Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

How important is the CODE CARD compared to the RED KEY?

49K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Clemtets 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how important is the CODE CARD? I just recently purchased a used Monster but the previous owner did not (or forgot to give me the CODE CARD). He did give me both the 2 black keys and the 1 red key with the tag.

He did mention that the RED key is the most important key and to never lose it. It is used to start the bike and reset the computer if ever the battery gets drained or the bike wouldn't start.

Now I've tried to do a little bit of research and according to my knowledge so far, the CODE CARD (or code) is needed to disable the IMMOBILIZER through the throttle twist grip? And the RED key is used to reset the computer and immobilizer when the battery is replaced or the engine wouldn't start?

So technically, you only need the CODE CARD to completely disable the IMMOBILIZER?
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

So how important is the CODE CARD if you have the RED KEY? Thanks.

PS: If I'd like to get a new code card..would that be possible? Thanks in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
you need the code card for the code to disable the immobilizer...in case your keys dont work...you CANNOT completely disable the immobilizer...you need to perform the code input everytime you start the car...

and the mechanical code for cutting keys

RED key is THE MOST IMPORTANT!!!!...you can reset the keys with red key and reprogram new black keys with red key...

#3 ·
ok, my question is (i hear all different stories), when will i ever need or use the red key or code card? i have two black keys and can make all the copies i want for 15 bucks down the street so i'm not worried about losing them or needing a red key to make one cause you don't need one for that. is there any SPECIFIC thing you do to the bike that you need one or the other for or are they more of a "incase of emerency" tool?

do i need one or the other if:

i disconnect the battery?

go in for service?

disassemble and reassemble?

#4 ·
RED key is for reprogramming black keys...if you have a Ducs that has engine immobilizer

you can copy the black keys but you need to reprogram them to the engine transponder or else your engine wont start...

the key card is used when your transponder for some reason stops repsonding to your programmed keys and you don't have the RED key available immediately (say on a road trip)...the catch is you need to "punch in" the code every time you start the bike and entering the code is a lengthy procress (looks stupid when you are twisting throttle repeatedly on the side of the street)

for some ppl buying a bike without a RED key and code card is a deal breaker...though rare...it cost thousands to replace the engine computer and the keys if your black keys stop working

#9 ·
I'm up in Toronto Canada. When I first picked up my used 2007 S4R the previous owner could not find the code card. I called the dealer he originally brought it from and they do not keep any records of codes or keys. I then called Ducati North America and they told me the same. I also called Ducati Head Quarters in Italy they told me the same no one keeps records and once its lost its lost. Long story short the previous owner found the card and I stopped sweating it. I made a copy and keep it in a safe place. I also made digital copies so that they can be emailed if I'm out on a road trip and don't have the card with me.

#15 ·
Hello to all,well it hapen to me,My black key stop working, it will turn the lock and ignition on but no crank, when i press the start buton, there ts a ring beneat the plastic cover surrounding the key tumbler that`s a antena conected to the E.C.U.{electronic control module} that must identified the key`s chip that`s behind the styliced "D" simbol at the center of key body. every key has one. I think my end up to close to avery strong magnet dumbass me I know better but I spaced out, well I kill the signal.
now I have the code and the red key, I try it one`s and it work for a couple of times. but then I have to imput the code every time with the throttle handle, key on hold throttle wide open engine light will be on, alarm pilot light will blink then stay on,wait for engine light{orange light with engine simbol} to go off then it will flash,if the first number is 3 enmidiatly after the third blink twist the throttle to full and hold it at least 3 second then let go all the way,then light will flash again and do the same until you input all the numbers, after you hold the throttle for the last number about 3 second you let go then engine light will flash rapidly will go off, now you can push start button and will cranck and start. excuse my English is my second Language I am native of Chile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.