2006 S2R1000 Headlight upgrades on the cheap - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs down 2006 S2R1000 Headlight upgrades on the cheap

Hey everyone, After trawling the web for a pair of months, i've come to the conclusion there are no good resources for my S2R1000. Most of the posts I see are for the newer models and I'm not convinced the ever popular "Kits" are worth the money they're printed on.

Here is what I want: Motodemic headlight; now back from orbit; I can't swing $800 for a headlight.

Here is what I'm looking for:
1. Not a cheap HID/LED blind everyone on the road conversion that I see trucks and jeeps running around with. Knockoff BMW headlights look like garbage.

2. I have flashlights that provide better visibility than the factory headlight. I live in a semi rural area, Deer are a MAJOR concern as are trucks and jeeps with crapy HID conversions. There are zero street lights so when it's dark out, it's really dark. Having a wide beam pattern is necessary to watch for dogs, cats, deer, turkey, rocks, driveway runoff, grass blown into the road.

3. I'd love a factory retrofit or a factory conversion that walks as good as it talks. I'd like a clean factory look but i'm open to other ideas.

Lately google has been turning up nothing but amazon links to garbage websites and crap alibaba resellers.

Anyone have any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:52 AM

I ran this setup on my SV650 I used to have and was pretty happy with it, especially for the price. It has a clean cut off so it wasn't blinding to other drivers. The retaining rings that come with it fit perfectly with that LED bulb.

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...-66-65010.html

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to check that out. I've had to re educate myself with all the new fancy lighting available. Looks like a projector is what I need.

Some the $60 joint worked out pretty well then? I'll have to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonS2R View Post
I ran this setup on my SV650 I used to have and was pretty happy with it, especially for the price. It has a clean cut off so it wasn't blinding to other drivers. The retaining rings that come with it fit perfectly with that LED bulb.

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...-66-65010.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will that headlight fit the stock bucket?

Will I need a mount?

Where are those found?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 AM

Garage
I simply switched out my original bulb with an LED capable of low and high beam.

The smaller sized ones fit right in the original buckets. Including the extra ballast.

Looks completely original and is insanely brighter. You can tell a difference the instant you turn it on.
I also switched out the parking light for a low wattage blue LED so it can actually be used without killing the bike.

All work fine. Huge improvement. 20 minute install. No cheap looking mods. The cost was roughly 60 dollars.

Last edited by breaddrink; 01-13-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Wrong url
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
this is https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/denal...dim-technology
the one on the left is set as spot for driving
the one on the right is set as flood for deer
wicked brite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ohlins1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	219272  

mine is the red one
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Garage
i did an LED retrofit of a Chinese knockoff JW Speaker 8700 for $78.00 2-3 years ago...

https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...ck-bucket.html

you can probably buy the lamp itself even cheaper now, but you'll have to add the expense of the adaptor ring($100 IIRC). also note: two companies make adaptor rings. one is for plastic bucket, one is for metal bucket. they are NOT interchangeable.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaddrink View Post
I simply switched out my original bulb with an LED capable of low and high beam....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
are you saying you used this exact kit? wanna sell me the other one? lol
breaddrink likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmross13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmross13 View Post
Heh.. You know my girlfriends car has two more of the same bulb in there. I thought I might hang on to it for that reason. I found them while upgrading the bulbs in her car, and switched one in to see if there was much of a difference.
The difference was astonishing so I bought the second set.

I bought a different size for my crappy old Sentra too. I'm really impressed with the build quality and tone of these bulbs.
They are MUCH brighter, and so I think they can cause some odd light effects if your car or bike has a particularly directional lens or reflector.
They rotate in the housing so you can balance it out, but I had way more issues with the cars in this regard than the bike as it's dead center, and the lamp lens is symmetrical.

Rob.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaddrink View Post
...Heh.. You know my girlfriends car has two more of the same bulb in there... Rob.
Makes sense, I’d do the same thing 😉 but you’re 100% certain it was THAT kit you linked from Amazon and it fit in the stock first gen bucket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode