S2R Project - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Chris. I haven't done a good job of keeping this thread up to date, so here's the latest.

Turns out, I had a combination of problems. At some point in the past, someone had used a punch or screwdriver to adjust the chain. This buggered some of the notches in the eccentric, and those were dragging and catching on the swing arm. I WD-40ed the eccentric and worked it back and forth and was able to get more travel out of the adjuster. Unfortunately, the movement was only in the "loosening" direction.

So I bit the bullet and bought a 41mm socket ($35, ouch!) and took the whole works apart. It was surprisingly clean and in good shape, other than the damaged adjuster notches. I filed those smooth and put it partially together. What I found is that there's a slot in the brake caliper bracket that rides on a pin in the swing arm. The slot isn't long enough to allow complete rotation of the eccentric as Chris mentioned. As a temporary solution, I'm going to remove a link from my chain, but I think I'll need to replace it in the near future. It's a 103 link and the rear sprocket is a 41 tooth, both of which I believe are the stock sizes. I think I can measure links to determine if the chain is out of spec, so that's on my to do list.

Also, I was able to finish tuning the injection over the weekend. Starts right up and idles nicely. It's cold and rainy/snowy here, so I haven't been able to take it for a test ride, but I think I'm really close. Now I just need the weather to break...

Breaddrink, I put a couple of pics in post #3 of this thread. Not much has changed visually since then other than a pair of bar end mirrors (one of the originals had a crack).

Thanks again fellas.
breaddrink likes this.

'06 Ducati S2R1000, '06 Ducati ST3s
'00 Yamaha WR400, '03 Honda TRX300ex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:29 PM

Cool to hear about the idling being made happy as well as looking through the eccentric.

Just get a new chain... 525 VMX from DiD. Don't worry about sprockets until they have enough wear you can catch your finger on. I never really subscribed to the must change sprockets at same time as chain sky-is-falling-alarmist-theory. Just change them before the teeth get skinny or you'll go out on a ride and need a friend with a pickup. Those always come with a bed full of chiding, ribbing, or derision, too...

Chris

Chris Kelley
ca-cycleworks.com
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:50 PM

My wife and I each bought S2Rs new in 06 and the only trouble I've ever had with both of them is the rear brake. Mine has over 55K miles and hers has 36K miles. The bleeder valve on the rear brake caliper needs to be upright to get all of the air out. Not that you need the rear brake that often. For my wife, who is only 5'2" tall, having a firm rear brake is nice when stopping and starting. We always let'em warm up due to tight tolerances. I think you'll really enjoy that bike once the sun comes back out.

Let's Ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Just get a new chain... 525 VMX from DiD. Don't worry about sprockets until they have enough wear you can catch your finger on. I never really subscribed to the must change sprockets at same time as chain sky-is-falling-alarmist-theory. Just change them before the teeth get skinny or you'll go out on a ride and need a friend with a pickup. Those always come with a bed full of chiding, ribbing, or derision, too...

Chris
Yup, sprockets look good, so I went ahead and ordered a new chain. No reason to mess around with potentially worn out equipment.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Garage
you can warm up a bike. what with a hairdryer or something.
imho chain life is dependent on sprocket life and sprocket life is dependent on chain life
so changing a chain without doing sprocket means your new chain life expectany is starting off already shortened
you cant always see or feel the sprocket failing but at 7000rpm 180km/h your chain can.
idle is 3 things fuel air and power. look at all 3.
thing about new plugs, better cabling and new battery
consider replacing or atleast cleaning the filter did you check for bird nests?
and fuel . oh hell way too many parts to talk about but go throught the list. buddy of mine took a tank of bad gas. first go around got the injectors cleaned at the truck shop. they do bikes injectors too, second time flushed the tank and cleaned the injectors. actually i think he replaced the injectors.
the trick to the rear brake. simple take the fing thing off when you are doing the job and flip it over. its just a fact.
and buying the right tools means not having to replace stuff cause folks used the wrong one. we could not get my rear wheel off last summer until we called around and finally found a six sided sprocket. its not the points that need to catch its the sides of the nuts.
owing a bike can be soo much fun.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

New chain is on and I've had a chance to put ~50 miles on it over the weekend and back and forth to work. Runs great, idle is smooth, tons of torque... I think I can call this one solved. I'll ride for awhile and check back in if anything else pops up. But other than some minor adjustments (head light and shift lever), I think I'm good to go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode