Im trading my 98 M900 for a 2007 S4R. What are the maintenance issues with the S4R - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Im trading my 98 M900 for a 2007 S4R. What are the maintenance issues with the S4R

I know what to expect from a 21 year old carbed M900. I had an 2007 S2R for 5 years and I loved it and had very few maint issues in the first 15k miles. Thats when I sold it. I pick up an 2007 S4R this weekend that has 14100 miles. I know I have a big service due at 15k. What else should I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:06 PM

If the bike was maintained then there should not be many problems. I would replace the fuel lines and the pick up screen and fuel filter in the tank. The pick up screen due to the ethanol in gas here is probably melted and the hoses for the same reason have tendency to spring leaks next to the clamps so fuel pressure drops. It's a PITA job but the easiest way is to disconnect the fuel hose on the top then unplug the fuel pump plug and pull the fuel pump and the fuel filter as one. Change the filter, the hoses and the P/U screen and then install it back as one. You need to get fuel submergible fuel line. Otherwise normal rubber fuel line will melts and leaks in a short time.

Another problem with the early years (02 & 04) is with the 59M ECUs. They tend to go bad and the bike runs like shit. Problem is that the bike runs but runs badly and it's hard to pinpoint the problem to the ECU as one does not think of the ECU first thing a problem appears. If you encounter that problem the best is to replace the 59M ECU with the newer 5AM ECU that Ducati started to use on the S4R and other bikes in 2004/5. You can get one from any bike and then get it flashed with S4R map.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 PM

Only thing I have to add is that the S4R is a 996 engine, and they suffered flaking rockers. If the rockers were replaced with later ones, they will be fine.

I bought a 2000 996 in 2013; it had 12k miles, unknown whether the prior owner(s) had done proper servicing. I pulled it apart to change belts and check valve, had two bad rockers. And about half the shims were out of whack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Halo and Orion you are both talking about the previous S4R Monsters. The 2007 is a Testastretta 998 engine, same one found in the 999 but with smaller throttle bodies. It is the only S4R with a different engine then the previous S4R Monsters.
Same engine as the S4RS but with no Ohlins suspension. The 2007 S4R is sometimes referred to as a S4RT. The T standing for Testastretta or the Titanium color it came in. Best color scheme by the way

Known problems:
Quick disconnects.
I have heard of is the quick disconnects on the bottom of the tank going bad. Switching to metal ones fixes this or elbows with inline quick disconnects. Motowheels has a couple options

Stock Regulator Rectifier
Also if it has the stock Regulator Rectifier (R/R) change it out right away! You need to install a Mosfet R/R. They are known for going bad. Some people have had their bikes set on fire. Others (like myself) had it fry their gauges. Then again I had a funky BiXenon headlight at the time so mine could of of been a combination of that. When Mine went out I was going 45+, in a poorly lit area at night and lost all lights and signals. Lucky no other cars around so I coasted to safety.

Crankcase breather
Sometimes the plastic crank case breathers will develop a leak. Honestly you can wait til that happens to change it. I like the Nichols Crankcase Breather myself but there are several good ones out there.

2007 Ducati S4RT
2006 Ducati S2R800 [sold]
My YouTube Videos - S2R800 & S4RT exhaust vids
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
what seems to intimidate most people on maintenance is the timing belt job. i did my own, and i feel that just about anybody with a little bit of patience can do the job as well. the only thing(s) that i would suggest is that if you're going to do it, take plenty of "before" pics of the alignment of the cam gears, as any marks you might see are NOT timing marks. they seem to have no rhyme or reason. another suggestion would be to use two or three different colors of paint pen to mark all 5 gears(four cams plus crank) and old belts before removal, then transfer those same marks over to the new belts. this will assure you have everything lined up properly.

if you mark the belts/gears in two spots where the belt touches with two different colors and a third color on the crank gear, you simply can not mess this job up. as for tension and Ducatis high frequency guitar tuner thing, just use the old 5mm of deflection rule
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	219674  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode