Future S4RS owner questions - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Future S4RS owner questions

Hello Fellow Ducati Lovers,

I am excited to be here but more excited about the prospect of locating and purchasing
a Ducati S4RS.
I need owner input. I will be purchasing what will be my first Ducati.
Also, it will be shipped to the Azores Island of Sao Miguel.

I have ridden motocross bikes as a kid and have owned a Harley Dyna for over 10 yrs.

The reason I am going for such a drastic contrast in bikes for Portugal is the type of riding that is available there. Think of a mini Isle of Man with tighter twists, tighter villages and shorter straits, but this doesn't count the super highway the recently built, 200kmh straight easy.

So what do you have to say?

Thanks
Future Fellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:46 AM

Garage
I'm extremely biased and would agree with your choice. I bought an 1100Evo ABS thinking it would be more sensible, but couldn't get the S4RS bug out of my head. I surrendered, and I'm glad I did.

I know not all S4RS are going to be exactly the same to ride, but speaking for mine, goes like stink, loves to lean, agile - in short, the terrific ride I should have bought in the first place.

Unlike my 1100 Evo ABS, no handlebar vibration over 4000rpm.

Make sure the bike you buy has had all its servicing.

2012 Monster 1100 Evo ABS
2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm very new to Ducati, haven't even ridden one yet but the S4RS hits a nerve for me.

What mileage would I consider average for a 2008 and not be considered high?

Thanks for the reply,
Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:30 PM

Garage
I bought a Tricolore that had 27,000 kilometres showing. That cost me $AU13,000. I think that might be a good price for where I am, Australia. That would probably be my own upper limit for preferred mileage. Depends what you can find....

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Garage
i bought a 2007 with 8,000mi and zero records for $6,000USD, but i had a "motivated" seller. that being said, i immediately changed the timing belts myself and added a few upgrades. i now have 15,000mi and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

i would say there is no realistic amount of miles that is "too many" as long as the bike has service history. i wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 30,000mi as long as i know it was taken care of. worst case scenario is a refresh on the pistons and/or rings, bearings, and gaskets. if you want one bad enough, that wouldn't make you flinch.

something to consider would be the 2006-2007 models though, as they are far more abundant with almost 5,000 in total being made in various color schemes. the 2008 MY only produced around 800 and half of them are Tricolore models which are inherently more valuable. one of these days i'll get my hands on a DP/Termi Kit-equipped 2008 Tricolore with low miles and i'll sit on it for 30 years while i beat the hell out of my white/red 2007 and current winter project M900

(Edit): forgot to mention... Congratulations on selecting what is IMHO the best monster ever created. some will say the early bikes are better looking due to the lack of water cooling, and some will tell you the modern bikes are better with their LCD display and varying degrees of ABS/TCS. having owned several Monsters, i can tell you without a shadow of doubt that the "RS" is the most fun ive ever had on two wheels. one last tip, PAY EXTRA FOR A TERMI/DP KIT-EQUIPPED MODEL. while you could buy the ECU or have one flashed, and anybody can modify the airbox and drop in a filter, you will almost never find the full 50mm exhaust for sale elsewhere. ive had a grand floating out there for anyone willing to sell me a prime example and haven't found one in two years...

Last edited by cmross13; 11-26-2018 at 07:39 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
As found on the net - purported to be in response to an enquiry sent to Ducati:

S4RS production numbers
2006 - 3560
2007 - 1375
2008 - 783

Monster S4RS Tricolore were produced a total of 959 units of which 65 units were for the Australian Market. North America got 400.

Seems like a lot of owners gave their bikes a "tail chop", by way of a tail tidy. That may or may not be important to you in buying one. Whether originality is a factor.

Already, the Power Commander III for this model seems to be out of production, limiting tuning options for those of us who like to dyno-tune their bikes.

Last edited by alancsalt; 11-26-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post
As found on the net - purported to be in response to an enquiry sent to Ducati:

S4RS production numbers
2006 - 3560
2007 - 1375
2008 - 783

Monster S4RS Tricolore were produced a total of 959 units of which 65 units were for the Australian Market. North America got 400.
i thought my worldwide production numbers were close, but that last bit cant be accurate since the Tricolore was only produced for MY2008. if they only produced 783 bikes that year, they couldn't have produced 959 TC bikes.

im pretty sure worldwide production was 400 and only 250 made their way to the US :/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Garage
North America got 400. The badges were affixed by Ducati North America and not by the factory. https://www.bike-urious.com/1-of-400...4rs-tricolore/ say the USA got 250, but, if correct, that would mean Canada and or Mexico (If that is part of North America?) got 150.

First set of numbers source: http://www.***********************/i...?topic=64188.0

Seems it is not permitted to name that website here.

Ducati seem to be listing Tricolore separately?

"We thank you for contacting us.

In reference to your email, we would like to inform you that according to our database of the bike model Monster S4RS Tricolore were produced a total of 959 units of which 65 units destined for the Australian Market.

Furthermore we would kindly invite you to provide us a copy of registration documentation of the bike model you are inquiring about in order to update our owners database.

Best regards,

Stefan

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale – Italy"
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-mons...r-numbers.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati-Monster-S4RS-Tricolore-Plaque2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	219040  

Last edited by alancsalt; 11-26-2018 at 10:01 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
08 S4RS Tricolore.

While I love the bike, it is a handful. Depending on your riding skill it may or may not be the best bike you've ever been on. Also your level of local law enforcement and such can play a huge factor in your ability to enjoy the bike.

Take me for a grain of salt if you will. I take exactly as much enjoyment of riding either my S4RS or my Aprilia RS125. I will also tell you I took out some Scramblers a few years back and the 400 was my favorite as it was much smoother of a ride than the larger 803.

If your back roads are long and open twisties then the S4RS is a good idea. If your roads are tight and dangerous, the RS125 shines. The S4RS wants to wheelie out of tight slow corners and can catch you off guard lifting the front or sliding around the rear. However the brakes on this bike are fantastic so it can be pushed hard if you have the skills. Any of the Monster family can be a great purchase (well I hated the 600 when it was here at the house) in the right environment. In fact I still think one of the best all around motorcycles I've ever ridden was the M750 from 2001. It was just the right amount of go with the amazing style that so defined the M series. Easy to handle, just enough power to get in trouble, cheap to insure and purchase.

What I find with the S4RS is it can be a chore to ride around like a daily machine. It just wants to be aggressive at all times. I loved it when I first purchased it but as the streets around me filled with more and more traffic I found myself only wanting to take it out on back road rides on the weekends. Then as I began working more and more hours and found myself with less free time, the bike began to sit. Now it gets a couple hundred miles on it every year just to keep it moving. I'm not selling it because it is gorgeous to look at and that brings me enough joy to justify keeping it.

What I've found is that after owning over a hundred different motorcycles and more Ducati's than I care to list, and with several Ducati and about 20 other bikes here at the house is that my go to is my 97 900SS. That bike checks all the right boxes for me. It's damn fast without being too much. It's got great brakes, a great riding position, I prefer carbureted bikes as well. So I wouldn't rule out an M900 either, especially with Keihin FCR41 flatslide carbs.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:31 PM

Garage
I live in a rural area, so I haven't had those issues. Of course, I expect to get caught sometime, being randomly exuberant, over the limit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3263.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	219042  

Last edited by alancsalt; 11-27-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode