Former S2R1000 owner looking at an S4R - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Garage
I have no difficulty controlling my throttle hand. I do not slide around corners, break the rear tyre loose, or constantly wheelstand. The only time I have to take any extra care with my throttle hand is in the rain. I love my S4RS.

I don't have an S2R. I do have an 1100 Evo ABS. Roll on throttle, top gear, more than 4000rpm, the 1100 has vibration that the S4RS doesn't have.
The seat of the S4RS is more comfortable. The Evo seat tips me into the tank.

2012 Monster 1100 Evo ABS
2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post
I have no difficulty controlling my throttle hand. I do not slide around corners, break the rear tyre loose, or constantly wheelstand. The only time I have to take any extra care with my throttle hand is in the rain. I love my S4RS.

I don't have an S2R. I do have an 1100 Evo ABS. Roll on throttle, top gear, more than 4000rpm, the 1100 has vibration that the S4RS doesn't have.
The seat of the S4RS is more comfortable. The Evo seat tips me into the tank.
You ain't givin it the beans then.

Of course you can putt around on it, but it's a chore compared to many other motorcycles with less torque. Be as awesome as you wan't but you know with a blip that bike will outrun most any rider on the forums.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
You ain't givin it the beans then.

Of course you can putt around on it, but it's a chore compared to many other motorcycles with less torque. Be as awesome as you wan't but you know with a blip that bike will outrun most any rider on the forums.
I feel no need to constantly give it the beans. I want to keep my rider's licence. Maybe I'm cheating, but it's reflashed and fully dyno tuned, so mine runs great low down, and is no chore to putt around on. Yes, a blip is all it takes ....

Stock, well it would stutter, surge, pop and hesitate below 4000rpm ..

2012 Monster 1100 Evo ABS
2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post

If you are looking for an interesting air cooled replacement and just want to try a different machine, maybe check out the GT1000.
Thanks for al that. I am stuck on the older Monster Body styles, though. It's a "thing." lol

"No, it's not broken - that's just what I tiger purrs like."
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post
I do not slide around corners, break the rear tyre loose, or constantly wheelstand.
Riiiight lol

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloguy628z View Post
8,000 mi on the odometer - ask when was the last valve check/adjustment done. same for belt replacement. Big servioce should be done at 6,000 miles.

Power Commander 5 - No PC5 for S4R. It's PC3. Ask who did the dyno and custom map and ask for copy of the map if the seller has it.

K&N Filter - pretty standard with custom map, and is washable so you won't need to buy a new filter ever.

Arrow Exhaust - good quality exhaust. If it's the titanium one then it has baffles. If it's the CF one it's the loud race exhaust and you can only install baffles if you change the end caps. If you neeed info PM me I done it and have the part #'s for the end caps and baffles. Also if the bike still has the OEM cow udder then the Arrows are just slip ons. If there is no ugly udder it's the full system.

Steering Dampener - Steering damper is a good insurance against tank slappers. However it's best to have suspension setup for your weight then tank slappers will be mostly eliminated. The S4R has fully adjustable forks and shock but it was built for tiny Italians.

Rizomo Handlebars and Levers - Nice quality bling (Rizoma is Italian and it's expensive)

Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder - Oberon slave is one of the best quality slave cylinders. It makes your clutch a lot softer.

Rizomo Mirrors (will likely replace these with the care racer style) - again good quality so if you are going to sell them then make some research on the price. You may get more $ for them.

Open clutch cover - Makes the clutch sing that Ducati song

Looks like who ever modified the bike knew what they were doing. However make sure to find out when the valves were done and when the belts were changed (usually done at the same time). Timewise and mileagewise. Valve adjustment should be done every 6K miles. Belts should be replaced every 2 years but you can go twice as long.

If the valves and belts were done at 6K miles last year you're OK.

If they were done at 6K five years ago the valves are OK but the belts should be changed.

If neither was done at 6K you should negotiate the price down.

If you will have to pay the dealer for the service you may look at $800 - $1000 price. Private shops are usually cheaper and you will probably be out of $500 - $600. If you are little bit skilled the belts change is pretty simple and there are tons of videos on YouTube that show it step by step. Valves are harder on 4V engine and probably need to be done by mechanic if you did not do any wrenching before.

Good luck.
Thank you for all that. I'm still sort of amazed at the knowledge here in the forums.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode