you got a great summer ride.

I also bought the gym shoe style riding shoes with the removable plastic sides. They are fantastically comfortable and are strong enough to handle even the most demanding shifters.

I too was in an accident without coverage and was very lucky (no major damage, a few scars, some gravel they never got out, etc...). But I too am a big fan of wearing protection, although on those really hot days, I still find myself sometimes skipping the helmet on short rides (I hope I never regret it).

Hmmm...

2011 Ducati Monster 796 ABS (Diamond Black Silk) + 14T and Grab Handles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 PM

I just read an account of a girl's slide, complete with pictures of her roadrashed knee. Her final statement was "moral of the story?...I dunno." GEAR! Wear GEAR, I yelled at my monitor. Yeah, I sweat in commuter traffic, but I'm protected. I can understand being young and feeling invincible (it wasn't that long ago for me) but, squids out there have friends wiping out and see the damage.

Chuck Norris is what Willis was talking about
post #25 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpainter
I often wonder what the young kids riding around on a hot day with shorts, tanktops, and flip flops think how it will feel when they slide down the road and bounce their heads off the asphalt.
They can compare stories with Indian Larry when they meet him at the Big Bike Rally in the Sky.* Miss that guy...

There's nothing new under the sun....
post #26 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 06:37 PM

me, you.
here , there.
near, far.
fast or slow , the ground is just as hard!
it only takes the blink of an eye to find out!
always wear your gear!!!!!!....all of it!
thanks Don for the story!
glad it wasnt worse!

and guys-gals, this is a guy who with the years and trainning should have known
better!!!!! imagine the rest of us....yikes!
glad to see Don put it to use now!!!!
btw Don not digging at ya! jus stressing as you already have, the importance of our gear!

thanks again Don1
post #27 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

No worries, live and learn! I'm all covered up now!

post #28 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:38 AM

haha... all of the guys at work make fun of me for suiting up in my riding gear every time i go out and ride... even if it is a 10 min. run, but the way i figure it ---> better in one piece than more i'm really glad to see that all the "duc'" riders are staying safe and sound and covered. yes, it is way better to be hot and sweaty, than dirty and bloody... happy riding y'all!!!
post #29 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to slowpoke13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiccami
* haha...* all of the guys at work make fun of me for suiting up in my riding gear every time i go out and ride...* even if it is a 10 min. run, but the way i figure it --->* better in one piece than more* * i'm really glad to see that all the "duc'" riders are staying safe and sound and covered.* yes, it is way better to be hot and sweaty, than dirty and bloody...* happy riding y'all!!!
Yeah, and sometimes it's good to be sweaty and dirty.

slowpokesan13
post #30 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:02 PM

Don't have ANY problems with the ATGATT lifestyle. I've been a cop since 1974 with the past 21 years as a Highway Patrolman here in MT. I have seen so many terrible bike accidents that at times I wonder WHY I still ride myself. We do NOT do very well against 5,000 pound cars at all.

I've had two bikers with road rash so severe that they ended up in Burn Centers for several days prior to dying. The t-shirt,no helmet, gloves or boots crowd don't generally do very well.

On a good note once saw a Dr. from Wisconsin hit a deer at 75+, high side off his BMW RT and go skidding down the Interstate for 200+ feet and walk away with a broken finger and two sprained wrists. He was wearing an Aerostich 1 piece suit,gloves,boots,etc. The gear DOES work.

When it's hot and I'm tempted to wear jeans and a light jacket for a short ride I recall the out of State rider who hit an armco guardrail with jeans on and left his leg there and bled to death with me holding his hand. I know.......all melodramatic stuff but you have to wear the gear........all the time.
You never know when it's your time.

FN in MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode