Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2007 s2r100 After Market Exhaust Inquiry (yes another one)

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  GinTonic 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a pristine 2007 s2r 1000 and one of the very few problems with it currently is the stock exhaust.

Does anyone have any experience mixing and matching a "cat-eliminating" header/collector pipe with a variety of slip-ons? Eyeballing the Spark cat-eliminator and the Zard side mounted slip-ons (I really hate the high mount under seat set up, is that just me? OR maybe saving myself some $$$ by purchasing arrow slip-ons with the universal header pipes, with a full tune/re-map what are the downsides, pro & cons etc to doing this vs. shelling out for the full system.

Sub Question #1: I did some digging and it seems as if; although arrow lists an exhaust as 05>06 that it will also fit the 2007 without issue. Is this true?

Sub Question #2: Are J Duke and Punch still around? Was really digging your work fellas and was hoping one or both of you is still around to chat.

I'm stoked to start exploring the Hudson Valley on the new whip but it won't be long before I HAVE to let it breathe.

#2 · (Edited)
This website seems pretty dead in regards to early-model Monsters, unfortunately. There's another Monster forum that seems a bit more active: ducati monster forums dot org

I can give you my feedback, having recently went through this on my S2R800. The midpipes from 05/06 will fit your '07 so long as you do not have a lambda port (oxygen sensor). If you do, you need to make sure that your midpipes have a bung for you to be able to reinstall your sensor.

Mixing and matching works with varied results. The problem I've found is that each midpipe set has slightly different outlets which results in the different cans lining up in different ways. My DanMoto cans are mixed with DP midpipes and don't line up quite right. I'm sure the Termi cans would line up better. An exhaust shop should be able to cheaply help though with getting everything square.

It's really easy to remap via TuneEcu, but the only prebuilt map you can load for a full exhaust setup is the DP one. In this case, it's hard to say how perfect the map will be for your setup, seeing as it was designed for the termi cans + open airbox mod. Otherwise, you'd need to dyno and tune it.

I've mixed and matched my S2R into a full racing system (open air box + cat eliminator + aftermarket "racing" cans + retuned ECU). So far, no issues whatsoever, other than being nearly twice as loud as stock. The "cat" acts as a second muffler, so once you've deleted that and the stock cans, it sounds like a Ducati-Harley.

Honestly, there's a power difference, breathes a little better for sure, but is it worth $500-$1500? Not at all. Aesthetically, 2000% better. Performance, 5%? If you can get a nice used set cheap, go for it. But, if you're shelling out for new everything... ehhh....

My 2c.

#3 ·
Phaedrus, thanks man! Thankfully the spark cat-eliminator has a spot for the 02 sensor. I’m looking at a GPR slipons after that. Then I’ll cross the tuning bridge.

REALLY appreciate your two cents for the record. Maybe I should have done more digging before paying $40 for a membership to a forum that doesn’t care about bikes this old any more. Oh well! But hey you responded !

#sadface

Thanks man

#4 ·
I havent posted anything on this site for a longass time, but since I have an 07 S2R 1000 and went through this a few years ago, I thought I would add my 2 cents. I bought mine used and in good condition but it already had the cat removed and aftermarket exhaust installed. The slip ons were Arrow, and they were loud as ****! I actually had to buy dB killers from Arrow directly and inserted them into the cans to reduce the noise to a tolerable level. As far as the performance of the bike with this exhaust, it took some time to get it dialed in right. When I first got the bike, it ran like ****; stalled at the shop I bought it at even. At the time there were no canned maps on Dynojet's website and I did not feel like spending $300 getting it dynotuned so I did some research and borrowed an Power Commander autotuner from a local shop here in seattle.

I dont remember which map I ended up using specifically, but I tried a number of different maps from an M900, the dynotuned map for my old M750ie, an 848, and a multistrada. I basically let the autotuner suggest trims until my AF ratios were around 13.5:1 all around. I should mention that the autotuner threaded into a bung on each header like an o2 sensor; I would do several rides with it on one header and then move it to the other header after making adjustments. I'm also using a Power Commander 5 and the autotuner plugged directly into it.

I've been using the same map now for years and the bike runs great. If you want to try my map, you are more than welcome to.

#6 ·
I havent posted anything on this site for a longass time, but since I have an 07 S2R 1000 and went through this a few years ago, I thought I would add my 2 cents. I bought mine used and in good condition but it already had the cat removed and aftermarket exhaust installed. The slip ons were Arrow, and they were loud as *! I actually had to buy dB killers from Arrow directly and inserted them into the cans to reduce the noise to a tolerable level. As far as the performance of the bike with this exhaust, it took some time to get it dialed in right. When I first got the bike, it ran like *; stalled at the shop I bought it at even. At the time there were no canned maps on Dynojet's website and I did not feel like spending $300 getting it dynotuned so I did some research and borrowed an Power Commander autotuner from a local shop here in seattle.

I dont remember which map I ended up using specifically, but I tried a number of different maps from an M900, the dynotuned map for my old M750ie, an 848, and a multistrada. I basically let the autotuner suggest trims until my AF ratios were around 13.5:1 all around. I should mention that the autotuner threaded into a bung on each header like an o2 sensor; I would do several rides with it on one header and then move it to the other header after making adjustments. I'm also using a Power Commander 5 and the autotuner plugged directly into it.

I've been using the same map now for years and the bike runs great. If you want to try my map, you are more than welcome to.
Hi from Australia. I want to put the high spark full system on. At the moment I’m running tips straight out of the cat. Can I get a copy of your map? What else do I need? I’m new to Dukes. Looking around at what to get next but as I’m doing my own spammer swing in’ I’m sticking with the S2R 1000. I love it.

#5 ·
Here is my 2006 with Termignoni (no baffles) and a Spark header. It's loud for sure. But I really, really like it.

Before and after vid of the cat delete.
https://youtu.be/Z-TjAJxSGdQ

I've been playing with the tune on my own a bit. It runs better than stock but far from where I want it to be.

I have factory S pipes and the spark fit very well. The top pipe could come in 3/16" (3mm) but it doesn't leak so we're good.

It's the right level of obnoxious for me.

Attachments

#10 ·
I’ve got a really perforated lid on my SS air cleaner, with a K&N . I’ve been in some Florida monsoons with that setup, and the first couple of times I feared it might drown out. It ran fine. I’m sure a bit of water got in there, it was inevitable, but not enough to cause a problem. Some air filter housing have a drain just in case water gets inside so it has somewh ere to go besides the engine. If you don’t , drill a small hole in the low point as a safety drain.

#12 ·
?? I have rebuilt quite a few two strokes when I was into dirt bikes. I know Changi g the exhaust doesn’t raid you compression ratio. My question was “is it worth it to go to the expense of raising your compression to make gains in hp”. There’s a difference between a loud exhaust and a high comp engine with a loud exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.